Definitely Worth Reading: Palin in '12 would give the nation a clear choice

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by theheadguy, Mar 11, 2010.

1. theheadguy macrumors 65816

Enjoy.

Palin in '12 would give the nation a clear choice
    Written by: Leonard Pitts Jr.
    Published Sunday, Feb. 14, 2010; Special to the Sacramento Bee

Dear Sarah Palin:

I hear you're pondering a run for the White House in 2012. Last week, you told Fox News it would be "absurd" to rule it out.

I'm writing to ask that you rule it in. I very badly want you to run for – and "win" – the Republican nomination for the presidency.

I know you're waiting for the punch line. Maybe you figure I think you'd be a weak candidate who would pave the way for President Obama's easy re-election.

That's not it. No, I want you to run because I believe a Palin candidacy would force upon this country a desperately needed moment of truth. It would require us to finally decide what kind of America we want to be.

Mrs. Palin, you are an avatar of the shameless hypocrisy and cognitive disconnection that have driven our politics for the last decade, a process of stupidification creeping like kudzu over our national life.

As Exhibit A, consider your recent speech at a so-called "tea party" event, wherein you dismissed the president as a "charismatic guy with a teleprompter." Bad enough you imply that teleprompter use is the mark of an insubstantial man, even though you and every other major politician uses them. But what made the comment truly jaw-dropping is that even as you spoke, you had penned on your left palm, clearly visible, a series of crib notes.

Mrs. Palin, if Obama is an idiot for reading a prepared speech off a teleprompter, what are you for reading notes you've inked on your hand like a school kid who failed to study for the big test?

In the Fox interview, you scored Obama for supposedly expecting Americans to "sit down and shut up" and accept his policies. But when asked when the president has ever said that, you couldn't answer. Obama, you sputtered, has just been condescending with his "general persona."

I found that a telling moment. See, ultimately what you represent is not conservatism. Heck, I suspect that somewhere, Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan are spinning like helicopter rotors at the very idea.

No, you represent the latest iteration of an anti-intellectualism that periodically rises in the American character. There is, historically and persistently, a belief in us that y'all just can't trust nobody who acts too smart or talks too good – in other words, somebody whose "general persona" indicates they may have once cracked a book or had a thought. Americans tend to believe common sense to be the exclusive province of humble folks without sheepskins on the wall or big words in their vocabularies.

I don't mock those people. They are my parents, my family elders, members of my childhood church. I honor their native good sense, what Mom called "mother wit." But if it is insulting to condescend to them, it is equally insulting to mythologize them.

More to the point, something is wrong when we celebrate mental mediocrity like yours under the misapprehension that competence or, God forbid, "intelligence," makes a person one of those "elites" – that's a curse word now – lacking authenticity, compassion and common sense.

So no, this is not a clash of ideologies, but a clash between intelligence and its opposite. And I am tired of being asked to pretend stupid is a virtue. That's why I'd welcome the moment of truth your campaign would bring. It would force us to decide once and for all whether we are permanently committed to the path of ignorance, of birthers, truthers and tea party incoherence you represent, or whether we will at last turn back from the cliff toward which we race.

If the latter, wonderful, God bless America. If the former, well, some of us can finally quit hoping the nation will return to its senses and plan accordingly. Either way, we need to know, and your candidacy would tell us. If you love this country, Mrs. Palin, you can do it no greater service.

Run, Sarah, run.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats half the point.

Palin running would be a scary move, but its be nice to show just how crazy the tea party/hard right wing is.

That said, I'd rather see a reason GOP candidate run against Obama, who would push the Dems to support good, liberal policy.

4. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

If this woman ever ends up as president America is doomed.

5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

The truth. It'll show that people simply can't think for themselves anymore.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

She won't run. She's stringing people along, because as soon as she says won't run, she's yesterday's news.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would like to see either party put forward a decent candidate for a change.

I am tired of always voting against someone instead of for someone.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I guess that depends on your definition of "decent". I'd say Obama was a pretty good candidate. Clearly, as POTUS, there are issues to getting your agenda passed, but his goals were all pretty good.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I approve of this both for the botanical reference and the succint summation of US politics.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

... as well as the timely use of the word "avatar".

ps, you forgot a "c"

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I like to compare it as:

Sarah Palin in office 1 term = George Bush being in office 4 terms (thank God it's not possible)....

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

there's yet another ACORN thread for you if our darlin' Sarah doesn't interest you......or maybe another thread about how waterboarding is or isn't torture? Nobody has started the Karl Rove "proud of waterboarding" thread....you always like promoting waterboarding so if this thread is boring for you.....have at it!

yeah! waterboarding! that'll get your interest level up!

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apart from the fact that he was probably a little under-qualified and had a pretty shaky start I agree.

15. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Sarah Palin will run.

Sarah Palin will not win the Republican nomination.

Sarah Palin will immediately declare herself a member of the Tea Party and run on that platform.

Sarah Palin will then split the Republican vote...easily handing the presidency to Obama for a second term.

Just a guess.

16. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

This has been my prediction as well.
    It will be interesting to see if that once her more logical supporters realize this they will start begging her not to run, fracturing conservatives even more.

17. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

The first thing I thought of when I read the article was, "What a wonderful botanical analogy!" Having lived numerous years in Mississippi, I got a first-hand look at what Kudzu could do and it fits this situation perfectly.

18. theheadguy thread starter macrumors 65816

What I was really hoping for was a conservative to comment on the content of the article. But alas, it's like asking for an intelligent conversation from a right wing nut; it just doesn't happen. My mistake.

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

QFT

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There are like one or two members on this board who even think Palin has a running chance at an election. Its like watching reruns of Roseanne.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I had come to the same conclusion yesterday that we are currently in yet another anti-intellectual cycle that happens to creep up every so often in America. Glad to see others recognize it as well. I've read some very interesting articles on the history of this phenomenon, good reading.

22. theheadguy thread starter macrumors 65816

I think the best part of your statement is that it is totally irrelevant. Did you even read the article? The point of it was not if she has a chance at winning but if the Republican party, and I chuckle when I say this, Tea Party, will want her as their candidate. I think they will.

Even after losing the election, almost 70% of GOP voters thought Palin actually helped McCain. What's the difference now? Have right wing nuts smartened up or have they picked up the scent of someone else's tracks instead?

We are talking about a person who couldn't even finish her term as governor of a state who's entire budget is smaller than that of the California prison system. Can people really be so stupid as to think she should be our president? Yes, yes they can.

23. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

If she gets the nomination I'll be dropping my registration as a republican (not that I even fit the bill as a party member now). I can't stand her, in fact, I would probably start a campaign against her but for no particular other candidate if she got the nomination. I'd rather have 20 more years of Bush, hell, I'd even take Jimmy Carter, than 4 years of Sarah Palin.

24. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

******* crazy bitch--I'd still bang her though

25. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

The fact that she's gone even this far in politics is stunning. Surely it wouldn't have been hard to find someone even minutely more intelligent. When you have an opportunity to give someone a position which gives them a voice, like the position Palin has been in, it only makes sense to give it to someone who knows what they're talking about, rather than a fool like her.