Dell 2407 as Gaming Monitor?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by NickD, Jul 11, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I'm going to be purchasing a 24" Dell LCD for my new MacBook Pro, and currently don't have a TV to run my original Xbox through. I know that the Dell can be used as a monitor for my Xbox, but would you recommend buying an actual TV instead? What are your reasons?

NickD

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A lot of folks my way are using monitors in lieu of TV's, a bunch of my friends don't watch TV anymore but still play games. There's nothing wrong with it. Just get an EyeTV and you're really sorted.

3. applekid macrumors 68020

A major disadvantage I've seen (I've been researching this option for a while) is that a lot of these monitors fail to do as aspect ratios properly or fill the screen incorrectly. BenQ's 24 inch LCD is supposedly the most compatible, depending on revision.

A TV might be easier to deal with, but you will likely get a lower resolution when compared to a similarly priced monitor. But, with a TV, at least you will have a plethora of inputs and RCA audio ports.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And a significantly lower price, a 2407 is about £400. Good luck finding a 1080p TV for that price :D Dells have a great footprint too.

5. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

I have a 2407WFP hooked up to an HD set-top-box via the HDCP compliant DVI port, an iMac on the VGA, and 6 game consoles hooked up to the rest. My only complaint is it can't display the signal from my N64 and Saturn properly. It reads them as some super low res. like 300x200 instead of 480i/p. It's easily solved by passing the signal through my VCR.

6. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Thanks for the quick responses guys! Looks like I'm going for a 2407 then. Unless I can snag a 3007 . . .