Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_The_Man_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2003
I do not know how to delete OS 9 that came preinstalled with my iBook 700. I have no use for OS 9 and it's just taking up space on my hard drive. I tried to just drag the OS 9 system folder to trash but even after setting permissions it still said it's being used by the system and could not be deleted. Can anyone tell me how to delete it?

bwawn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
This is how I did it on my iBook about a year ago. However, you must be VERY careful with this method... it could screw up your system severely if not done correctly! For that reason, I recommend not doing this method if you're uncomfortable with the possible outcomes from the mistakes and waiting until someone posts an alternative way. However, if you ARE comfortable...

Open up the Terminal.

Type in the following:

cd /
sudo rm -rf "System Folder"

Exactly like that, quotes and everything. You will be prompted for a password after entering the last line.

This deletes everything, without question, from "System Folder" which is your Mac OS 9 folder. Making a slight mistake and entering rm -rf "System" will delete your entire OS X system folder! So once again, I advise being extremely careful with this method, and finding an alternative if you are uncomfortable with it.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
[edit: looks like bwawn beat me to it, and his way of doing it is probably better unless you have Terminal-ophobia ;)]

Firstly (and obviously) make sure Classic isn't running.

Also, did you try logging in as root? If you don't have a root account, it's pretty simple to create one using NetInfo Manager (in your Applications-->Utilities folder).

If you got your Mac in 2002 or earlier, you can start up from an OS 9 CD, and I'm pretty sure you could delete the 9 system folder from there, without having to deal with OS X permissions and such.

Good luck.

--Fred

_The_Man_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2003
Thank you both very much, I did as you said and successfully uninstalled OS 9. As you probably know by now I'm not terminal-fobic. :D

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by bwawn
cd /
sudo rm -rf "System Folder"

Exactly like that, quotes and everything. You will be prompted for a password after entering the last line.

hmmm i didnt know i could do that. i always take the trouble to do the 'sudo rm -rf System\ Folder/' action...which gets really annoying with odd characters and such

thx for the inadvertent advice

lmedland

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2003
England, United Kingdom
Originally posted by sparkleytone
hmmm i didnt know i could do that. i always take the trouble to do the 'sudo rm -rf System\ Folder/' action...which gets really annoying with odd characters and such

How much space did you save in the end?

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Originally posted by sparkleytone

Hmm... I think you're right on this one, and you do need the \ before the space, otherwise it'll treat "Folder" as an argument, and not as part of the name of "System Folder" which could be a real problem if Folder is a valid argument.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Just do a Get Info on your System Folder and that'll tell you roughly how much you'll save. In my case it's around 250 MB. I've actually removed 9 in the past because I never used it, then almost immediately ran into several situations where I needed it back! So I've reinstalled it now, and I just keep it there, whether I'm using it or not (250 megs is better than waiting 10 mins for it to install) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.