Deficit Reduction Super Committee- hope?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This ran in the weekend USA Today: Cuts loom as clock ticks for deficit deal

Any chance of this being approved? I don't know what the details are for the $500 billion in new revenue. Anyone know or opinions pro or con? I know if they don't reach a deal, cuts are going to automatically happen.

Anyone know how close Bush's Taxcuts are to expiring? My impression is that we must cut spending... I like Defense and Congressmen's benefits. ;)

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I do not see it passing the house if there is 1 cent of new revenue in it. Remember the idiots known as Tea partiers pretty much demand only tax cuts and spending cuts.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How many guesses do I get? :rolleyes:

How about combining $1,250 billion in spending cuts and $200 billion in interest savings? ;)

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They will simply vote down the triggered cuts and when they do I hope the credit agencies smack them with another downgrade.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Across the news web sites, the story is the same: pessimism reigns.

I don't see any agreement happening as long as conservatives refuse to raise taxes...and that's not gonna happen. After all, the only way Congress would agree to raise the debt ceiling was to create this 11th hour gimmick of a committee in the first place. What's the likelihood of the gimmick-committee coming up with its own 11th hour gimmick?

Interestingly, according to that article Obama has threatened to veto any attempt by Congress to "undo" the automatic cuts, should they be triggered. I think he's right.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How many times must they float these trial balloons, before the Voter cries "Hold, enough!!"?

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

I hope that those cuts are actually cuts and not the "we'll not increase the budget and call it a cut" cuts.

I'm definitely curious to see where this goes in the next days. 750B is roughly 2500$ per person in the USA (using 300M people) and the $500B is roughly a $1700 increase per person, to put those numbers in perspective.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It seems like the only cuts anyone in Congress wants are cuts in the rate of growth as opposed to actual cuts in spending.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given inflation exists anything less than an inflation increase is a cut.

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Washington Post: Supercommittee Members Brace For Failure

Yes from a least harm philosophy, I've been leaning Democrat since Bush Sr declared that what was happening at Continental Airlines was "just business". Working in a labor profession along with the Republican's business-trumps-all centric view, I realized that the Republican view of what "just business" is, is very harmful to average working class citizens.

I've been an Independent voter since the 1970's but I've only voted for one Independant- Jesse Ventura for Governor of Minnesota. At the time it was a good choice all though in the long run, Ventura proved to not be a good compromiser. It would be really nice to have more viable Independant candidates. I really don't want to waste my vote if it means a GOPer will be elected into any position of significance.

It looks like our Democracy has turned into an ineffectual organization controlled by money, without balance, without consideration for the well being of our citizens across the spectrum, completely consumed with taking care of the 1%.

I'm starting to think that although it can be argued that Democrats traditionally look out for working class, due to gridlock maybe we have to clean house in Congress, start fresh. Practically everyone there has ideological baggage. I realize this is fantasy. My fear is that if we were able to do this, our idiot citizens would still be voting in more idiot politicians who will continue pander to the well off, while pulling the rug out from under the rest of us.

Have we proven the Democracy can fail? Maybe it's time for a benevolent dictatorship? Just let me pick the dictator. ;) Seriously I'm more pessimistic about the future of the U.S. than any time in my life.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, you have proven the Democracy can be co-opted, just like any other political system.

If we can recall you, then I'm all for this. ;)

12. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Welcome to reality, sir. Enjoy your stay.

Democracy fails when the citizens who run it fail. We, as Americans, suck at politics and we allow the system to run the way it does. I don't complain about things because I know I'm part of what allows it to function the way it does.

Our democracy is an odd one in which we, the people, vote for our representatives to make decisions that we hope will benefit us. Unfortunately, a lot of people in this country think we operate under a different kind of democracy where we vote and the powers that be change things based on those votes. That's just not how it works.

We don't vote for the changes, we vote for the people who best represent ourselves who want, or claim to want, the same changes.

As far as your dictatorship is concerned, you go do that. I'll stay here with my weird and admittedly broken democracy.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Better the Devil you know?

