Definitely figured out n fixed the battery issue, you all should try this

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetGeek407, Oct 1, 2012.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I was in denial after reading all these posts. I used my 4s ios 6 backup to restore my my iphone 5 and BOY did my battery life stink...and caused me to have other issues such as my email not refreshing at all when I refresh it, it would give me an error.

Previously when I did a restore, I was getting about 3-4 hours before my battery went from 100 to like 2% n thats just with phone calls and text nothing else.

I really did not want to do a new phone setup cause of pictures over 3k of them plus like 4gb of apps but mainly my text messages, call log and favorites in phone app.

I decided to setup as new phone, only lost one app which ironically they dont carry in app store anymore trapcall. I actually decided just keep all the pics on my macbook air and didnt put them back on my phone, organized my phone and got rid of the junk and only put the apps I actually use instead of everything under the sun like before.

So far this morning I have been doing the same calls and text for over an hour and my battery is at 90%. Typically before when i did restore it would be like 70% so I think you all should try this

2. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

So when you sync apps back to new iphone, does it bring the data associated with it too?
    What about the text messages etc..you would loose it all if you setup as new iphone

3. p-rice macrumors regular

This was the case for me when I upgraded from a 3GS to the 4. Horrible battery life with the backup. Started fresh on the 4 and instantly noticed an increase in battery life.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, it doesnt transfer app data and yes you will lose old texts.
    Im fine with both though. I setup my i5 as new.
    Battery seems fine.

5. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

damn it :(

6. Gaidin43 macrumors regular

I wonder if this is worth doing. I have noticed bad battery life on my 5 compared to my 4. I don't see too much of an issue losing all my app data it's pretty easy to replace. And text messages eh only gets you in trouble keeping months and months of them.

7. Gaidin43 macrumors regular

After not even a full day of use my phone just hit 20%. That's after a full night charging took it off the cable at 6am and by 4pm it's almost dead after a day of normal usage. My 4lasted way longer then this.

Is this because I restored from a back up or an issue with ios 6 and iphone 5.

8. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

someone should really code a app that makes app backups manually of everything selected. (like the current apps wich can access filesystem of iphone exept for root)

then we can setup as new iphone and put everything back then restore manual backup. this way we lose junk files, thus have a bit more space, and gain the better battery life.

9. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

FWIW - I have two iphone 5's (one for work and one for personal). I had two Iphone 4's both JB'ed. I setup my work Ip5 as new and my personal from the cloud backup. Over 5 days with both phones I would say the batteries are pretty similar.

10. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

There is a non jailbreak app that lets you browse the file system? What app is that?

11. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

That's what I've always said on other posts. If you want better battery life, do a fresh restore from scratch, don't restore from backup or the logs and diagnostics bugs will come along with that previous backup.

12. dgstan macrumors 6502a

When you said you fixed it, I thought you were going to tell us to store the phone in the fridge.

Seriously, I was having terrible battery life. Over the weekend, I let the battery run all the way down to zero and then did a full recharge. This has completely solved all of my issues, at least so far anyway.

13. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Alot of apps actually and yes non-jailbroken. Cant recall the name but something like backup bot. Most of them are not compatible with ios6 yet though.

14. Gaidin43 macrumors regular

I just set up as anew phone last nights hope this actually works.

15. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

This has been tried and disproved in other, earlier threads.

16. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

am I the only one who has restored from a backup and has decent battery life? I can't be... millions of iphones, repeat customers, etc.

17. GenderFi macrumors regular

I tried doing a restore from new, but this is more trouble than its worth for me. I can't lose my texts and all that. Mine has been fine, only when my signal is weak is when troubles arise.

18. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I find this hard to believe considering the strict sandbox guidelines apps have to operate in.

Jail break, no worries, iFile rules.

19. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

No, restored from my iP4 backup, leave everything turned on, and still get 2 days on a charge.

And no, I don't put in the fridge ;)

20. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Me. :)

21. makdeniss macrumors member

makdeniss

Relax this will probably be fixed in iOs 6.0.1. If not return it to get a new one.

22. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

You should always set up as new. Every time a new software update comes out I restore as new iPhone and the battery is ways fine. And about every 90 days I restore it and set it up as new. Restoring from backup always seems to be a battery killer, especially if you are going from an old phone to a new model or from and old iOS to a new iOS.

23. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

This is the same ugly monster thats been around since the 3GS. Some people have 0 problems restoring from a backup, while others get horrendous battery life.
    Its hit and miss. But from research, it does seem that the majority of those with bad battery life will see a positive outcome after they do a restore as new.

And a lot of people will say "Its fine on mine, so that can't be your problem" really don't understand that they have a different image load. Different apps, settings, etc.
    So you can't do an exact comparison.

If you have a short battery span, restore as new. Try it, if its better than great. If not, get a hold of Apple.

24. DavesIknow macrumors member

DavesIknow

Hey - the app is called iExplorer and it works great with iOS6

http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

Enjoy...

25. quantumleaper macrumors newbie

iExplorer works like a charm...I used an install of it on my PC to pull app files off of my old 3g phone (which didn't have access to GameCenter or iCloud), and then copy them to my new iP5.

This allowed me to do a new setup on the phone and still preserve my Tiny Tower, etc, progress!

:)