Dell to close US plant, lay off 905 in Winston/Salem

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by IChing, Oct 8, 2009.

1. IChing macrumors regular

ROUND ROCK: Dell Inc. said on Wednesday it will close a desktop computer manufacturing plant in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, by the end of January.

The computer maker said 905 people will be laid off, with around 600 to be let go next month. The plant was opened in 2005.

Dell was promised more than $300 million in state and local incentives to open the plant. But it was required to invest $100 million, create 1,700 jobs by September 2010 and maintain those jobs for 10 more years. If those terms weren't met, the company would forfeit the incentive package.

Dell said it would comply with the terms of the incentive agreement.

The plant closure is part of a plan to save $4 billion a year at Dell by 2011.

Read more: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/5099595.cms

Dude you just got Delled

2. MacMonster1985 macrumors member

Oh noes, where will all the apple users buy their monitors from.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I know it will kill a fanboi like you to hear this, but, uh, Dell? They're not going away and they still continue to make some of the best monitors money can buy. I have a new Dell 24" display sitting on my desk right now. Oh noes, the horror!

4. IChing thread starter macrumors regular

Dell exported the american jobs to china

and will let china build them.

So long american jobs

5. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

So that only leaves them with 75,000 employees then?

OK.

Oh yeah - anyone celebrating people losing their jobs is pondscum. Just thought I'd point that out.

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

In the current economic climate in America, I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier.

Best not feed the troll :)

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You know, that isn't he point. The point is more American jobs are lost as a result of the closure. I am confused how MacMonster1985's comment correlates to your response and how either response correlates to the announcement. What about that comment exactly makes him a fanboi?

This is terrible news, loss of American jobs and loss of jobs in NC.
    I really hope you're kidding. Yes, so long American jobs but you seem to be rather pleased about this. Wait until this hits home with you buddy, you just wait.

8. IChing thread starter macrumors regular

This is terrible news, loss of American jobs and loss of jobs in NC.

I really hope you're kidding. Yes, so long American jobs but you seem to be rather pleased about this. Wait until this hits home with you buddy, you just wait.[/QUOTE]

Its awful, I have friends and family in that city..... **** Dell... they did the same thing to Ireland

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You haven't seen his past comments about Apple users buying Dell monitors, have you? I took it as a sarcastic jab meant to insult any Apple user who would dare buy a Dell product.

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

am surethe desktop market has seen its better days anyway.
    The loss of jobs is very sad. I am facing a count down and I am very nervous

12. MacMonster1985 macrumors member

13. belvdr macrumors 603

My Inspiron 531 desktop seems to be working just fine as my Linux desktop and backup device. You might want to take a step or two back and look at the picture through someone else's eyes. Apple isn't the end-all be-all solution (the same goes for any company).

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I would (and have done in the past) buy a Dell if it was the right tool for the job.

15. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Good to see them following Apple's lead!