When he's sticking a pitch-fork in you, and saying "Yep, you're done."

14. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I don't know what that was supposed to mean, but I'm just saying it's a lesser of two evils. I'm not going to support dropping our democracy just to prove a point that we're upset about it, only to fall into something we'll hate even more. Only to wind up saying, "Oh God this dictatorship sucks! But at least we stood up for ourselves and ended that democracy."

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We're ****ed.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is a preposterous process that was rigged for failure from the outset. :( Sadly, the next step is likely going to be who can figure out a way to sell weaseling out of the "automatic" poison pill first.

I'm not advocating for Huntn's benevolent dictatorship yet, but this is just the latest symptom of the "compromise" nonsense where Boehnor and Obama think that if they can bully people into supporting a cherry-picking of the worst Republican ideas paired with the worst Democratic ideas, they can somehow con reality into making it work. If the US were a city, to Huntn's point, it would be getting a financial manager. If it were Italy, it would be getting a technocrat.

17. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Unfortunately what we are seeing is that a two chamber system with each party having a majority in one chamber is a recipe for gridlock. Nothing is going to get done unless the voters give one party a clear mandate and majority in both the Senate and House.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Make voting mandetory; reform the filibuster rules; get corporate money out of politics; and pass rules that regulate the content of advertising and news programming on airwaves regulated by the FCC.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You know as well as I do the GOP does NOT want to make voting mandatory. That would screw them over. It would help the dems. Hell the GOP across the nation has been working to increase the difficulty to vote. I am just glad here in Texas for now the new law is being held up by the courts and has a good chance of not finish being approved before by the courts by 2012 if it is not complete rejected.

We need to make it easier to vote. It would be great if we could vote from our home computers over the internet. Much easier and quicker.

As for the super committee failing I believe a lot of us called this happening on day one. The GOP uses bat **** crazy trying to force the dems hand. I am hoping they (dems) do not give in yet again.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In another present to the American people, the federal government is only funded through mid-December so we can expect more **** to hit the fan when they can't agree on a continuing funding resolution. Seasons Greetings!

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Do you really want people who care so little about politics that they have to be forced to vote by law to vote? Surely they will vote for the wrong people then.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Forcing uneducated people to the polls to make a choice between candidates they know nothing about sounds like a great idea. Especially when a large swath of that voting base has no deterrent to vote anything besides increasing benefits (since they don't pay in federal income tax)

:confused:

Other countries don't force people to vote and they aren't in the cluster**** that the US is in. Time for new ideas. Theres not enough pie to go around, some people are hoarding it in their kitchens and the others are eating it without paying for it.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

One of our representatives, Justin Amash, who has been in the news, largely got his credibility due to repeatedly refusing to vote for bills because he hadn't had a chance to read them. We seem to be getting what we asked for.....

But I agree with you -- trying to force progress by making people vote on bills isn't the right way to go. It would just lead to more quick horsetrading to lock the US into bad compromises that make sense for no one.

24. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

People should vote because they want to, not because they have to.

I actually spend the night before an election researching candidates. I read reviews and endorsements from both conservative and liberal blogs and publications. And I write down a sheet of paper with all of the candidates and amendments I plan to vote for.

In other words, I have a very poor track record of voting for winners.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That does nothing to address the fact that the GOP has been making it more difficult to vote across the nation in droves. For example the Texas law requires you to have a state issued ID or passport and it requires your voter registration address to make your state issued ID. This law was designed directly to target the poor and students. As students normally keep their parents address as permitted address for insurance and easier but they spend 9+ months in another city.
    Poor move from apartments do DL do not always get updated every time. Voter reg is updated but DL not always. Plus it cost money to change the address on the DL.

Noticed both groups tend to vote Dem in larger numbers.

Just going to point out there is a lot more taxes than just federal income tax.

If they pay SS or medicare they pay tax. Or pay any fees to the government they pay tax to the fed.
    That 50% number is crap the GOP shoves out because they do not want to cover all federal taxes because ti drops to much lower numbers.

Like I said the GOP is trying to make it harder to vote not easier.