Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
has anyone used Dell 43 Ultra HD 4k Monitor P4317Q with Macbook Pro 2016 or 2017 ?

if yes, can I get some feedback ?

Im using LG 34 inch Ultrawide with my Macbook pro 2013 right now, and its CPU is red most of the time, and I have to unplug thunderbold always.
its really frustrating, as it wastes a lot of time.

So, Im looking to buy the new macbook pro 2017 with this monitor for the best experience, as I work on final cut pro most of the times and cannot afford to go back and forth with pluggin unplugging.

rodwarren

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2017
I just bought one and tried it with both my iMac and MacBook Pro (both new systems running Sierra 10.12.6) and... FAIL. It is blurry and for sure will cause eye strain. It's going back to Dell. Dell does not make Mac drivers for this monitor (and I think for any of their other monitors for that matter). Their tech agent said that 'plug & play' is the only option when connecting to a Mac. The Dell software to arrange the monitor into a 4-in-1 works only with Windows and is not downloadable for Mac. I"m sure the resolution would be very clear when connected to a Windows system with the drivers from Dell, but for Mac, does not work unfortunately. It is a 4K monitor but will only provide a max of 2K with with a Mac system (verified with both my iMac & MacBook Pro). A few more calls to Apple and to Dell tech support confirmed I'm out of luck. Calling the Dell return line.. :(
>>>> Anyone reading this post, if you are aware of large sized monitors that have Mac drivers I would appreciate a reply.

skkeptickle

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
I use MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with P4317Q using mDP (Thunderbolt). See post here.
I don't know what ports the 2016/2017 MBP's have, you really need mDP or DP for high quality output I think.
I use Premiere Pro with no problems. The MBP fan is pretty busy during video playback or rendering but it works, doesn't jitter. I mean, one would always like a ever faster computer for rendering - grass is never green enough in that area:) HTH

youngdavo

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2018
I had troubles (screen blacking out for a couple of seconds every now and then) when using a HDMI cable, but now I've bought a USB-C to display port cable, it seems rock steady. resolution at 3180x2160 and looks great to me. I'm a developer, and I really appreciate the screen real estate for coding and comparing files. I've got no interest in the company, but I purchased my cable from "cable chick", because down here in Australia, sometimes display cables like this are hard to come by. I paid AUD $50 for my cable, but we are subject to the "Australia Tax" on everything down here, so please don't compare it to prices over in the USA.

Attachments

• IMG_2994.JPG
    IMG_2994.JPG
    757.2 KB · Views: 3,270

stormtroopar

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
I had troubles (screen blacking out for a couple of seconds every now and then) when using a HDMI cable, but now I've bought a USB-C to display port cable, it seems rock steady. resolution at 3180x2160 and looks great to me. I'm a developer, and I really appreciate the screen real estate for coding and comparing files. I've got no interest in the company, but I purchased my cable from "cable chick", because down here in Australia, sometimes display cables like this are hard to come by. I paid AUD $50 for my cable, but we are subject to the "Australia Tax" on everything down here, so please don't compare it to prices over in the USA.

Just curious, what is your thought / review of this monitor and if you think its a good monitor for coding? How sharp are the text on something this big for example? Eye strain over long period using it? ...etc. Thanks.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I have one of these monitors in the box right now which I can test. I know i have been having issues with the Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Dock and experiencing issues with text looking like "rainbows" vs the black font color (monitor is U3417W and U3415W).

This didnt happen with my 2017 MBPro 15 but is happening with the 2018 MBPro 15" Retina. Will test with the P4317Q.

Reactions: stormtroopar

mikegem

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
I know this is an old thread, but for posterity, it does work; I suspect @rodwarren may have been using an HDMI 1.0 cable, which doesn't support 2160p@60hz. If you use a USB-C to displayport adapter it's just fine. See my post in another thread here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dell-p4317q.1973662/#post-25715352
I have a P4310Q also. I use a Thunderbolt<-> Displayport cable to my mid-2015 MBPr. I love the monitor, which works in 4K for me with this setup.

However-after my recent upgrade from Sierra (where the P4310Q worked perfectly) to High Sierra, Apple's Preview program now drops thumbnails if I move a pdf file from the laptop screen to the Dell monitor.

I've attached two screenshots showing a pdf opened on the MBPr (thumbnails displayed), then the same file after I dragged it to the Dell monitor. The thumbnails disappear immediately when the pdf touches the Dell screen. This never happened in Sierra.

Cycling Thumbnails under the View menu in Preview brings them back, but they don't stick. Close the file, re-open, thumbnails are there on the MBPr screen: drag to Dell->gone.

I've tried restarting, resetting Dell to factory settings, trashing .plist files, etc., no change.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is it fixable? How, please? Thanks!!

Attachments

• MBPr screen.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 222
  • moved to P4310Q.pdf
    376.8 KB · Views: 208

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I have a P4310Q also. I use a Thunderbolt<-> Displayport cable to my mid-2015 MBPr. I love the monitor, which works in 4K for me with this setup.

However-after my recent upgrade from Sierra (where the P4310Q worked perfectly) to High Sierra, Apple's Preview program now drops thumbnails if I move a pdf file from the laptop screen to the Dell monitor.

I've attached two screenshots showing a pdf opened on the MBPr (thumbnails displayed), then the same file after I dragged it to the Dell monitor. The thumbnails disappear immediately when the pdf touches the Dell screen. This never happened in Sierra.

Cycling Thumbnails under the View menu in Preview brings them back, but they don't stick. Close the file, re-open, thumbnails are there on the MBPr screen: drag to Dell->gone.

I've tried restarting, resetting Dell to factory settings, trashing .plist files, etc., no change.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is it fixable? How, please? Thanks!!

I have a Dell U38 and on initial setup with my 2017 15" MBP had some issues with connection and UI lagging. The factory reset fixed half of it and the PRAM reset on the MBP fixed the other half. Hope you find a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.