Delaware First State to Outlaw Child Marriage: Only 49 To Go

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Scepticalscribe, May 17, 2018.

1. Scepticalscribe, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This past week the state of Delaware passed a law prohibiting child marriage, that is the marriage of anyone under 18 years of age, in any and all circumstances, the first state to do so.

Until recently, I hadn't realised the surprisingly large number of child marriages (apparently 90% of the children in question are female) that have been allowed to take place in the US.

In some of the countries where I have worked, child marriages have a negative impact on female education, - young girls who are married are rarely allowed to continue to attend school - served to inhibit the possibility of female economic independence, and - not least, had a detrimental effect on female health (pregnancy in your early or mid teens is not good for your health - your own body is not fully capable of dealing with this as it is not yet fully developed), was well as showing a strong co-relation with abuse of women, including domestic violence.

Good for Delaware, but I hadn't realised the extraordinary statistics for child marriage in the US; it would be nice to see as many as possible of the remaining 49 states follow suit.

2. millerj123 macrumors 65816

Yeah, Trump proves we’re as back-woods as all-get-out. I weep for my country.

3. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

A law gets passed that changes something that was apparently allowed for 242 years and you can make that about Trump?

4. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And your thoughts on the law having been changed?

5. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Honestly I didn't know a minor could get married. I assumed you had to be 18. Sounds like a good law to me.

6. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think it an excellent law, and I would like to see the other states follow suit.

7. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Evidence please.

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Or you could spin this as a repulsive practice finally being outlawed now that Trump is in office.

Guess it depends on which flavor of partisan hack one wants to be.

Back to the topic, until recently, I had no idea that this was as pervasive as it was.

My first impulse is to say that maybe there should be waivers allowed for girls as young as 16 or 17, but that’s probably too easy to abuse (by lunatic parents and relatives for example).

In any event, the age can be debated but I’m sure we can all agree that it’s pretty messed up to allow/force a 14 yo girl to get married.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

"
    Here are a few risks that are greater if you are pregnant before the age of 15 or you do not seek prenatal care:

• low birth weight/premature birth
    • anemia (low iron levels)
    • high blood pressure/pregnancy induced hypertension, PIH (can lead to preeclampsia)
    • a higher rate of infant mortality (death)
    • possible greater risk of cephalopelvic disproportion* (the baby’s head is wider than the pelvic opening)"
    http://americanpregnancy.org/unplanned-pregnancy/teen-pregnancy-issues-challenges/
    more here:

http://www.momjunction.com/articles/health-risks-of-teenage-pregnancy_00377831/#gref

10. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

This is one of those things that I'd bet many people are unaware of (indeed I was unaware that it was technically legal in most states, including my own), but once awareness spreads (as this decision on Delaware's part will allow for), hopefully then more states will pass laws against it. By age we restrict voting, drinking, smoking, sex with adults...there should be a protection against child marriage as well.

11. mgguy, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018

mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Thanks. The risks noted in these articles are not due to young age per se but also/mostly to not getting proper prenatal care or other risky behaviors (such as not eating well and promiscuity). And emancipated minors are legally permitted to make decisions for themselves, and may be mature enough to marry and raise children if that is what they want to do. Making it illegal for all persons under 18 to marry (and to have a non-bastard child), without exception, seems to me to be too restrictive.

12. 0007776 Suspended

Yep, I think there is room to provide greater protections to ensure their parents are not forcing them into it, but a blanket ban is going too far.

13. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

I was shocked last May when a New York Times story (11 year old girl forced to marry her rapist due to parents' religious beliefs) detailed how child marriage is legal in all 50 states. I don't mind a blanket ban on under 18 kids. There can and will be procedures to get around this on a case by case basis. Let's hope the exceptions are reasonable (emancipated persons, parental approval without duress like in the story forcing a rape victim to marry her rapist, etc).

14. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

If I’m not mistaken it’s very common in Eastern Europe. I recall seeing a news story about it some time back. I was floored how young they were.

15. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

It's blamed on Romani culture, but a surprising number of these marriages happens outside of that community; some are orthodox christians/evangelicals and muslims that force young girls to marry their rapists.

16. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And as your own body is not yet fully developed, if pregnant, your body will prioritise that of the foetus rather than your own which means that the physical development that you need to lay down in those years may never happen - such as the development of bone mass.

There is also a considerably higher chance of maternal mortality occurring during pregnancy or delivery when the mother is a young teenager.

17. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Why in hell should that still be an issue in the 21st century????

Just wait till both parents are 18 to marry or don't bother at all, won't make a difference for the kid. Wether both parents do care for the kid is important not a piece of paper.

18. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Delaware was the worst offender, allowing children as young as 12 to marry with a judges consent. Really a relic of days long by-gone.

Looks like they finally got around to fixing something they should have fixed a long time ago.

19. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I agree that it is silly to bring Trump into this. He has a history of spying on naked teenage girls, not wanting to marry any of them.

20. millerj123 macrumors 65816

You’re seriously suggesting Cheeto head is the good in this? I weep.

21. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Good grief.

Please re-read the post. I’m saying trying to tie Trump into this thread in any way is completely ridiculous and the only reason to do so would be partisan hackery.

Delaware passing a marriage law has nothing to do with Trump.

22. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

It is absolutely 100% disgusting that conservatives argue for child marriage. Truly they are deplorable

That said it’s interesting to see how many famous conservatives are pedophiles or general sexual harassers so this is news that surprises no one

Why are they so FOR the marriage of underage girls??

23. millerj123 macrumors 65816

Completely disagree. His base is exactly the problem. So: but her emails! And, Benghazi!

24. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

You’re ridiculous.

25. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Are you sure that you understand what the topic of this thread is?

I’m thinking you don’t.