Demand that McDonald's be held responsible in the beating of transgendered woman

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Apr 25, 2011.

1. leekohler, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.change.org/petitions/dem...m_medium=email&alert_id=MZSZxhlQLM_zfdGJnRTnu

Warning- this is is extremely disturbing, it may bring you to tears.

I don't usually post petitions, but this scared the hell out of me.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

my question is what would you have McDonalds employees do.

You are asking teenagers to get involved in a fight and try to break it up.
    Not really something you expect the average person of the street to do why should teenagers working and McDonalds be any different.
    Heck most of the time betting/ fights are over before the brain finishes processing "Is that really happening?" followed by "Should I do anything?" Most of the time they get stuck in an endless loop of not sure what to do and the fight or flight responses takes over.

While the people doing the beating deserve to rot in jail at the same time I would not expect the employees to do anything other than really call the cops. This is one would you expect a person of the street to do something other than really call the cops and it is still over by the time the above loop is completed.

oh and btw the link you provided is to your mail inbox. We can not read it.

4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Well I don't know about you but if I saw someone beating the **** out of someone else while I'm working I would certainly get involved. And I would expect the same consideration from others.

If your employed somewhere part of your job is keeping the peace.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

as an adult yes but you are telling random Teenagers who are in shock seeing something. Different story there.

Also remember most work places (Retail) tell there employees not to get involved really for fear of the employee getting hurt.

The filming it on a cell phone and not doing anything bothers me but at the same token what do you expect them to do.

Like I said the human brain is going to get stuck in the loop "What is that really happening?" and the "Should I do something?" That going to hold them in place for quite a while. After the fact yes you can look back on it but during the fact you have that endless loop you have to break out of that is very hard to do.

In something like that first thing I would of done is called 911. Response time for something like that should be 1-2 mins tops the nearest cop should be there.
    I remember calling the cops on a domestic fight and from 911 to the cop showing up it was under 2 mins and on that one the cop was not going no come in sirens a blazing for they want to use the shock of lights be shown on them to break it up. This is something they would come in with sirens on.

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You expect employees who make minimum wage to break up a fight? They should call the cops, but for sure not break up a fight.

7. AP_piano295, Apr 25, 2011

AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Your damn right I do, I've kicked people out of stores before for being rude to employees, shouting at each other, behaving inappropriately and refusing to respond to reasonable requests.

If people started fighting in my place of work i would absolutely get involved, probably starting with dumping a bucket of mop water over them.

I've broke up a fight between 14 and 15 years old siblings while I was teaching a ski lesson. And I wouldn't have hesitated if it had been two 20 year olds.

When did we become so bloody apathetic and wimpy that were afraid of breaking up a fight between a group of girls. As far as I'm concerned I could give a damn about trans gender or not.

If you work somewhere you have a position of authority and that makes it your job to protect all people in your store, sack up and diffuse the situation.

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

What would we have them do? They didn't have time to do anything? According to the report: "These employees can be heard on the video shouting words of encouragement to the attackers." Sounds like they had more then enough time to figure out what was going on and acted on it. Do you like what they chose to do?

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I didn't watch the whole video, but from what I watched, they were standing around and laughing.

Again, they should call the cops and NOT get involved.

They are hired to flip burgers, not stop violence. If you want your employees to stop a fight, hire an armed guard.

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I think the OP's point- and I agree- is that they went a lot further then just NOT doing something right. They did something wrong. Its past the point of should have had an armed guard....its now into looking at what they did and maybe holding them accountable for their actions, too.

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, they did. They encouraged it and called no one. This went on for a very long time too. Some of you need to go watch the video before you comment. I fixed the link. You will not believe what you see.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No, I expect human beings to try and stop another from being seriously hurt.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

There aren't exactly good public restroom options for a transgendered person. I think when it comes to restrooms, you probably should pick the door that reflects the body parts as you have them, not how you want them. Wouldn't these same girls be widely considered justified if this was some skeevy guy in a trench coat?

Does anyone know if there is an affirmative duty for non-security employees to intervene in fistacuffs.

(edit) I can't watch the video, but I'll take your word that no one called the police. If so, that may subject the entity to liability for failure to minimally protect customers. The yelling may be despicable, but that won't be enough to subject McDonalds to liability.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well that is another story.
    If all they did was just call 911 and say nothing then I would of been fine with it. Encouraging the attackers is another story.

I know for me personally as soon as I got over the "Is this really happening question" my cell would of been out with a 911 call. A cop should be there pretty quickly.

I see some employee's being fired for the very least.

15. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I hope that if I'm ever being attacked by two people your not the person who I need to rely on, it takes very little time for a person to be seriously injured waiting for the cops is hardly the best option.

16. dukebound85, Apr 25, 2011

dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am pretty sure the police were called as it was mentioned in the video:confused:

Regardless, I feel it is not the job of the workers to get involved other than calling for help and separating them but not getting into the fight themselves...like a ref in a boxing ring

However if they want to get involved, they shouldn't be punished by MD

17. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Dear McDonalds: Boom. You just lost a whole lot of customers. Also, you should fire those idiots you have working there and refuse to provide them a reference. They don't deserve anything more after that display of sheer inhumaneness. Even on a human level standing around laughing is wrong. Whatever "company policy" is - not even calling the cops is ridiculous, heinous and shows signs of a deep inability to be human.

18. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

No, I expect them to check on the woman when she's lying on the floor. I expect them to not tell the two woman who beat her up to go away before the cops get there.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd have thought some of the people at a branch of McDonalds would have to have some sort of security training...

20. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

It wasn't a skeevy guy, not even remotely.

Kinda tired of arguing this point, there are too many of you, making unfounded assumptions, brandishing opinions you've clearly not thought through about people you don't even know.

Urgh.

She was in the right restroom, there is a good option, for her to use the loo appropriate to her gender, female.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Assuming McDonalds deal with it appropriately and fire the workers in question that is a bit of an over-reaction.

22. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I won't watch the video because i'm faint of heart, i even had to close my eyes for half of American History X (everyone should watch that movie btw). But this is really messed up that the employees not only did nothing but encouraged it. I would have punched one of those nasty little teenage bitches in the face.

That's not fair. It's not the company's fault. It's called individual responsibilities and these employees should be fired.

23. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

They havent acted appropriately so far... Only firing 1 of them is hardly "appropriate". If they don't fire the lot then I shall stand by this. If they do, and provide every incentive to ensure this won't happen again, Ill gladly change that, but Im still disappointed they have only fired 1 instead of all at once.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Replace the urinals in Men's washrooms with stalls, knock out the wall between there and the Woman's loo, and make it one large Unisex facility.

Problem solved.

Then the men can stand in line too. :p

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I kind of wish I hadn't watched it. It's horrible.

Oh hell yes, they should.