Dell picked Ubuntu, linux desktop and laptop will be released at the end of May

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by clevin, May 1, 2007.

1. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Choice can only be a good thing for the consumer. I only hope there's enough demand to keep this alive.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sounds interesting. I would probably actually consider the really little Inspiron if it ame with Ubuntu on it.

I wonder if you get a discount for not having purchased Vista? :)

3. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

huh, my guess is it will be $50 cheaper, if the machine will be generally low end, such as combo drive/60G HDD/512MB ram, etc,etc, the total price of the desktop can be as low as $200~$250.(LCD not included)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't really buy $200 computers. :D I meant the sub four pound notebook. ;)

I wonder, secondarily, if they will implement Gnome + Beryl, Gnome by itself, KDE, or...?

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i know absolutely nothing about Linux but i like how Dell is finally giving their customers a choice.

6. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

compiz is built-in (disable by default) in ubuntu 7.04, users just need to enable it from system menu, since dell has control over its hardware, I would imagine they can fixed any potential problems and open compiz's cube and window effetcs by default.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, I bothered to read a Wiki article on this finally. I was not entirely certain whether the desktop effects that can be turned on from the prefs for 7.04 were the same thing as Beryl -- I tried the effects on my iBook. Not too bad. :)

8. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

lol,
    desktop effects built-in in ubuntu 7.04 is a strip down version of compiz. not beryl, which is said to have too many bugs. Anyway, Beryl is said to re-merge with compiz this year, so eventually become on project.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

maybe theirs rooms for a dell in my house after all...

10. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

11. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Didn't they do this a while ago with their n series?

12. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I'm not sure, I have never even used Linux but I heard its awesome. Have you tried Ubuntu? If so, how did you like it?

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

great choice of distro, imo. user friendly enough that people might just try it, but i wonder if it'll be successful enough to continue.

what really needs to be done is that other makers, like HP and Toshiba have one or two models with Linux, and have best buy sell 'em and have it out on display for people to try. people will take notice of it more. as of right now, no one in my family has a clue what Linux is, and few friends do.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

A majority of the people who run Linux are geeks who build their own machines and wouldn't touch some Dell piece of crap. This is good and all, but I just don't see it doing too well.

15. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

where are the models? I am looking at Dell to find some models with Linux.

16. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/05/24/15994.aspx

17. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm seriously thinking about buying the Dell Inspiron E1505n. I already have XP Home, so I'll just install that and dual-boot.

Hurray!

18. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

19. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Finally some competition for Apple, a very stable, some would agree more stable operating system and at a good price. The quality of dell's hard ware is always in question but running linux you could expect a computer that never goes down unless something hardware goes. Basically a black box mac without the design software.

20. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

According to this Mike Dell himself uses a precision M90 Laptop, running Ubuntu.

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I don't see how putting a different OS on crap hardware from a horrible company is going to "make things better".

Hardly competition for Apple....

22. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I used the 2nd newest version back when it was new, and I hated it. I tried to install Server Edition, it KPd on every machine I tried. The desktop version is so clunky...bleh. I'll stick with Mac OS X :)

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because unless you buy a cheap Dell the hardware is fine. The XPS will do the best I predict, though this is clearly an experiment.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's too bad they're not putting Linux on one of their more interesting laptops, like the little 12" XPS. I am really curious to see how tight the stylo of their laptop linux implementation is.