deleted an entire folder of music. need to recover! help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adammusic, Mar 4, 2009.

1. adammusic macrumors 6502

adammusic

ok so i dont have time machine set up bc i dont have an external.

i deleted an entire folder of music. must have music.

whats the best free program to recover them ?

pleaseeee help !

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I don't think the concern should be for the "best" free data recovery program- it should be for any free recovery software. I have not seen any free (other than trial demos like Data Recovery II which will allow you to see what it could recover if you buy it) data recovery software at all.:(

3. adammusic thread starter macrumors 6502

adammusic

im trying data rescue 2 now. but i dont have an external to use it.

my friends is windows only . is there a way to format an external for windows and mac without erasing anything on it?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If he has one that is formatted as FAT32 it can already be used with both. If he only has NTFS formatted drives you can install the free utilities MacFUSE and NTFS-3G on your Mac to write to it----BUT everytime you use your Mac at this point you are decreasing the chances of recovering everything since when you erased the files you told the OS that the space they formerly occupied is now free space for the system to use. Any that are overwritten by new data (such as installing new software) will not be able to be recovered.

5. Bondomination macrumors newbie

Bondomination

well if you dont mind spending a couple dollars, i would just go to your local CompUSA or Best Buy and pick up Norton Disk Doctor for Macs. i have that on my computer and the recovery works pretty well, even things that have been deleted for 6+ months.

Hope that helps