Dell is replacing my U2713HM with a U2713H—but will there be color issues?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chaseychasem, Jun 24, 2013.

1. chaseychasem macrumors regular

So today my third U2713HM arrived. The first suffered from significant backlight bleed, the second had crosshatching/dead pixels, same story with this latest one. Throughout I've pressed for a revision A02 replacement, because I've read that the frequency of such issues has declined with the newer batches, but I've now had three April 2013/revision A01 units in a row. Apparently others have had better luck getting a newer version than yours truly.

But this evening the Dell representative threw me for a loop. As usual, he sent me a link in chat to the replacement I'd be receiving, but seeing that this led to the U2713H, I assumed that a mistake had been made and gave a somewhat curt response. It was intentional, though; presumably the representative was aware that the U2713H has a much better track record where manufacturing defects are concerned.

The U2713H should arrive within a couple of days. I'm glad my odds of receiving a pristine panel will be better, and yes, it's technically a better panel. However, I'm a little concerned that sRGB emulation will look strange. Here I quote from post #21211 at http://pcmonitors.info/forum/topic/dell-u2713hm-vs-dell-u2713h:

Is this something I might actually notice? If not, I assume I should just sit back, shut up, and look forward to a higher-quality display?

By the way, I've already applied this patch: http://embdev.net/topic/284710#3027030.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

In a perfect world, no. In a non-perfect world, maybe.

3. chaseychasem thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, a few hours later I'm trying to change the arrangement. Now I'm reading about overdrive issues in sRGB emulation mode with the U2713H. I'll give the U2713HM another three or four panels before asking for a refund. Awful quality control.

4. brentsg macrumors 68030

I guess we got lucky, but we bought the U2713HM for our kids and it's been perfect.

Good luck with the replacement. My favorite aspect is the non-intrusive anti-glare treatment.

5. chaseychasem thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I'd be quite happy if I could just receive one without major backlight bleed, crosshatching, and/or dead pixels.