Dell

carpet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
60
0
For $995.00 this is what i can get. 3.0 gig p4 with an 800 mg fsb, 1gig of ram at 400mhz(2x512),160gig hd at 7200 rpms, and 128 of dedicated video memory. Sounds like dell is pretty competitive if you ask me. I read a recent article that firefox will be no longer safe from ad-ware and such very soon. If you want the article ill attatch it. Im starting to think Macs are not worth the money. I love the os dont get me wrong but can it really justify the price to a poor student? Doubtful. I have no point if thats what your wondering, im simply expressing an opinion based on the facts.
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,652
123
Remember, as a student you are eligible for an edu discount from Apple...

How long do you think that Dell might last you?

Also, let's be honest. If it's right for you then it's right for you but don't come on a Mac site expecting people to say 'Wow, I should never have bought my Mac. They're so poor value compared to a Dell...'
 

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
3,124
0
washington dc
dells are cheap. thats not news. i didnt buy a mac because it was a great deal or anything like that, i bought it because when i use it it doesnt make me want to shoot myself in the head
 

lfielder06

Guest
Dec 5, 2004
193
0
gwuMACaddict said:
dells are cheap. thats not news. i didnt buy a mac because it was a great deal or anything like that, i bought it because when i use it it doesnt make me want to shoot myself in the head
WORD!!!!

I agree with that. I have to get on windows computers all the time and I hate how bad they are. Never realized it before. everything makes more sense on os x. That is a great deal on a windows machine though, but dell scimps on other things to provide those specs. ie motherboard. not to mention how ugly the case is IMO.
 

carpet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
60
0
Blue Velvet said:
Remember, as a student you are eligible for an edu discount from Apple...

How long do you think that Dell might last you?

Also, let's be honest. If it's right for you then it's right for you but don't come on a Mac site expecting people to say 'Wow, I should never have bought my Mac. They're so poor value compared to a Dell...'
First off. I dont NEED to do any convincing of the sort. Walk around my campus and ask students whats the best value pc is to buy. They will say Dell, or build your own. I know this because im one of them. Nobody on my campus will say a Mac. Simply because they are to expensive. Nobody will say Macs suck. Nobody will say Macs arent cool. I only know a few people that have ibooks or PB's and they love them of course. I know a few web sites that dont work on Safari and that can be annoying. I can give you the address to a web site that doesnt work properly in safari if youd like.
 

carpet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
60
0
gwuMACaddict said:
dells are cheap. thats not news. i didnt buy a mac because it was a great deal or anything like that, i bought it because when i use it it doesnt make me want to shoot myself in the head
If you need a computer to justify not shooting yourself in the head. You have bigger problems than anyone here can help you with. Cheers :D
 

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
4,167
23
Lincoln,UK
the only reason i would by dell is for there 20" monitor which is on its way (thanks edesign for advice) , my brother in law has a p4 destop and never seems to have an probs with it but he does not use it that oftern anyway ? but i do remember him only getting it due to a good deal on a 17" monitor and 1gb ram all for a cheapo price .
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,652
123
carpet said:
First off. I dont NEED to do any convincing of the sort. Walk around my campus and ask students whats the best value pc is to buy. They will say Dell, or build your own. I know this because im one of them. Nobody on my campus will say a Mac. Simply because they are to expensive. Nobody will say Macs suck. Nobody will say Macs arent cool. I only know a few people that have ibooks or PB's and they love them of course. I know a few web sites that dont work on Safari and that can be annoying. I can give you the address to a web site that doesnt work properly in safari if youd like.

Well go and get it then if you're so convinced.
You don't need our permission or blessing... nobody's stopping you.

And when you do get it, I hope you enjoy it. Best of luck...
 

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
4,167
23
Lincoln,UK
Blue Velvet said:
Well go and get it then if you're so convinced.
You don't need our permission or blessing... nobody's stopping you.

And when you do get it, I hope you enjoy it. Best of luck...

thats like a " i told you so " lol go on then get it if you must but don't come crying to us when you get a virus or a blue screen lol

Harsh ...but fair ;)
 

carpet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
60
0
Blue Velvet said:
Well go and get it then if you're so convinced.
You don't need our permission or blessing... nobody's stopping you.

