Democracy Is Dead, All Hail The Corporatocracy!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Huntn, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Although this article is three years old, it still applies and is reconfirmed by events today.

The Myth of U.S. Democracy and the Reality of U.S. Corporatocracy

The expansion of corporations "person rights" status illustrated by the Hobby Lobby case, where corporations have been granted exception from the law based on the religious objections of the owners, confirms the assertion although according to this article: The History Of Corporate Personhood, the notion of corporate person-like rights as been around since the 14th Amendment and the 1800s.

I'm sad to say that the Obama Administration appears to be complicit in this arrangement. And "Too Big To Fail" is not an adequate excuse to waylay Justice. If we have given corporations person status, then they should also face criminal penalties that all regular citizens are liable for with misconduct. Granting defacto immunity from prosecution to powerful individuals and corporations based on their power and wealth is inexcusable if we want to claim our country exercises blind justice, which is a joke these days. It's probably always been a joke.

[​IMG]

Justice Gets Lost As The Feds Shake Down Banks

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Of course they are.

The people in charge are all in the same club.
    Why do you think its called the WWF (washington wrestling federation)?
    Its because all fights and debates are show.

Its ultimately the populations own fault.
    They happily vote for those thugs and crooks and they are thrilled to give them more power.

3. samiwas Suspended

And yet, the bankers get a pass?

4. Huntn, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Just curious, do you have a solution? Do you support prosecution? My point is that we as citizens, when we beak the law are subject to prosecution and criminal penalties. Should banks, corporations, and billionaires be exempt from this standard? I'm against letting these entities off the responsibility hook.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Of course corporations, banks and the likes should be held accountable.

Sadly I do not have a solution.
    I know its kind of unconstructive critique, if you dont have one, but I complain nevertheless.

When Ron Paul ran in the GOP I got the impression that he was on the right track.

There is just so much disturbingly wrong going on that its hard to untangle it all.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Obama was more than happy to bail out the bankers & allowed them to keep their bonuses.

its a big Club & we are not in it
    *****George Carlin*****

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The ONLY solution is to get money out of elections. As longs it requires millions of dollars to run for election, corporations and billionaires will have a disproportionately strong voice in government.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

good old george was my favorite philosopher. :D
    In his standups from the 90s he already predicted how they would sell the public the terrorism hogwash to have an excuse to take their rights away. Not that anyone cares anymore now...

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Sadly I have no solution either other than encouraging our leaders to hold up this standard.

Should banks, corporations, and billionaires be held accountable for criminal behavior? Is there a political party equipped to take on the challenge?

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

And what of unions and their influence? How does that differ from corporations? Both are groups of people looking after their own interests.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why would the bans stop their detrimental behavior knowing all it will cost is a fine? A few high profile perp walks on TV would go a long way in reining this **** in.

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Unions are bit players as compared to large multinational corporate behemoths and they have not been granted personhood status. Regarding legal standards, we as society decide what standards we want to uphold. Jail the mugger is a no-brainer, but we allow banks to defraud thousands of people to the toon of millions of dollars and they walk? What's wrong with this picture?

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yes they should & no, at present time there is not , BOTH are more than happy to sell out the American population to the highest bidder.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh please. Unions represent less than 10% of the workforce. Of course we need to be reining in worker's rights and power. :rolleyes:

15. zin macrumors 6502

The guidelines of the Crown Prosecution Service here in the UK state that:

It is sad that this seems to be forgotten time after time all across the world.

The union gets nothing if the corporation does not agree to it. The corporation can engage in price fixing, collusion, fraud, or other unfair activities without letting the end-user (or anybody) agree to (or know about) it. Union power is very different to corporate power.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I have a solution: get the money out of business.

If you want to run a business, fine, run it where you are at. In one location. If you want to expand, form a co-op, a non-profit, non-coercive collaboration of local businesses. And force all financial industries to operate as non-profit service organizations with highly limited overhead.

Thus, there would be no GM, GE, Time-Warner-Comcrast-DirecTV-Newscorp or Haliburton behemoths to threaten the stability of the economy. Bigger is not better. Ever. We have to get free of the sociopathic ideal that has been fed to us by these crazy people and take back the economy.

17. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

This is the solution right here, but disappointingly, no response from the OP.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

He hasn't posted elsewhere, and he isn't the type to abandon his threads. I'm sure he'll be back. I don't think you'll encounter a lot of disagreement on this one.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

sure seems like he did.

20. Huntn, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

This has been my proposed solution for elections since I've been in this forum, however I disagree it is the only solution for this subject- Corporatocarcy. I missed your post where you reference the previous post, but did not realize a response was required of me. Happy now? :)

BTW money corrupts everything it touches. Besides getting money out of elections, you still need to have a legal system that has consistent non-corruptible standards. These are two separate issues that feed into each other.