Delete synced photos from Photo App without syncing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benguild, May 10, 2012.

1. benguild, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

benguild macrumors 6502a

So, I stopped syncing my iPhone about 6 months ago when I moved to iCloud. I'm trying to free up space on my device but I have all of these old photos synced on there, and it won't let you delete them!

I primarily just use Photostream now. If I delete all of the image files from this folder using iExplorer am I going to totally screw up my phone?
    /Media/PhotoData/Sync/100SYNCD/

... That's where they all are and they're taking up tons of space.

EDIT, I found two links:
    - http://blog.vinhkhoa.com/article/How-to-delete-all-photos-on-jailbroken-iPad-without-iTunes ... saying how to do this, but I'm not sure.
    - This person says I can just delete Photos and PhotoData folders and it'll be fine? I don't care about any of the photos on the device but I don't want it to break the Camera or Photos Apps. http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12346165&postcount=8

Let me know, thanks!

2. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would proceed at your own risk, but this does appear to have worked for me.

3. iSR5 macrumors member

Try to delete your iCloud account from:
    Settings > iCloud.
    Then it'll ask you if you want to delete the backup, just delete the backup that saved in your device.

Now go and try to delete photos from your iphone photos gallery.
    after you finish, login to your iCloud using your PC or MAC.
    Then manage your backup, and delete the current backup.

Finally, you'll need now to go back to your iphone and login again to your iCloud,
    and it'll backup your device again with a new backup.

this way you won't have to use iEX and screw up your iOS ;) ..

4. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is terrible advice. You're basically just asking me to wipe my phone. Ha, no thanks.

Anyone with a brain can carefully delete these files from their device and recreate their photo database automatically afterward by launching the Photo App.

It worked well, no issues yet. But I also did it carefully and knew about how filesystems and databases work!

5. iSR5 macrumors member

Sorry for misunderstanding,

you can delete the current photos, and reset your icloud stream photo (this will just remove all photos in the saved backup on icloud storage).. then do another backup using the icloud to replace the old backup...

I hope I'm catching up with ya :p