Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
noel4r said:
Although this is a good deal, you can oftentimes find this same monitor on sale for $400.00. I got mine for $386.00 plus tax.

Since you have it, maybe you can answer...

Can I connect two computers to this monitor at once? Like my dell to the vga and mac to the dvi?

Does it come with a dvi cable?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
mrzeve said:

Can I connect two computers to this monitor at once? Like my dell to the vga and mac to the dvi?

YES you can hook up more than 1 computer.

YES it comes with a DVI cable (and VGA).

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
mrzeve said:
Can you enter more then one coupon at checkout?

These coupons are stackable, yes.

noel4r said:
Although this is a good deal, you can oftentimes find this same monitor on sale for $400.00. I got mine for $386.00 plus tax. Found the coupon at http://www.xpbargains.com

I've heard of it for under $400, never seen it though. This is the best I have seen it at. I don't need one, yet, :), but I thought I'd share.

mmoin

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Just got mine today. Unbelievably amazing, and running at 1600x1050 just fine off my 12" PB. I am simply blown away.

aboutthat

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
Washington, DC
The price, as of today, is $436.83 with free shipping using the following codes:

JRC0Z8PWB21?L2: 33% off (exp. 7/12)

QNH?6RRV384M1H: $65 off (exp. 7/12)

You can find more coupon codes at a lot of sites, I've been looking at http://www.techbargains.com, where these codes were.

I'm so tempted to buy one as I'm typing on my cramped little IBM laptop here at work...must have more screen real estate! But the student/intern/musician in me is saying I shouldn't until I see it drop below $400, presuming it will again. Anyone care to convince me otherwise? :p

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I've heard a lot of people rave about this monitor, and I am very tempted, but can't quite make up my mind. I am currently using a Sony SDM-HS75P/S 17" display that is just stunning, but would like the extra size of a 19" or the extra space of a widescreen like this Dell. I still have until Saturday to take the Sony back if I decide to go for it. I already know that the Dell is a fantastic buy. The major problem is that my eyes are not that good, and I could really use the larger pixel size of the 19". The pixel size of the 20" widescreen is actually slightly smaller than that of a 17", so the only thing I would be gaining is extra width, but not larger pixels. I also went to a Dell kiosk today hoping to see one in real life, but alas, they did not have anything bigger than 17". Has anybody here seen the Sony that I have (the XBRITE version), and if so, how does the Dell compare?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
dejo said:
Can I ask when you ordered it? And when it was promised to ship by?

I ordered one Wednesday July 6th about 12:00 PM (EST). UPS has it scheduled for delivery on July 8th. Very good IMO. Dell's processing time may be a little longer now that many people are capitalizing on this deal.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Hmmm

With this monitor, how would I be able to dual screen for my mac mini?

Could I connect it to my mini with the dvi, and the other monitor i have with vga into the dell monitor it self?

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
aboutthat said:
The price, as of today, is $436.83 with free shipping using the following codes:

JRC0Z8PWB21?L2: 33% off (exp. 7/12)

QNH?6RRV384M1H: $65 off (exp. 7/12)

You can find more coupon codes at a lot of sites, I've been looking at http://www.techbargains.com, where these codes were.

I'm so tempted to buy one as I'm typing on my cramped little IBM laptop here at work...must have more screen real estate! But the student/intern/musician in me is saying I shouldn't until I see it drop below $400, presuming it will again. Anyone care to convince me otherwise? :p

Even better. :) I am SOOOO tempted to buy one.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mrzeve said:

You can hook up one DVI computer, one VGA computer, one composite video source and one S-Video source. You cannot hook up 2 DVI inputs without a external switcher of some kind

With this monitor, how would I be able to dual screen for my mac mini? Could I connect it to my mini with the dvi, and the other monitor i have with vga into the dell monitor it self?

:confused: No. Your Mini has ONE video output, it can drive one screen, period. Also, the VGA on the Dell is an input only, it does not mirror the signal out to a second monitor.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
You can hook up one DVI computer, one VGA computer, one composite video source and one S-Video source. You cannot hook up 2 DVI inputs without a external switcher of some kind

:confused: No. Your Mini has ONE video output, it can drive one screen, period. Also, the VGA on the Dell is an input only, it does not mirror the signal out to a second monitor.

