Dell P2210H 21.5" display - good size matching display for 21.5" iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Icaras, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

So I had my heart set out for a new Mac Pro, but now I'm rethinking my options as I don't think I'll have the funds to get one. So I've been thinking of getting a 21.5" iMac instead.

I like to run a dual monitor setup, one that matches as well. And since Apple does not offer matching display sizes for the iMacs, Dell is typically my preferred choice for displays.

And while browsing their site, I came across this nice looking 21.5" widescreen display:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-8323

I'm quite interested, as it basically looks like the younger brother of the popular U2410 (same exact design). However, I have not heard any mention of this monitor anywhere, including forums or CNET. So I'm wondering what other people think about this display or if anyone might own it and can share their experience.

And before i forget, I will only be using this display for music production and gaming in bootcamp, so pristine color accuracy for graphic artists and such, is not a mandatory prerequisite for me. But even though I acknowledge that this is a TN display rather than an IPS display like the imac, will having both displays next to each other feel drastic or jarring since they are different display types?

I would be grateful for any insight on this display :)

2. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

It looks to be a decent display for the money. I particularly like that it can be rotated 90 degrees. I've been looking for a monitor in the 23-24 inch range that could be swiveled in those occasions when you want to see a document or website in its entirety.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Its a TN panel so won't have the quality (angle of view, color shifts, and number of displayable colors) of the iMac. Basically the same quality as the older 20" iMac. The Dell U2410 has a much higher quality panel (and a much higher price!)

4. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

I am also liking the value. Sub $200 for a 1080p widescreen display can't be beat really.

Yea, the U2410 is a beautiful looking display, but its at least $300 more. I really wish they had an Ultrasharp IPS display at 21.5" to match the current imac size, but this is the closest thing I could find.

5. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I have the P2310H, it's the exact same thing, except 23" version. I got mine for $170 CAD back in October/November. It was $140 off!

As for the monitor, I love it! I use it with my 13" MBP and it looks perfect. All the extra features it has are awesome! I use the built in USB ports so much, and all the adjustments you can do with the stand are amazing! My old samsung 22" monitor only had tilt, and it was always too low for me, but with my new dell, I can adjust it perfectly! I would highly recommend this monitor, especially for the price! Even for $200 22", I would still get it, plus the monitor looks very sleek and fits perfectly with my setup.

All in all, I think it's a great monitor at a great price. And it also has 3 year warranty! What more could you ask for?!

6. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

simplymusik,

Thats incredible. $140 off is quite a steal! Was it just a holiday sale that was going on at Dell's site? I just checked Dell's site and the 23" that you have is currently $40 off, and its only a mere $10 more than the 21.5". So I'm pretty sure a bigger sale will come eventually and see an even lower, more sub $200 price for the 21.5".

I'm glad to hear everything you've said about it. I do like the adjustment possibilities, and it seems like it is an equal with the Ultrasharp WFPs and U2410 in that regard. Thanks for the recommendations. Looks like I might be pretty set on this display then. :D

I do have a question for you though. A sensitive one to most in the Mac community, but for me its not a big a deal these days. Is the display glossy or matte? If it's matte, is the difference next to your MBP odd to you?

7. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

That's a steal of a price! I'm really interested in that particular monitor, so I will keep a look out for a similar price reduction. Do you find your self using the monitor in portrait mode at all?

8. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I do iPhone programming, so vertical space is important to me, but honestly, no. I use it as my primary monitor and it just feels weird to have it portrait. I use it landscape. Occasionally when I am doing programming for a few hours, I will turn it to portrait mode. It REALLY helps w/ web pages though! But I just cannot adjust to having my primary monitor in portrait mode.

@Icaras The matte/gloss doesn't really bother me. Im not one of those people that goes like crazy if the screen is gloss. I also have a third monitor (22" Samsung matte), so I have it set up with Samsung Matte on the left, Dell matte in the middle, and MBP gloss on the right. I use the MBP to monitor my mail, msn, and twitter, so I don't really look over towards my right much. For me, personally, the difference between matte/gloss doesn't bother me. I like the gloss display on my MBP, it just makes everything so vibrant. So it's a tradeoff. The gloss looks amazing (to me) when I use the mbp by itself, but looks *slightly* distracting when its on my desk in triple monitor mode. But once you get used to it, its no big deal, I NEVER realize the difference anymore because Im so used to it (had my 13" MBP since June).

9. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Awesome, great to hear :) Now only if I can get the same deal as you :p

10. Smurfed macrumors regular

You might want to check out Dell's 2209WA, it's a 22" ultrasharp IPS panel display. http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=corp&sku=320-7825

On a side note, i recently purchased the p2310H (40% off + additional 10% off + free shipping) which came to just about $188, cant wait to get it in about 2 days :D

11. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Yes, I have checked that one out and know its quite popular too. The only downside is its only 1650x1050 resolution. I'm looking for 1080p, but thanks for bringing that up.

I know Dell offers random special deals, but how did you get an additional 10% off? That sounds like a really sweet deal :D

12. Smurfed macrumors regular

It was from a Dell small business coupon, I think it expires in a few days, works also on the 22" ver as well, I can PM you the code if you want. ;)

edit: just checked it out, coupon expired 12/31 :(

13. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

14. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Oh no problem,but thanks for checking. But you have me curious now. I might check to see if I get any discounts through my employer too. :)

15. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

I just checked out HP's product page, thanks. Yea not a real fan of HP products to be honest. The design looks a little a thick too...

16. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Thought I'd mention for those in canada, this monitor is $170 today only at the Dell website.

17. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

That's a nice price. It's on sale in America, but only at $200. I think I'll keep waiting. :(