Degradation of title fonts from iMovie9 to iDVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jko46, Oct 4, 2009.

1. jko46 macrumors newbie

I just finished a project with iMovie9 and ported it to iDVD and burned it at the highest resolution. I used the fonts suggested in the iMovie9 collection. However, the fonts appear with jagged edges when viewed from the DVD. This doesn't occur when viewing the movie in iMovie or when the movie is viewed after posting it to my MobileMe account. Does anyone have a solution to prevent this font degradation in iDVD?

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Are you watching the DVD from a real DVD player, or from the Mac?

Make sure you don't de-interlace your video.

3. jko46 thread starter macrumors newbie

Font degradation occurs in DVD

The degradation of the fonts in titles occurs in the video played on either a DVD player displayed on a high definition LCD TV and on computer monitors (both Mac and PC). I used The Pogue and Miller book, iMovie 09 & iDVD, The Missing Manual, as a reference while creating this movie and DVD and could not find anything in the book or in the MacRumors:Forums about this problem. I'm curious if others have noticed the same thing and found solutions. It is such an obvious problem that I'm surprised it hasn't been addressed.

4. tri3limited macrumors 6502

It'll probably be something to do with the re-compression method in iDVD to convert your iMovie to an MPEG2 for DVD playback. Chances are that it's set to interlace your footage regardless of it's format etc.

Suggestions; Try different DVD software. Try exporting (sharing) a quicktime file from iMovie and then adding it to iDVD.

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

I'm actually not surprised. Apple has a certain feature quality level, and then drops off sharply. Look at how behind Final Cut has gotten. It's just not their priority anymore. Pretty sad.

Anyway...
    Can you post a screen capture pic of the jagged version versus the regular? I have a couple of other trick to recommend but seeing what's actually going on might help.

6. steve123 macrumors regular

What resolution and format is the source video in iMovie?

If you are using a HD source to burn a SD DVD via iDVD, you will find that the professional settings in iDVD do not do a high quality job of field order conversion and frame resizing. In order to obtain good results, you will need to upgrade to Final Cut Studio and use Compressor. A lower cost alternative is to use MPEGStreamclip which does a better job than iDVD but not as good as Compressor.

Steve