Deleting network names I don't want to see in my WiFi settings

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Nov 25, 2010.

1. patent10021, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Every time I turn on WiFi I see my neighbors' networks and if my network is turned off, my phone automatically joins the neighbors' networks. How do I get rid of those networks on the iP4? I only want to see my network. I know there is a "confirm network" option. I keep that option turned off because I don't want to have to click ok every time. Is this a double-edged sword? On the desktop I seem to remember being able to actually delete networks you don't want to show up in the network window.

Thanks

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Turning Ask to Join Networks off is about all you can do. As far as I know, there is no way to hide the networks you don't want to see. Just like in OS X it's just showing a list of available networks.

Just out of curiosity, why would you ever turn your wireless network off?

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

#1) With the iPhone, I've found that if you leave WiFi on and it auto joins a weak network, your email and other services become really slow because the phone is thinking that it can use those WiFi networks. It's trying to use the weak WiFi networks instead of the stronger 3G network. Therefore I sometimes actively turn WiFi off.

#2) My private WiFi network at home sometimes disconnects / shuts off automatically due to a bad ISP I have (throttling). During those times my iPhone auto joins the neighbors' networks that virtually have no signal therefore rendering the iPhone WiFi useless.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Ahhh. You can get the phone to forget a network by tapping on the blue arrow to the right of the network name and then tapping Forget this Network. If Ask to Join Networks is off it shouldn't auto-join an unknown network. That's how I have mine set up. If my wireless router goes down for some reason then I'm on 3G and not my next door neighbors network.

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Thanks for reminding me about that.