Deleted "all my Files" folder and now i do not have any emails in outlook!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by live4sking, May 13, 2012.

1. live4sking macrumors newbie

I deleted the files in the "all my file folder". Now all my emails are no longer in outlook anymore. I moved all the files back in the "all my file folder" from the recycle bin but even after moving them back my emails are still not showing up in outlook. I tried rebuilding the outlook file but still not working.

Please help me....
    thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

"All My Files" is NOT a folder, it is a saved, smart search, showing you all your files scattered throughout your home folder.
    Putting files from the Trash in there will not help, you have to move those files to your Outlook folder inside the Library folder.

I guess, you don't backup?

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. live4sking thread starter macrumors newbie

No my wife has not backed up her laptop. So how can I fix this?

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

You can try opening the trash by clicking on the trash icon and if the files are still there, select all the files and click on "restore" in the file menu.

I'm not in front of my MBP so I can't be 100% sure that it says "restore" but I'm sure you'll know it when you see it.

5. live4sking thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not hit restore, I just dragged them out of the recycle bin back to the "all my files"

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

That's cool, dragging does the same thing. So all is well?

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

By the way. I strongly recommend getting an external hard drive and using time machine. You really should protect all your files by backing them up.

8. live4sking thread starter macrumors newbie

No it's not. My emails are noT back in outlook.

9. simsaladimbamba

Not really, as "All My Files" is not a folder with a specific location.
    live4sking, go to "All My Files" and select one of the files you put back "there" and then enable the Path Bar (View > Show Path Bar) to see, where that file is and also right click on that file and click "Open Enclosing Folder". Hopefully all the Outlook files are in there and correctly nested (which I doubt) and then look for the Outlook folder inside the Library folder and put them back there properly (a www search should help you finding guides how that Outlook folder is build and organised).

10. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yeah you're right. I forgot it was the All my Files folder. That's why I instructed to restore which I believe would have put them back where they belong.

11. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure you've goofed up. The files could have been stored in all sorts of bizarre sub folders in Outlook. Maybe there's a way to just import them from Outlook somewhere rather than trying to figure out where everything goes.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You're going to have to reinstall outlook.

Mind if I ask you why you wanted to delete all your files ?