Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Dell and Other Resellers Sign On

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to MacCentral, Dell and other unnamed companies have re-signed reseller contracts with Apple:

Dell Computer Corp. is among several companies that have re-signed retail contracts to sell Apple Computer Inc.'s products, sources close to the negotiations confirmed for MacCentral on Wednesday.

Previous reports indicated that several resellers were deauthorized.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Well, either Apple caved or there's just too much money to be made selling iPods :rolleyes: .

Seriously, there may be other "devices" down in the pipelines that Dell and others may know about and don't want to miss out. Total speculation on my part.

Comment

davebo

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
not on Dell's website yet

Well, as of 4-16-03, 1:55 PM CST, Dell still doesn't list iPods as being available on their website . . . .

Comment

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
*ducks arn's fist of death*

Originally posted by chewbaccapits
Yo dell...Whats my name bitçh?

Be careful... our good buddy's in administration don't like that kinda talk... ;)

(namely, the elusion of the language filter)

Comment

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple definitely is the one who gave in. Let's be honest folks Apple had more to lose than Dell, Target, etc. This way though everybody wins.

Comment

esome

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2002
Re: Sale!

Originally posted by MacBoy88
Look @ them craw back!!

What makes you think this is the case? Perhaps Apple went out to Dell and said please sell our iPods and here's the contract and then Dell laughed and said come back when you have a reasonable contract you dorks. So apple scurried off with it's tail between it's legs only to come CRAWLING BACK having made the requested changes.

Comment

BubbaTAC

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2002
PC iPOd on a Mac

I have a question. Dell always has good deals on iPods, and of course Apple never has ANY sales, just refurbs.

Can I buy a PC iPod from Dell and use it on my Mac? Does it have a bios I have to flash or something?

If anyone knows how to do it, could you PM me?

Comment

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Re: PC iPOd on a Mac

Originally posted by BubbaTAC
I have a question. Dell always has good deals on iPods, and of course Apple never has ANY sales, just refurbs.

Can I buy a PC iPod from Dell and use it on my Mac? Does it have a bios I have to flash or something?

If anyone knows how to do it, could you PM me?

I'd do a little poking around if I were you but from what I recall in the depths of my mind, you can switch a PC iPod to a Mac iPod just by reformatting the HD but you can't change it back (which seems odd to me). Once a Mac iPod, always a Mac iPod... once a PC iPod... it can go either way, but only one way once.

Comment

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Wow, I hope all those panic whiners are shutting up right now. In the origianl thread that Apple sucked, Apple was evil, Apple was M$, Apple was dumb, etc, etc, I said everyone needed to shut up until the final word was out. Well, lookie here, seems that Apple is business savy afterall because they've reached new aggreements with their resellers. Wow, go figure, maybe that's why Apple is still in business?

Comment

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
It's amazing what a hyphen can do. When I first read this story it was "Dell has resigned it's contract...", which to me meant resigned (rezined -as in I quit pronunciation). This is good news.

Regards,
Gus

Comment

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
You can change back and forth between Mac and PC formatting as many times as you want. I've done it a couple of times, when my Mac was out of commission. All you have to do is download the iPod update software.

Comment

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Regardless of who caved in, I think that this is really great news. I want to see more resellers carrying Apple products, not fewer...

Comment

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Kid Red
Wow, I hope all those panic whiners are shutting up right now. In the origianl thread that Apple sucked, Apple was evil, Apple was M$, Apple was dumb, etc, etc, I said everyone needed to shut up until the final word was out. Well, lookie here, seems that Apple is business savy afterall because they've reached new aggreements with their resellers. Wow, go figure, maybe that's why Apple is still in business?

Is it okay to say "I have a product and you will like it the way I want it. If I set up a store in your neighbourhood, you will like it. If it closes down your business, you will like it."?

Comment

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
So does anyone think there will be Dell printer drivers for OS X? I saw an ad for those on TV. $109 after rebate isn't bad. Wonder how much the ink costs?

Comment

Pancake

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska
RE: Dell Printers

As far as I know, Dell printers are just Lexmark printers with a Dell sticker. I would assume Lexmark drivers would work. Lexmarks, however, are known for crapping out on you sooner than other printers.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.