Dell CEO: Apple can't just have one product and then say th...

JohnHummel

macrumors member
May 22, 2003
Well, he's got a point

I mean, really, you can't have just one product and claim your innovative.

Take Apple:

1982: Personal computer - only one innovative product that year!
1984: Macintosh I - man, come on - a computer with a screen? How innovative is that, I mean, may as well call "Reese's Peanut Butter Cups" innovative for mixing the chocolate in the peanut butter.
1990's: iMac - a small, personal computer at a decent cost that looks good? Oh, please - where's the innovation!
1998: OS X - UNIX is 20 years old, folks - where's the innovation in making it so simple to use for computer neophytes, but powerful enough to run everything from movie editors to complex distributed programs?
2000: iPod - hah! It's just a hard drive hooked up to a speaker output! It's not like Apple invented MP3 players.
2005: iPod Shuffle and Mac Mini - yeah, like making products affordable <em>and</em> look good is innovative.

On the other hand, we have Dell, who innovated:

Making computers - nobody else made computers before Dell did! (Except for Apple, IBM, Hp, Compaq, uh - those guys at Wang, and, well, everybody else.)
MP3 player: come on, who else thought of putting the name Dell on an MP3 player?
Printers: Lexmark helped with this. Just a little.

So let's give credit where credit is due: Dell, the true innovator, helping us to remember history correctly.

Oh, and don't forget: we've always been at war with Eurasia. The Agency of History says so.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
1982? I don't recall Apple doing anything tremendous that year. If you're talking about the IBM PC, it was introduced in August 1981.

As far as Apple innovating, I think there is a long list of accomplishments, some more bizarre than others.

Dell assembled computers from parts--now, that's a big deal. I think the same people who admire Microsoft admire Dell. Business-wise, Dell has done things well. They said "yes" to whatever Microsoft and Intel wanted and got the best discounts in order to squeeze the competition out of existance.

You also have to admire that they sold iPods for a while and now, think that they're awful. ;)

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Does anybody else find this guys pronouncements about Apple gettting more and more desperate?

It's alredy been pointed out, not only is Dell the one trick pony in this equation, but as far as I can tell every attempt they've made to expand out of low-cost PC based systems (music, TVs etc) has failed miserably.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
What has Dell done for the computer world?

I can't think of ONE application or piece of hardware that Dell has produced and the rest of the computer world has jumped on the bandwagon. Their claim to fame is cheap (both $ and parts) computers. Yeah boy, I want a computer that is built with the cheapest bidder parts, an OS that is more open than the southern US borders. Usually when people have to speak about how they are so valuable to the rest of us, they usually aren't. Or it is just plain envy on Dell's part that they can't produce the "next great thing".

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
It just goes to show how these PC companies have this "reality distortion field" skewing their view. But these are the same people that accuse Steve Jobs of the same thing. Pathetic.

Daniel

iKenny

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2004
Paris, France
Admiration

Oh, and Dell is so innovative. Dell may be at the top of the most admired companies list, but it's probably the same kind of admiration Bill Gates receives. No one I've spoken to thinks he's particularly smart, handsome, or kind, but by God, he's one of the richest men in the world, so he's admired. Apple receives admiration for it's products, while Dell meanwhile receives admiration for its strategies. It sounds, though, like Dell is wishing it were Apple. :rolleyes:

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
i like the "oh we could do an ipod or playstation if we wanted to, that's just not our market" translated "i could to jump over the garbage can i just don't wanna!"

seriously that comment sounded like something a 7 year old would say when getting called on a claim.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Gather comments

We should gather all of Dell's negative comments about Apple and post them somewhere. Why? I dunno.. Just to have a quick reference or something to laugh at.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
pgwalsh said:
We should gather all of Dell's negative comments about Apple and post them somewhere. Why? I dunno.. Just to have a quick reference or something to laugh at.
There should be a list of Balmer-isms too, while we're at it...

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
dejo said:
There should be a list of Balmer-isms too, while we're at it...
Sounds good to me.. We'll just have 4 columns. One on Balmer-isms; one one negative apple comments; one on positive Apple comments; and one with daily stock prices.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
IMO, Apple's most significant innovation is putting all the GUI components they found together behind a set of standards. That is what makes the Mac OS what it is - this was true of System 1, and it's true of Mac OS X 10.3.8 (the latest version as of when this was posted) also. The article doesn't mention the GUI Apple created at all, which totally invalidates any point the article may have been trying to make for me. Dell does sound like they want to be an Apple...

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
funny, as 90% of dells product line can be traced back to apple eg:

PDA: newton
dell DJ: ipod rip
laptops: powerbook 100 first of that design
desktops: apple made the first proper personal computers

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hector said:
funny, as 90% of dells product line can be traced back to apple eg:

PDA: newton
dell DJ: ipod rip
laptops: powerbook 100 first of that design
desktops: apple made the first proper personal computers
Microsoft just doesn't get it. For that matter, neither does Dell. Unlike Apple, they're both dependent on the x86 architecture. If x86 were to go away (which may very well happen considering how much baggage the x86 architecture itself carries from prior years), Microsoft and Dell as we know them now would cease to exist. They might not go out of business, but they would be completely transformed.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
wrldwzrd89 said:
Microsoft just doesn't get it. For that matter, neither does Dell. Unlike Apple, they're both dependent on the x86 architecture. If x86 were to go away (which may very well happen considering how much baggage the x86 architecture itself carries from prior years), Microsoft and Dell as we know them now would cease to exist. They might not go out of business, but they would be completely transformed.
Well, I think that's being overly optomistic. x86 has been morphing over the years, so I don't know if it will disappear. Microsoft most likely will never go away and Dell will be forced to change or adapt its processes if the market leads in that direction.

However, Dell doesn't have any ground to stand on when speaking of product innovation in terms of design and quality. They're the early version of Japanese automobiles. Innovative manufacturing wich can produce inexspensive, but cheap products. The Japanese have adapted and so will Dell. My apologies for the car analogy.. I know that bugs some of you.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
With 60 billion in cash, and hundreds of billions in assets, Microsoft can buy their way into perpetuity.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I understand there is an "apple bias" here, I even think Apple is more "innovative" than Dell - however, Dell has done a lot of things:

Broke the barrier for low cost, quality PCs. (OK, I predict at least 5 people saying thats an oxymoron: quality PCs??)

Style and substance

Have computers for everyone: sub 400 $ computers for people who just want word processing, email and IM, sub $800 for people who want a basic PC, and then $1000+ for gaming...

And thats just their computers - they do other things too...