Dell Venue 8 now $129 for 16GB - $159 for 32GB

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Lloydbm41 Suspended

Lloydbm41

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Not a bad deal! How long is the promo going? I don't have the money to spare right now. :(

3. Lloydbm41 thread starter Suspended

Lloydbm41

Looks like you have until around Valentines Day.

4. emeraldringer, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

emeraldringer macrumors member

I have a Dell Venue 8. I prefer it to the 1st gen Nexus 7 it replaced because of the larger screen and expandable storage.

I wish the screen matched the width of the iPad Mini (it's not as wide), but can't really complain considering its price.

5. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Its a better deal than those awful galaxy tab 3's that cost way more.

6. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Wow. Not a bad price at all. If only those ran full windows and not gimped RT

7. Lloydbm41 thread starter Suspended

Lloydbm41

These run Android, not Windows. You are thinking of the Venue Pro.

8. masterpace macrumors regular

Even at 169 $ for 32gb is quite expensive. These Dell Venue Android are not worthed more than 99 $. But if you can get a 64gb Dell Venue Pro (with Windows 8) for less than 200 $, then it's a good price for what you get. Just don't expect to get the same product experience as the ipad mini retina. The mini retina is in a much higher end league,

9. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

Not even then... the Venue 8 Pro runs full Windows 8.1. :)

10. DeathTheKid macrumors member

DeathTheKid

Nice deal! I wonder if it is possible to flash x86 Linux on it and run Wine, since it does have a Clovertrail processor in it. Hell, I wonder if it is possible to run Windows 8 on it since it is an Atom tablet.

11. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

If it was even the RT I would bite but not for a watered down Android tablet.

My 2013 Nexus 7 got a hairline crack on the screen from a 3 foot drop (with the cover on and landed on the back). The cost of repair is more than the device is even worth. I think I'm done with cheaply built android tablets for the foreseeable future.

12. Lloydbm41 thread starter Suspended

Lloydbm41

Well, got my Venue 8 in yesterday and it immediately updated to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Too bad it hasn't made it to Kit Kat, but for $130 I can't really complain, plus I can add a 32gb micro SD card for movie and music storage. Screen is a tad bit clearer than the first gen iPad mini I have (see pic below) but an inch thinner on the sides. While better than the Nexus 7 for more screen real estate, the Mini still has the best layout ratio. The Venue 8 has been smooth for me with no lagging or force closures which was a surprise considering this is a medium spec's Dell tablet.

Overall, gotta say this is not a bad buy for the price, especially for a kid or someone wanting to try an Android tablet out. There is no skin on this, it comes with plain Android, so it is more like a Play Edition tablet.

Nexus 7 left, Venue 8 middle and Mini on right

Attached Files:

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

Thanks for the pic comparison. The Mini looks the slightly bigger of the three.

14. Lloydbm41 thread starter Suspended

Lloydbm41

15. Billy95Tech, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

Billy95Tech Suspended

That is a good deal but there are way better tablets out there.

The Dell Venue 8 is great for people who don't need that much power/has very basic needs and all so for people who are on a very tight budget.

The high end tablets like Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4/10.1 and S 8.4/10.5, Nexus 9, Ipad Air 2 are great for power users like myself who want to do more than Web browsing, Emailing, Reading and want to have the latest and greatest.