Dell is trying to copy the iPhone but without the phone. They call it a "web gadget"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphones4evry1, Jun 30, 2009.

1. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINBNG28810520090630?rpc=44

Dell developing pocket web gadget - WSJ

June 30 (Reuters) - Dell Inc (DELL.O), the worlds No.2 PC maker, is developing a pocket-sized device for tapping into the Internet, the Wall Street Journal said citing people familiar with the company's plans.

The gadget would run on Google Inc's (GOOG.O) Android software, the people told the paper.

According to the paper, two people who saw early prototypes described the device as slightly larger than Apple Inc's (AAPL.O) iPod Touch, which is similar to the iPhone but does not have cellphone capabilities.

Another person who was briefed on the company's plans told the paper that Dell may begin selling the device later this year, though this person said the plan could be delayed or scrapped entirely.

A Dell spokesman declined to comment to the paper on any plans for the product category.

Dell may use chips based on designed licensed from ARM Holdings PLC (ARM.L), people familiar with the company's plans told the paper.

Dell could not be immediately reached for a comment by Reuters. (Reporting by Chakradhar Adusumilli in Bangalore; Editing by Jon Loades-Carter)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Don't tell anyone, but I got a sneak peek at what it looks like: :D
    They call if a flip phone ...errr...a "flip web gadget" . . . . . . . . (Apple iTablet concept shown on right)

Attached Files:

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Don't get the "copy"

Gadget or tablet who cares. New product to play with.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

There is nothing wrong with a company putting out a competitor to the iPod Touch, especially if it is using an OS as good as Android, they aren't exactly copying Apple with it, :eek: Amazon copied apple by making an online music store. :eek: Microsoft copied apple by using a GUI for Windows.

All of this is good for us, you may not want a Dell competitor to the iPod Touch, but it will help technology push forward. Without Rio making a pretty poor running MP3 player, we may never have had the iPod. Damn, without the G1 we may never have had copy/paste in 3.0!

I'd rather have multiple companies competing than one company doing it.

Nice use of photoshop by the way :rolleyes:

5. army91c macrumors 6502a

+1

all the fanboys/girls come out when anyone dares to make something that may or may not compete with an apple product. I own 4 Dell comps and plan on buying more..... They put out a good product, never had one go down on me (still have my p3 866, cutting edge when I bought it). Some have whined about the 3gs not being a big enough jump, imagine if the pre and other platforms where not in the works, think there would even be a 3gs? It's good to have companies pushing one another, we reep the benies

6. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Huh? Last I heard, Apple and Microsoft both copied Xerox for using a GUI with their operating systems.

Apple isn't always the first with new technologies you know. They copy too, just like everyone else.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Sounds like just another version of ...

• Web tablets like the Linux based Nokia N series
    • Handheld tablets like Windows CE based ones since 2000
    • UMPCs like the Vista based Origami

... only this time, running Android.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I actually think they should make a bigger iPhone, but that's just me.

9. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Quote the second part of what I wrote in that post and you'll see my point, I know that xerox were developing loads of things at PARC that were eventually used commercially, Apple isn't the first with everything - and I cited the iPod as one of my points. I'm just saying that people get all uppity with companies 'copying' apple when they don't know the whole story.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

So your theory is that although apple designed revolutionary products like imac/ipod/iphone/etc. in the first place, they only improve them because imitators come along?

Apple innovates and improves because it's a company headed by and filled with innovative and driven people. No doubt they want to keep ahead of the competition, but if you think that's the only reason we see innovation and improvement then you really don't understand apple's corporate culture.

Dell, on the other hand, is the generic, "me too," walmart of the computer world. That's not to say their products are crap, but I'm hard pressed to think of a single real innovation out of that company.

11. psingh01 macrumors 65816

AFAIK Apple licensed from Xerox. Also AFAIK Microsoft actually copied MacOS api's LOL

12. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

In some aspects Apple are really good and autonomous in innovation (Getting rid of Floppy and going only with optical - iMac, Wireless in iBook, the iPod which really changed peoples attitudes with music) and Exchange built into 10.6) but the other side of things, they are very market and consumer pressure driven (copy/paste, mms (which I disagree with, it should never have been allowed and is just a money spinner for mobile operators), the iPhone SDK, licensing ActiveSync)

Some things from the Pre at present will probably find their way onto the iPhone.

13. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

How did they copy the iPhone? I see this as a logical progression of what's been happening in portable devices that started way before the iPhone was ever conceived. Oh wait, now I remember! This is MacRumors, so people think that once Apple catches onto a trend and puts their version out, it becomes the gold standard to the point where they are actually credited with creating the entire industry and any subsequent products from other companies are simply copy-cat posers.

How silly of me to forget...

14. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Couldn't agree more. don't forget where you are.

Just because other companies are creating more MIDs, its copying the ipod touch/iphone? Please.

Thats like saying Pepsi and every single coke maker out there is nothing but a copy of the coca cola brand. Guess what? There actually were MIDs and handhelds in place before the ipod touch came out. Hard to believe isn't it?

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

But Pepsi and every other company DID copy Coke! :D Your point is well made/taken, though!

16. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

yeah, you might wanna read up on the history before making that statement. just like Columbus was really the first one to set foot in America!

17. iphones4evry1 thread starter macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

I could not have said that better. I agree with you 100%. :)

I agree with you that Apple would move along even without competition, BUT there are many things we have now because of competition. Remember when the original iPhone came out and everyone complained that other cell phones on the market had 3G but the iPhone was deficient? Millions of consumers didn't buy the original because they were waiting for the 3G. In fact, it was a make-it or break-it sales requirement for many consumers. More recently, other phones had copy and paste and video and 3.0Mp cameras but the iPhone didn't. Consumers complained and complained. Apple responded with the 3.0 update and the 3GS. Today, the Pre allows multiple Apps to be open, and I'm sure Apple is hard at work right now trying to make this happen on the next iPhone. Yes, Apple would be innovating without the competition, but there are many important features that Apple has added because of competition. Competition is always a good thing. Apple would move forward without competition, but with competition, Apple is moving forward even faster.

18. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Apple is really lucky that many of its product users actually don't want to see other competition, not realizing it will hurt their position as buyers in the long run. It really boggles my mind because I tend to think Apple users are above average in terms of intelligence.