Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I ordered BTO 27" iMac 5K with i7 + m395x + 1TB SSD. Today morning I got tracking details, it says order was shipped from Fremont, CA on November 5th and will be delivered on November 12th to Upstate NY.
I ordered thru Apple Business and on phone. Anyone else having similar experience in terms of transit time after order is shipped ? Mine is coming thru FEDEX, and I'm not too happy with apple's shipping preference, instead of shipping on priority it is shipping thru FEDEX ground.
What is average delivery time for others for their BTO iMacs ?

VZGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
Ordered a BTO on 10/28 shipped fedex ground on 11/2 to Apple Store in NJ. Pickup Was 11/9 moved to 11/10. Was shipped from California also. Seems about right for FedEx ground. You could of paid for expedited shipping, but really not worth the 1-2 day difference.

Last edited:

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
Mine took 18 days to get to me...well it actually won't get to me till today. Count yourself lucky if you got it that fast. Mine went FedEx Air but that is because I called and complained after they kept delaying my order and other people who ordered way after me got theres already.

Via Fedex Air, mine took 4-5 days but I live up by Alaska so that really isn't a good data point for yours. Fedex beat their estimate for me.

looking4anotebo

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
I'm in Minnesota and ordered on Wednesday, 11-4, very early in the morning. It went to preparing for shipment the next day and actually shipped that same day in the afternoon. It's scheduled for delivery 11-11, next Wednesday, but I can tell it's going to be actually Tuesday that they deliver it. Should be Monday but FedEx Home Delivery doesn't do Mondays....

looking4anotebo

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
I don't know, maybe it is beneficial to order very early in the morning. Or maybe they just had a surplus of i7/395x/2Tb models sitting in California.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Yeah don't know what is going on with BTO but it is interesting to see Apple using FEDEX Ground for this shipments by default instead of upgrading it to 3 days atleast.
Also are iMacs BTO built in USA or are they assembled in China mine says shipping from Fremont, CA ?

jrsub

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2015
I ordered a 27inch I7, 512 SSD, M390 on 11/2 and Apple site says it will be delivered to Apple Store on 11/11. I just called Apple to see where it was shipping from an they said all BTOs ship from China to an Apple warehouse in US and then to final destination. I hope to get it a day or two early like when I ordered a BTO mac-mini a couple of months ago.

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
This is why I paid for next day shipping..........I don't want an iMac bouncing around on a truck for a week.
Considering the cost of the iMac...........the shipping charge was well worth it IMHO.

Turned out Apple didn't charge me for the next day shipping anyway......so I got next day shipping for "free"

toofargone

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2015
My first BTO arrived (shockingly) in 3 days after I ordered it about two weeks ago. But it was DOA. I ordered a replacement to be shipped to the store so I could check it out before lugging it home. This one spent 7 days in processing before shipping. It shipped in one day (I live 15 minutes from Fremont). Going to pick it up in a few hours. i7/512/16/395x

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.