Delete app, keep saved game?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluesTank, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bluesTank macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

So I have beaten Infinity Blade II and a few other games that are taking up a ton of room on my iphone. I just know that as soon as I delete IBII they are going to release a great update or something, and I will have lost my character.

Is there a way to remove the app from my phone, but still keep the saved file on my computer somewhere? For example, if I make a copy of the application file and put it somewhere else on my computer, will it maintain the saved game?

I know that if you have iCloud activated, and you delete the game, it deletes the saved data (which is very dumb in my opinion)

Any ideas that don't involve jailbreaking?

Thanks

2. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I think once it is deleted from the phone there isn't a way to save the game data

4. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

Here is a good example:

Infinity Blade just released an update for the ORIGINAL Infinity blade... does that mean that everyone would have just had to still have the original on their phones? Or just have to start over?

5. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I think it depends on the game. I don't know about Infinity Blade 1/2, but after I deleted Angry Birds from my iPhone, my progress was saved in my iTunes copy of the app on my mac, so that when I reinstalled it onto my phone, it was saved. However, I did the same with Real Racing 2 (also a huge file), and I lost all progress.

So yeah, it all depends on how the game saves your data. They should really do it in such a way that the game save data is stored and saved separately from the app itself, so it doesn't get affected by deleting/reinstalling (like its is on the ps3/xbox).