Dell Monitor USB Hub (USB 1.1)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DanTesla1, Sep 30, 2013.

1. DanTesla1 macrumors newbie

Hello all. I have a Dell P2210 monitor. It has 2 USB 2.0 ports on the back, and 2 on the side. I connect my mouse and my keyboard to the two back ports, and then a USB A->B cable to my rMBP. Things worked fine until I plugged in my iPod cable to one of the side ports to sync, but iTunes notified me that the iPod was only utilizing USB 1.1 and could be faster if connected to USB 2.0. As you can see, the site describes the monitor as having 4 USB 2.0 ports, so idk why this would be an issue. I tried different cables and different configurations (connecting the iPod cable into one of the back ports), but I kept getting the same error.

Obviously, there doesn't seem to be any drivers for this monitor for OS X, so I'm not really sure what my next step would be.

Any advice?

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

What happens when you connect the iPod directly to the rMBP?

The iPod could be drawing power from the monitor (charging) which is throwing it off.

The monitor hub could be working at 1.1 because you have a 1.1 device connected.

Monitor hubs are known to be flakey, good for keyboards and mice but little else. You should try a stand alone USB 2.0 hub and forget about the monitor. They are ~$20.

3. DanTesla1 thread starter macrumors newbie

It works fine plugged directly into the rMBP, as expected.

I had no idea that such a seemingly simple feature could be so difficult... But yes, you're probably right. I'll just use a USB hub I have laying around. Personally, though, I like to reduce the amount of clutter on my desk as often as possible.