Dell 24" Ultrasharp Monitor Advice.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wramirez1021, Dec 14, 2009.

1. wramirez1021 macrumors member

So I'm getting the 24" dell ultrasharp monitor, i decided to go 24 instead of 27 because i read that the 27 has a VA panel and i want a IPS panel. Anyways, onto my question, ill be connecting my PS3 via HDMI and my uMBP most likely through DVI. I would like to also somehow connect cable to the monitor. I have read you can do it with a digital box that outputs HDMI or DVI if the monitor is HDCP compatible. Is there any other way to do this? At least until i purchase a bigger TV for viewing but since this monitor is a "one size fits all" so to speak with HDMI and DVI inputs i would like to be able to watch Television...sorry for the lengthy post but any help is appreciated! thanks.

2. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

3. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I am going to assume that you are looking at the U2410 as the others are PVA (except 2405WFP which is old). Anyway you can connect the MBP via DisplayPort, the PS3 via HDMI and still have DVI and VGA left. Then you just need a HDMI->DVI adapter for cable or use S-Video, component etc..

4. wramirez1021 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response! Yeah, im talking about the u2410. I guess to clarify, my apartment has cable included in the rent. Just a standard wall jack, no cable box. Can i connect the cable from the standard cable wall jack directly into the monitor or do i need a cable box that outputs HDMI/DVI?

5. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I believe the answer is no. That model does not have a Coax input as far as I am aware. Is that not listed on the product page?

6. johnnj macrumors 6502a

You'd need a monitor with a cable-ready tuner built into it. Generally speaking, that would make the monitor a TV. Also, depending on your cable provider, your selection of channels will be extremely limited. In order to view any channels which aren't provided as clear-QAM (if your cable service is digital), you'd need a TV with a CableCard slot and a cableco provided CableCard. However, CableCard is widely agreed to be an epic fail because cable companies don't really want to support them (although they're mandated by federal law) and more often than not they're problematic.

So basically, the best way to do what you want to do is to get a set top box that's compatible with the cable service provided in your location.

Good luck with your new monitor.

John