Dell 2407WFP A04 vs Dell G2410 vs Dell 2209WA vs Samsung F2380

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SpookTheHamster, Nov 2, 2009.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm looking for a new monitor to go with my MBP, and I'm stuck trying to choose between the ones listed above.

The 2407WFP is a couple of years old now I guess, but it's the rev A04 version, which supposedly fixed the (few) problems with what was otherwise meant to be a great screen. It's an sPVA screen.

I've heard good reviews of the G2410, with its LED backlighting. It's still a TN panel and I hear so much bad stuff about them.

The 2209WA is an eIPS panel which I like the sound of, but it's smaller and lower resolution.

The F2380 is a cPVA panel, the image quality looks better but I've heard bad things about blacks on this panel.

Anybody tried one or more of these displays and want to get involved?

2. TonD macrumors newbie

Assuming you mean the 2407WFP-HC, I am writing this post on that very monitor. Presumably on an older revision though, but I am not sure how to check. The problem you are referring too is probably the black trail/ghosting you can see on this monitor. It is true, I see it when I focus on it, I don't see it when I don't focus on looking for imperfections but focus on the superb color representation and overall fine image quality the pva panel gives me. And I even use it for gaming (BF2) on which I've found the trails clearly noticeable but totally unobtrusive. And if that's fixed there is not much against this beast.

It even suits nicely next to a 24" iMac ;-)

Don't know any of the other panels, sorry...

3. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm not talking about the 2407WFP-HC, I'm talking of the last revision of the non-HC model.

4. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

5. TonD macrumors newbie

Then my assumption was wrong, sorry for that. In that case I will shut up now, for a lack of useful things to say :)

Good luck with your choice!

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Pro tip: We can better advise you if you state what you're doing with your monitor (photography, movies, etc.?).

7. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'll be doing a lot of things with my monitor :p

Mainly I'll be doing CAD work, so colours/speed aren't much of an issue. Aside from that though I do quite a bit of photography in my spare time, which is what put me off the Samsung and G2410.

I'm a student, so I will watch movies on the screen, but any of the monitors listed will offer decent enough quality to keep me happy with films, considering that I'm coming from a badly calibrated, blurry CRT TV.

8. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

How important to you is high resolution? Of the monitors you've listed, the best value for money would be the Dell 2209WA. But if you can spend a little more, the NEC EA231WMi is 1920x1080, IPS, and only about $360, plus it has NEC's high build quality and standards.

9. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Have you the NEC in person? I was considering the Samsung, but the NEC sounds quite nice. Think it would pair well with a 15" MBP?

10. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Wow, that really does look like a good deal, and exactly the sort of monitor I've been looking for!

Sometimes it's really worth posting these annoying questions on MR, because I've been searching for a while to find a new screen and going in circles.

11. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

It's got a 14ms response time though - a bit slow. Wonder how this would be for the occasional game (FPS)?

12. Scottological macrumors member

I just received my 2209wa today. I considered a number of monitors, but found this one on the Dell refurb site for $199. I'm a writer by trade and spend ten or so hours a day in front of the screen. I also have bad vision, so something that doesn't cause too much eye strain is key.

Out of the box, the 2209wa is just exceptional. The difference between an IPS and TN panel is immediately noticeable. For my purposes, 22" is big enough. I would have liked to get the extra real estate of a 24" IPS, but frankly they were too expensive.

I do light photo editing and movie watching (Hulu, etc.) and found that the 2209wa works just fine, despite the lower resolution. Viewing angle is great, blacks are deep, and colors are sharp. All in all, I'm very happy with my choice.

2209wa for a writer...

14. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I'm happy with my 2209WA connected to my Mac Pro. I also have an older Samsung 19 inch (equivalent to older Dell 1900FP) and the difference is striking. Excellent color reproduction, even backlighting, crisp, sharp text.

15. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have a 2209WA on my Mini. I haven't noticed any jagged edges on text on mine, but maybe I'm not as attuned to it as others. The text isn't tiny and is easy to read. Then again, I work on a similar monitor (Dell p2210) at work, so maybe I am just used to the settings.

If anyone is interested, Dell seems to have an updated model of the 2209WA. It's called the U2211H. It is similar, though it has a better resolution. (1920x1080)