Deleting content/data on iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1 without restoring

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tdhurst, Oct 8, 2012.

1. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I'm looking to sell my wife's iPhone 4, but I'd like the new owner to be able to choose to update it to iOS 6.

I can't figure out how to restore it without updating it, and I'd rather not go through the hassle of blobs and whatnot with redsn0w.

If I manually delete, sign out or deactivate every account and app, am I okay?

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Is it jailbroken?

If it is not jailbroken then Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset all settings/data

Every time I do that on a JB iPhone though - it never finishes and sits with a spinning wheel forcing me to do a DFU restore.

3. tdhurst thread starter macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep...

I (stupidly) JB it BEFORE erasing everything.

That same thing is happening to me, which is why I'm trying a different tactic.

4. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I can't tell you how many jailbroken ios devices I have tried to do the erase all contents on but everyone within the last few years error out and have to be restored. My suggestion if you are trying to sell it to make it more marketable is to restore and update to iOS 6 and unlock it through one of the services that have popped up everywhere like ebay. The less than $10 spent will bring you a much broader audience for the iphone. Just my suggestion.

5. tdhurst thread starter macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Really?

I thought the iPhone 4 JB/unlock wasn't available for iOS 6.

Maybe that's just for 4S and newer phones.

6. bogatyr macrumors 65816

JB != Unlock.

You can buy the unlock on eBay and an unlock phone usually has more value. Considering an unlock for the iPhone is $10 on eBay, I'm not sure how much value it adds now.

Unlock is so the phone works on other GSM networks besides the one it originated on.

7. tdhurst thread starter macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep...

Yes, I know JB and unlocking aren't the same, but I'd like to do both.

Apparently it's the a4 chip that makes it possible, not the iOS version.

Anyone have good experiences buying unlocks?

8. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Actually it's the baseband processor that is used for the unlock, and it depends on the baseband firmware version as to whether a "questionable" unlock will work.

9. tdhurst thread starter macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Okay...

Cool.

Yeah, I'm just going to jailbreak and sell it. Not worth the hassle anymore.

10. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Unless you're buying the unlock from eBay. Those unlocks use Apple's system and are not reliant on the phone itself. Apple's system is updated to mark the IMEI as unlocked and when you do a restore on the phone, it'll show that it is unlocked. These run about $10 on eBay and take less than 24 hours usually.