Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/09/04/dell.precision.m6300/

Who knows when or if Apple will be able to put a C2D Extreme chip into a MBP, like the 17in, w/LED backlighting...maybe...sooooooon!

Apple's first again with the iMac upgrades (Santa Rosa, mild speed bump, shipping with 667Mhz RAM when they could have started with 800Mhz from the get go since prices were already falling on the faster RAM at the moment the SR MBP went on sale), but a true laggard in the laptop arena :(. No SSD option, no 7.2k 200GB Hitachi HD option, no BR optical drive option...the list goes on.

I wouldn't expect a 512MB NV Quadro, or 256MB Quadro FX 1600M in a MBP, but something higher-end than what they currently offer (I guess it's that age old heat issues problem with the thinner MBP frame) should be coming soooon, yes?

The 2.8Ghz is overclockable, but you'd never expect Apple to have a user adjustable CPU, not even in a pro model. I suspect, do to heat issues, the next MBP 17in or full line mini-update in September?, will use the next speed bumped standard Merom 2.6Ghz CPU. MBP seriously needs to keep up with the competition, now that Intel is the only supplier, and all the other manufacturers get their chance to obtain those at the same time. Given Apple got the 2.8Ghz Extreme 1st for the iMac, why can't they come out with the latest and greatest on their laptops...they always trail the competition in raw performance power :(.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
troll

... (troll about gamer laptop) ....
This is total FUD, flamebait, trolling, etc.

A big fat laptop with a removable desktop graphics card, and over-clocking? Why would anyone (excepting the fifty or so young guys in that particular market segment), care?

Anyone who knew anything at all about their marketing and support strategies would know that this kind of uber-configurable, "sans support," hardware spec will never come from Apple, (despite all the "soooon?"'s you peppered your remarks with.)

If you don't know that, then you are ignorant and deserve to be ignored, if you do know that, then you are a troll and deserve to be ignored.

Take your pick. :)

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
That thing is so thick, bulky and not as appealing as a MBP.

I'm so tempted to get an SSD but holy crap, I could almost get a refurbished MB for the same price :eek: Hopefully it goes down by the beginning of next year :D:apple:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
When Apple starts making laptop computers two times as thick as their current models, they can use Core 2 Extreme processors safely. There might even be a market for them but typical Mac users won't be buying them because typical Mac users won't carry the extra weight, the extra batteries, and they certainly wouldn't open one to use it in public.

You might as well ask Apple to create one of those 19 inch LCD "portables" that require AC power because the demands on the battery are too high.

aerove

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2007
Atlanta,GA
HEY !!! jus look at that **** it so crap!! how can u even compare it to a masterpiece like a macbook pro?? apple got everythin right with the MBP.. its a complete package.. unlike the dell. if u need a comp for hardcore gamin .. better get a desktop.. u r better off with it!! :apple:

chem

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Go to Dell's website for that product. (the link in the OP's link). Customize to get the machine up to the base specs of the 2.4 GHz MBP. That is, 2.4 GHz CPU, 2 GB ram, 160 GB HD, 802.11n wireless, etc.

The new price of the Dell is over $3,000. Congrats, you have a more expensive machine in a crappier form factor.

Kaiser Phoenix

Cancelled
May 12, 2005
Is that even a 'laptop' or 'notebook'??

More like desktop, and TEXTbook. There are always going to be compromises, and I would choose the MBP over the Dell anyday.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX

Go to Dell's website for that product. (the link in the OP's link). Customize to get the machine up to the base specs of the 2.4 GHz MBP. That is, 2.4 GHz CPU, 2 GB ram, 160 GB HD, 802.11n wireless, etc.

The new price of the Dell is over $3,000. Congrats, you have a more expensive machine in a crappier form factor.

Oh and one word posts will be deleted by the mods so try your best not to do that :)

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
the thread creator just go owned =)

yeah
it's too bulky for my liking....who cares if Dell releases such ugly computer...Macbook Pro rules at it is...
beautiful design, great specs for everyday need etc..

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
Hmm ... I went to the dell website and tried to configure it with OS X ... they didn't have that option. I guess I'm forced to stick with a MBP.

* Heavy sarcasm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.