Dell releases 30" LCD display

jenifleo

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2005
Price is get's higher

If you want to run this display it looks like you have to pay for the required video card which goes from $600 to $800 dollars. I'd like to know if you could use anything else.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
iGary said:
I'd pay 400 more for the Apple.
me too... though it's not as aesthetically challenged as I was expecting, pretty inoffensive design to be honest.

thirdkind

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2005
Columbus
I'd like to see one and read some professional comparisons before choosing between it and the Apple 30".

Dell claims higher contrast, higher brightness, and offers more flexible height adjustment. It also includes a 3 year warranty. All for less money.

The Apple has a prettier aluminum case that would look nice with my Power Mac, but if the image quality is noticeably inferior, who cares?

thirdkind

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2005
Columbus
jenifleo said:
If you want to run this display it looks like you have to pay for the required video card which goes from $600 to $800 dollars. I'd like to know if you could use anything else.
You can use any video card that supports dual link DVI and the native resolution of the panel. The Apple 30" shares this requirement.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
iGav said:
pretty inoffensive design to be honest.
I quite like the desgn, to be honest. Though why they have to stick with black plastic - it would have looked much nicer with an aluminium bezel.

danp

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2005
Cambridge, UK
thirdkind said:
Dell claims higher contrast, higher brightness, and offers more flexible height adjustment. It also includes a 3 year warranty. All for less money.
I have the 20" Dell 2005FPW monitor which makes similar claims of improved performance over the 20" Apple monitor. In general usage, I can't say I notice any appreciable difference between them whatsoever.

What's undeniable in both cases is the price difference. And I simply don't feel that Apples styling/build is worth the difference in this case.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
ksz said:
The Dell is $2199.
The CinemaDisplay is $2499.

$300 difference.
All the better.

Seriously though, I have a 20-inch Dell that I work on maps with all day, and the occasional Photoshop and the 30-inch ACD for my primary work. I can't notice any difference at all.

That said, with the smaller panels, the prices are hard to beat, but I'm just not much on the plasticky look/feel/operation fo the Dell. No offense to anyone, just my personal taste.

I'm getting a second monitor for the 30 at some point, an I wil probably spend extra for Apple. I have to look at the thing all day, I should like it.

The card readers, though - brilliant.

I have often wished that my PM had an integral CF card reader. Display would be even better.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
iGary said:
All the better.

Seriously though, I have a 20-inch Dell that I work on maps with all day, and the occasional Photoshop and the 30-inch ACD for my primary work. I can't notice any difference at all.

That said, with the smaller panels, the prices are hard to beat, but I'm just not much on the plasticky look/feel/operation fo the Dell. No offense to anyone, just my personal taste.

I'm getting a second monitor for the 30 at some point, an I wil probably spend extra for Apple. I have to look at the thing all day, I should like it.

The card readers, though - brilliant.

I have often wished that my PM had an integral CF card reader. Display would be even better.
I concur. The huge thing I miss since switching from the dell 24 to apple 30 is the card reader. :(

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I was hoping for a better price point, but oh well. It looks like I will be getting Apple's 23-inch Cinema Display soon. :) I really hope Apple revises it and drops the price by at least a couple hundred.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
The next display, while a Dell, will be the 2405/2407. I can easily sacrifice 6" of space for 4 extra inputs :D

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
EDU pricing is $2299, so that's only $100 difference. That being said, it's really the image/overall quality that concerns me. Too bad there's no Dell stores to check one out :)

ksz said:
The Dell is $2199.
The CinemaDisplay is $2499.

$300 difference.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Washington, DC
The price doesn't matter—it's when Dell starts throwing their legendary coupons on this bad boy that you guys will start to sit up and take notice. If nothing else, hopefully when the new 2007FPW and 2407FPW displays come out, Apple will be forced to drop the prices on their displays a bit. If it happens it'll probably be at (or soon after) MWSF.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It would be nice to see a total refresh of Apple's displays to go with new Power Macs this summer. I want new everything :)

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Cless said:
If nothing else, hopefully when the new 2007FPW and 2407FPW displays come out, Apple will be forced to drop the prices on their displays a bit.
What's new in the 2007FPW and 2407FPW? Just curious...

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
San Jose, CA
Some_Big_Spoon said:
EDU pricing is $2299, so that's only $100 difference. That being said, it's really the image/overall quality that concerns me. Too bad there's no Dell stores to check one out :)
EPP pricing is the same, $2299. Fortunately my company is on Apple's EPP program, so it's a $100 difference for me as well.

However, check out this link posted by someone in the Mac Peripherals section. $1999 Canadian or $1756 US.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2027207&postcount=75