Thanks for clearing it up. Thats what I was interested in. Mirroring the signal.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Very nice monitor (and from Dell :eek: )
Still, I am going to pass this one by for a 20" Apple Cinema Display (can not wait to order one).
But for the $, its a hard deal to pass.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
dmw007 said:
Very nice monitor (and from Dell :eek: )
Still, I am going to pass this one by for a 20" Apple Cinema Display (can not wait to order one).
But for the $, its a hard deal to pass.

May I ask why specifically you decided on the Apple 20"? I too think it is a beautiful monitor, but can't justify the price to myself. I just bought a Sony (see above) because I didn't want to send $800 for a monitor, and it looks great to me. I have also been considering the 20" Dell, but can't bring myself to get one, even for roughly the same price.

tuqqer

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2005
Boulder, CO
Once you experience dual monitors, it's really hard to go back:
Dual-20inch-monitors.jpg

Note that these are both Dells (I covered the Dell name with a little electrical tape), and both the standard (non-widescreen, don't know their official name). I'd love to see a comparison between two standard screens, and two widescreens. I wonder which would be more useful. I do think that, once you go with two screens, the extra height of the standards is more helpful. But I'd still love to see the comparison, side by side.

Do note the little round velcro stickies that hold the two together. That's a Tuqqer Special™.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Get em. I got mine at $486 a while back and LOVE THEM. I also got the 2405fpw, got 2 of these as well for $750 each. They also rock. These are way better than apples monitors and they have all the right connectors.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Well,I guess that I just joined the Dell monitor crowd. I took back the Sony HS75P today (hated to see it go - the picture was gorgeous) and ordered the Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen. The extra width will be nice, and I will probably get used to the black casing. It was just such a great deal at only $437 that I couldn't pass it up!

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
tuqqer said:
Once you experience dual monitors, it's really hard to go back:

Note that these are both Dells (I covered the Dell name with a little electrical tape), and both the standard (non-widescreen, don't know their official name). I'd love to see a comparison between two standard screens, and two widescreens. I wonder which would be more useful. I do think that, once you go with two screens, the extra height of the standards is more helpful. But I'd still love to see the comparison, side by side.

Do note the little round velcro stickies that hold the two together. That's a Tuqqer Special™.

Tugger - nice picture - the 20" look larger than I expected. Could you tell me who makes the goose-neck iSight holder you're using? I don't believe I've seen one before.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
danny_w said:
Well,I guess that I just joined the Dell monitor crowd. I took back the Sony HS75P today (hated to see it go - the picture was gorgeous) and ordered the Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen. The extra width will be nice, and I will probably get used to the black casing. It was just such a great deal at only $437 that I couldn't pass it up!

437? I can only get it to 460! SHARE THE SECRETS!

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
wako said:
437? I can only get it to 460! SHARE THE SECRETS!

Current dealmac.com prices shows 2 coupons, one for 33% of and the other for $65 off.

"Dell Home offers the Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1"
Widescreen LCD Monitor for $749 with free shipping. Activate
coupon codes "JRC0Z8PWB21?L2" and "QNH?6RRV384M1H" to drop
the price to $436.83. That's $27 off our last mention and
the lowest total price we've seen for this display since
late May. The 2005FPW sports a native resolution of
1680x1050, 600:1 contrast ratio, 300 cd/m2 brightness, an
integrated 4-port USB 2.0 hub, and S-Video, composite video,
DVI, and VGA inputs. Offer ends July 12 at 7 am ET."

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
danny_w said:
May I ask why specifically you decided on the Apple 20"? I too think it is a beautiful monitor, but can't justify the price to myself. I just bought a Sony (see above) because I didn't want to send $800 for a monitor, and it looks great to me. I have also been considering the 20" Dell, but can't bring myself to get one, even for roughly the same price.

Perhaps its the beautifull design, the convenient side ports, their outstanding performance and color accuracy, etc...

To be honest, I don't really know...perhaps, I should just go and buy two Dell 20" LCDs (about the same price!).

Still, I would like my monitor to blend with the rest of my system (ie- silver ACD with silver Power Mac G5).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.