Dell Ultrasharp 2208WFP (22" Monitor)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Superman07, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

Has anybody purchased one of these? Any feedback? If not, has anybody seen any reviews online regarding this unit?

2. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

It is a basic 6bit, TN Panel.

Very good for Gaming and Video. Not very good for color accurate print and photography work.

You can look up this Display's Panel type here:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

3. sndcj1 macrumors member

I don't have one of those, but have a couple of the little brothers in my office (e207 20" widescreen) and haven't had any problems with them yet. I have been quite impressed with the quality of the dell monitors that we have (10 total), only 1 stuck pixel in the bunch that I know of, and this is after about 4 years of use on most of them.

4. Superman07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like most monitors/panels from the well known producers (for panels and monitors) are good. Especially for everyday tasks like web and work documents.

It seems like you only need to worry about the really good panels if you are a professional video/photo editor.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'm quite happy on the occasions I stare at the Dell E228WFP (the budget, non-adjustable version of the 2208WFP I guess) and the Samsung 226BW for everyday stuff. Both are TN-panelled 22" monitors. There are some colour inconsistencies that come from the use of a TN panel (whites can shange shades little depending on your head's angle to the screen), but I don't think it would bother the average guy to a great degree, especially given the price discrepancy.

For things where you want truer colour but don't consider it your professional need, calibration can also be a little trickier and this is one of the areas in where the effectively control-less Apple monitors are easier to handle. If you depend on colour matching for your job then TN panels are probably not for you but otherwise I say go with what you feel fits your needs. I'd suggest taking the opinions of the self-styled 'designer-er-than-thou' types here with a pinch of salt, the majority of whom I suspect have much less firsthand experience with monitors than they might appear to have.

I think if I didn't have the E228 as part of a dual and quad monitor stand arrangement, the lack of adjustment would bother me a lot, just like the Apple monitors. The Ultrasharps come with a tilt, swivel and rotate stand which solves that problem. There seem to be no problem with the crispness of text and images, and I don't have any ghosting issues with the 228's. I can't say whether the Ultrasharps will be significantly different for the better apart from the physical differences, but I have to say I think the E228 is a respectable monitor for a very good price.

6. Superman07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great feedback. Thanks!

7. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

That's pure rubbish.

8. Brandonnn macrumors member

Brandonnn

question about integrated web cam 2.0

I've been looking at this DELL SP2208WFP
    22-inch Wide screen Flat Panel Monitor. Does anyone know if the integrated web cam will work with mac os?

9. Brandonnn macrumors member

Brandonnn

Hi Superman, I found this thread on dell forum regarding compare the dell Re: SP2208WFP and Ultrasharp 2208WFP Panel Types. There's a dell tech as well in this thread answering questions. Might find it interesting to why the price off this particular monitor is cheaper.. Hope it helps a little.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/suppor...thread.id=84830&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

10. Superman07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had actually come across that thread before, but it appears there were some updates - mainly feedback from those that actually received the monitor.

When I looked up the regular and the ultra sharp on the tftpanels.co.uk it appears that they both use the same panel. With that in mind, I'd like to know what makes the other "ultrasharp". I know you get added features - usb, heigh adjustment, etc., but I also assumed it was a better panel.

11. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

It does have a better panel i Think it's a S-iPs Made by either LG or Samsung.

12. Superman07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Source?

13. witsendinc macrumors newbie

Webcam?

Please let me know how you got your built-in webcam to operate?
    Just installed with my MacBook (Leopard); no luck.
    Thanks!

*It was the lack of the USB cable.

14. Doctorpc18 macrumors newbie

Dell 2208WFP

I purchased the Dell 2208WFP last week and for 2 days I tried to adjust the panel to no avail. My video card is an ATI Radeon 9600xt and I don't know if that was my problem or the monitor. The monitor was very lackluster and washed out no matter how I set it. Build quality was good but nowhere near the build and color quality of my Dell 2001FP. For example, at the top of windows you have File - Edit - View , Etc. Well they looked transparent and very hard to read. This is how washed out the picture looked. Colors of my pictures were not as true as seen on the 2001FP either. Even the switchboard of my Access databases were washed out. The DVD - Live Free or Die Hard was dark and when the brightness and contrast were adjusted whether higher or lower it didn't matter - Still very poor. I was also connected to the video card with the DVI cable as I thaught that would be the best - Still No Good. Unfortunatly, I had to return the monitor. Dell customer service was excellent in the purchase process and the return process. I am now back on the street looking for a good LCD. The panel was a 6 bit , TN panel.....

15. Multimac macrumors newbie

A few weeks ago I bought a Samsung SyncMaster 2232GW LCD 22" Widescreen LCD. Last week I got a Dell Ultrasharp 2208WFP, as part of a Dell computer purchase.

I'd compare the Samsung to a Sony in terms of out-of-box color satisfaction on my Mac, also with Linux and with just a bit of tweaking in XP.

But the Dell is a nightmare (at least with the matte screen, which I got by mistake). Linux (Ubuntu) is okay, but XP is terrible.

More importantly, I could not get my older MacMini with Tiger to get past the problem with identifying the monitor (black screen, hard shutdown necessary).

Leopard on my newer Mini works okay but I had trouble adjusting the color, etc. If I set up an image in my older Mini to show skin tones on the Samsung, and compare it to the Dell with the newer Minil, the latter gives me results on the reddish side. I have tried adjusting the color config, but the biggest roadblock appears right away. I can't adjust the brightness to make the oval in the config screen to blend with the background.

Dell, to their credit, will send me a replacement (hopefully with glossy (not matte) screen). I'll report here if I see an improvement.

But it is telling that the Samsung gives better results on Mac and XP "out of box", at least for me. Maybe it is just a defective unit, but I suspect design and firmware.

MM