Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I recently bought a 2012 MBA w/8gb Ram and upgraded it to Mountain Lion. While Mountain Lion has been running normally (besides slightly worse battery life I believe), the one issue I have found is that if I let it sleep for a long period of time (overnight), then when I open the screen the next morning the display turns on, but there is a 3 second delay before any movement is registered on the trackpad. I hadn't used this much pre-Mountain Lion (since I upgraded very soon after it arrived), but I don't remember this delay. Does anyone else have this issue/a fix, or is it likely just a bug with the initial release that should be fixed in the next update?

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I also have this problem on a Late 2010 MacBook Air. With Lion, everything was instant but with ML there is the 3-5 second delay, it really bothers me.

I think it's because I upgraded from Lion instead of doing a Fresh Install, so I've been prepping my Mac for a Fresh Install and that, I hope will solve some issues.

Anyone have a fix out there?

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
I also have this problem on a Late 2010 MacBook Air. With Lion, everything was instant but with ML there is the 3-5 second delay, it really bothers me.

I think it's because I upgraded from Lion instead of doing a Fresh Install, so I've been prepping my Mac for a Fresh Install and that, I hope will solve some issues.

Anyone have a fix out there?

I have late 2010 MBA as well. And tried both (clean install and update), didn't make a difference. I am getting ~8sec delays... :(:confused:

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I clean installed so it is highly unlikely something went wrong. I'm going to file a bug report and I encourage others to do the same- it's definitely something that can be fixed.

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
I've always had the same problem. Very annoying. My iMac is actually usable faster waking up from sleep than the air.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I'd say it must just be some bug...As I have a 2009 unibody macbook with 4gig of ram and have instant on after sleep

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I just submitted a Bug Report to Apple. I really encourage EVERYONE with this issue to submit one, it's very easy...takes about 3-4 minutes depending on how long of a description you write.

Please, do it guys!

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Seems to me like it happens to only the MBA and rMBP (something with SSD's?).

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I just tried my sisters mid 2012 11" MBA i7/8/256 which was also upgraded to Mountain Lion but it was on instantly and responsive right away.

Splazzatch

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
This happens to occasionally. I have noticed it happens when I have my "fitbit" doc plugged in. Not sure if it is "fitbit" doc or just that something is plugged in.

I have an rMBP 2.3/16/256

anotherjoey

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
I thought this was normal behavior? That after a period of time (70 minutes?) the MBA goes into deep sleep/hibernation, which is why it takes longer to wake up (3-5 seconds before any movement is registered)

If you put it on sleep and try to wake it up within 60 minutes, it goes instantly.

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
The problem related by you happens to me too. But just when in Battery, if I am running my Macbook air mid-2012, i5/4/128, in A/C I've no delay when typing my password.

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
10.8.1 and still no fix- unacceptable :mad:!! And battery life is ok but not as good as Lion... 10.8.2 anyone?

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
I've had this problem three times with my rMBP — twice with 10.8 and once (today) with 10.8.1. However, I don't have a three-second delay, like the OP; I have a complete refusal to wake from sleep (or to allow the screen to be locked), which necessitates a hard shutdown and restart. (The keyboard lights up when I hit the trackpad, but the screen stays black and the login screen never appears.)

Arizor

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2012
I hate to be Mr. Obvious but have you guys and gals checked your hibernate mode?

I can't believe people have literally reinstalled ML without doing a simple check, in terminal:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

Be sure to read up about it first, but I set mine to 0 so it wakes instantly, in terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

colloc

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
I recently bought a 2012 MBA w/8gb Ram and upgraded it to Mountain Lion. While Mountain Lion has been running normally (besides slightly worse battery life I believe), the one issue I have found is that if I let it sleep for a long period of time (overnight), then when I open the screen the next morning the display turns on, but there is a 3 second delay before any movement is registered on the trackpad. I hadn't used this much pre-Mountain Lion (since I upgraded very soon after it arrived), but I don't remember this delay. Does anyone else have this issue/a fix, or is it likely just a bug with the initial release that should be fixed in the next update?

I believe that's how it's designed to work, in order to keep up with the 30 days standby promise. Well we can't have the best of both worlds can we.

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I hate to be Mr. Obvious but have you guys and gals checked your hibernate mode?

I can't believe people have literally reinstalled ML without doing a simple check, in terminal:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

Be sure to read up about it first, but I set mine to 0 so it wakes instantly, in terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

This is the closest I've seen to a fix and will do this for now, although I don't think the pause is warranted. Is there a way to change the amount of time until the computer enters hibernate mode (such as 2 days) rather than only if the computer is left alone for a few hours?

Edit: Found a pretty extensive document from Apple outlining all you can change/view with regards to sleep settings: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/pmset.1.html

Last edited:

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I had this problem on my 2011 MBA when it was running Lion. When I updated to ML, the problem went away. Whether its asleep for 5 minutes or overnight, the delay does not appear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.