Deleted library file in mistake,can't seek Finder to openthen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by talentsky, Mar 8, 2010.

1. talentsky macrumors newbie

I thought I was cleaning unnecessary files of my previous system which saved by updating saving option.however I might deleted the current library file in mistake,coz while I restarted my iMac ,it displayed a small folder icon in center of the grey screen,on which with Finder and question patterns flashing transimittly .I think it means mac can't seek Finder to start .so how to fix it?I didn't back up hd ,reload system is not an option..will the repare permission in disk utility work? What about the restore button in disk utility?will it remove the contents?

Thanks a lot in advance

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You need to boot to your install disc and do an "Archive and Install". That way you get a fresh install without losing any files or applications.

3. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

If you have the install discs boot from the first one depending on how many there are and do an archive and install then run all updates and transfer the data to the new home folder and other folders it resides.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Restart to your computer's restore disks and run an archive & install, and select "Preserve users and network settings". None of your files will be touched.

Once that's done, make a backup, especially before you go poking around in system folders again.

5. talentsky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,though it seems more complicated that I thought some amendments are sufficient to fix before.
    But I don't have enough space for archive in inner HD ,thus new system should be built in an external HD ?

Any other option?
    How about to repair by another mac using diskwarrior?

6. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

You could install the system on the external drive, run updates on the system to bring it to the same level as your system on the internal, drag and drop the missing bit from the external into the internal HD and then delete the installation on the external.

If you've got another mac running the same version then I guess you could drag and drop from that, with a slight caveat in both situations regarding third-party applications, depending if the missing folder has third-party files installed in it. Connect to other computer via firewire by holding f on startup.

7. talentsky thread starter macrumors newbie

The installation stayed at the last minute and nnot to move anymore,so I closed it manually.but it still shows the same that can't find folder.and it shows around 11g reduced after that installation.
    What's the matter if a new system is built ?
    I could view the saved archive for previous system through openning file under restore option in
    disk utility,thus the files are saved but finder is still missing...
    To install by upgrading next time or find a way to save archive and then rebuild system by erasing?

8. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Sorry, it isn't clear what you've done. Did you do the archive and install method on the internal or try to install to an external? How are you viewing these files without Finder?

I think life will be much simpler if you connect to your Mac from another Mac in firewire mode, backup from there and start from scratch, putting back your files afterwards.