Deleting 80GB of iMovie Files Netted About 5GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrison600, Dec 28, 2014.

1. chrison600 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

The wife's computer started throwing start up disc space errors some time ago. Did some looking and discovered the dreaded "Other" consuming most of the HDD space. Did some more looking and found that a big culprit was iMovie files. Bought an external drive and archived all of the iMovie content, then deleted said content from the local HDD. Verified that about 80GB was moved onto the external but MBP was still slow. Checked local HDD space and Other seems to have simply overtaken the newly freed space.

What is up?

Chris

2. chrison600 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could this be because of DropBox? I'm reading things about a hidden cache that can grow into a problem.

Chris

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

To ask the obvious, did you empty the trash after moving the files? Are local time machine backups turned on? They should manage themselves but it might be a problem.

Apple's disk info is rarely accurate about where the space is being used. I use DaisyDisk to map the drive and see where space is being used. Other programs will do the same but I like the visual representation that DD uses.

4. chrison600 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure did. And rebooted the machine just to make sure.

Not sure. TM backs up to a Time Capsule. Does it also make local copies?

I just don't understand why an 80GB change isn't reflected in the on board disk status.

Chris

5. Furry.Marsupial macrumors newbie

Furry.Marsupial

No help on the size issue but T M will back up to the local drive if the remote location is not available when "backup time" arrives - basically, hourly.

Colin

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes, local Time Machine snapshots are saved in the internal drive.

Disable them to reclaim hard drive space. You can do so by opening Terminal and typing sudo tmutil disablelocal

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The snapshots are saved on the internal drive, even if Time Machine is always connected to the external drive or NAS?

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

If you run it with sudo (As shown below), it will include some system files that it woud not normally have access to scan. That is a more accurate representation of what's consuming your drive.
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper
    Another option is to use this terminal command
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

I prefer to redirect it to a text file (this puts it in your Documents folder
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g / > ~/Documents/du.txt

Like the sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper command, it will scan all directories, but produce a text file as opposed to showing the results in a window

While I agree local snapshots are the typical culprit, getting a display of what's consuming the drive is the best approach.

10. chrison600 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much. DiskSweeper showed a very large iMovie "library" file. Turns out that even when you move the files out of the iMovie Projects and Events folders, iMovie keeps data in its Library. Opening iMovie and deleting the library from within the iMovie interface cleared almost 120GB of space.

Sweet!

Chris