And when you do get it, I hope you enjoy it. Best of luck...
I already have a much better computer than that. Thanks. I was expressing that by looking at the cost of both a Mac desktop and a "Wintel" desktop, the cost of the Mac is very hard to justify. For others, not at all. For you yes.
 

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
616
0
I read that CNET article about Firefox too ... is that the point of this thread? because as nice as Firefox is, it doesn't nearly rise to the top of most anyone's reason's to be using a Mac in the first place (for starters, most people use it on Windows) ....
 

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
4,167
23
Lincoln,UK
carpet said:
I already have a much better computer than that. Thanks. I was expressing that by looking at the cost of both a Mac desktop and a "Wintel" desktop, the cost of the Mac is very hard to justify. For others, not at all. For you yes.
i thought that was the point of steve doing the Mac Mini?? add mem and CRT to that and lets see what price that comes out at :eek:
 

carpet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
60
0
liketom said:
thats like a " i told you so " lol go on then get it if you must but don't come crying to us when you get a virus or a blue screen lol

Harsh ...but fair ;)
I wouldnt cry if i got a blue screen. I get a blue screen about 1 time a month (lately) and thats only because i have a driver misplaced due to my current expereince with UT2004. Heres a thought. If you dont want problems with your pc dont look at PORN! I fix computers for a living, and everytime i do to fix some guys computer, its loaded with porn temps and all kinds of other junk.
 

carpet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
60
0
mcgarry said:
I read that CNET article about Firefox too ... is that the point of this thread? because as nice as Firefox is, it doesn't nearly rise to the top of most anyone's reason's to be using a Mac in the first place (for starters, most people use it on Windows) ....
Really? Then what browser do you recomend for a Mac so that i can view ALL the web sites correctly that i would like? Safari doesnt cut it.
 

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
892
0
Socan
Dude, you should so totally get the word DELL tattooed on your forehead in big black bold letters, that'd be cool as all hell!

"YOU'RE MY BOY CARPET!"






the moral of this story is... I don't care. :rolleyes:
 

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
4,167
23
Lincoln,UK
carpet said:
I wouldnt cry if i got a blue screen. I get a blue screen about 1 time a month (lately) and thats only because i have a driver misplaced due to my current expereince with UT2004. Heres a thought. If you dont want problems with your pc dont look at PORN! I fix computers for a living, and everytime i do to fix some guys computer, its loaded with porn temps and all kinds of other junk.
funny you should say that cos i fix wintel pc's for a trade as well .. and most of my problems are with iffy drivers and sub standard hardware but maybe thats just where i work ? who knows
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,652
123
carpet said:
I already have a much better computer than that. Thanks. I was expressing that by looking at the cost of both a Mac desktop and a "Wintel" desktop, the cost of the Mac is very hard to justify. For others, not at all. For you yes.
Whatever...

I'm sure I'll be worrying about that when I go to work tomorrow and fire up my dual G5 2.5 with 2.5gb RAM... actually, that dual 1.42 G4 with 2gb RAM I'm typing this on is a pretty handy machine too...

For someone who had no point to make, you're doing a damn fine job of living up to our expectations...
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
whatever floats your boat, but if you were to get a mac mini and a crt monitor the price would be pretty similar......i prefer OS X over Windows though, it just works better and is worth the price for me
 

carpet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
60
0
me_94501 said:
If you don't mind my asking, carpet, what do you use your computer for?
Internet,Office 2003,E-mail,Talking with friends,Burning cd's,Html,Flash,Dreamweaver,Ut2004 about once a month,Wc3 about once a month.
 

carpet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
60
0
Blue Velvet said:
Whatever...

I'm sure I'll be worrying about that when I go to work tomorrow and fire up my dual G5 2.5 with 2.5gb RAM... actually, that dual 1.42 G4 with 2gb RAM I'm typing this on is a pretty handy machine too...

For someone who had no point to make, you're doing a damn fine job of living up to our expectations...
Thats friendly. Pat yourself on the back.
 

carpet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
60
0
FistfulofAngst said:
Dude, you should so totally get the word DELL tattooed on your forehead in big black bold letters, that'd be cool as all hell!

"YOU'RE MY BOY CARPET!"






the moral of this story is... I don't care. :rolleyes:
Thats nice. Thanks. :)