Democracy Now reporter arrested at RNC.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by crazytom, Sep 4, 2008.

1. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Do we really live in the United States of America? Isn't there some document that says something specific about freedom of the press?

The story.

It's funny how other major news entities haven't covered this. It's a sad, sad day in America. She says that she was on the floor of the RNC and came outside to find out what was going on. It's absolutely amazing how the 'liberal media' is keeping this so silent!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea when there's riots involved what do you expect?

"While most protesters demonstrated peacefully, some engaged in property damage, slashing car tires, throwing bottles, tipping trash bins and breaking windows of cars and buildings. One of the broken windows came in the building that houses Saint Paul Neighborhood Network—that’s SPNN —where Democracy Now! is broadcasting from this week."

hell the same thing happens at football stadiums if crowds get out of hand with police tear gasing and such

rioters, spectators included can be charged at the time since it is a mob activity. same thing happened at my campus a few years back when we had riots where even if you were spectating you got in massive trouble

3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

So if a cop gives you a lawful order, you don't have to obey it if you're a member of the press? Interesting.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I can see how they got caught in the middle of a riot and got detained. Just because they are press doesn't mean they get a free ride.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Its a stunt! Have you seen the crazy **** going on outside the convention? Broken glass and tear gas. It would be so easy to get "lost" in the fray. Not to mention the "instigators" roaming around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEO4rlKfh5U

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...maybe people are angry about something. Just a guess- can't imagine what it could possibly be.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and that's an excuse for breaking laws? rioting? destroying property?

please

those violent protesters deserve to get arrested. sure you can protest peacefully but guess what, they arent

i have no idea how you can imply that their actions are justified....

8. crazytom thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazytom

God forbid that the answer to the rioter woes is: Arrest those that are rioting.

How threatening is it to have a person clearly identified themself, even one that has the security clearance to go on the floor of the RNC, and pose a question and get thrown to the ground for it?

I'm not condoning the action of the rioters, I'm wondering why once a 'riot' is established that everyone is fair game for pepper spray and batons.

Oh, I forgot...it seems to go with the current American way: Shoot first, ask questions later. :rolleyes:

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the reporters were clearly disregarding the officer's orders. just because they are the press doesnt give them special priveledges

the reason why everyone is fair game is because its a mob. do you expect the officers to question each person in the riot? no , their job is to get the situation under control first and foremost. the reporters simply werent complying with the officer's orders. what do you honeslty expect would happen?

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I would think that those that don't want to get caught up in a riot will run away, not stick around. Yeah, I know they were only doing their job covering it, but you never know who might be instigating it. I'm not saying they were, but what if a member of the press was inciting a riot, then was able to walk away because they are press.

They're just complaining because they feel like they should be able to do whatever they please and get away with it because they are press.

11. crazytom thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazytom

You're absolutely right. I apologize. She was very threatening with everything else that was going on in the video, I almost couldn't hear what she was saying because there was so much destruction and chaos happening around her. Thank god for law enforcement protecting us all from the terrorists from within our borders. I will sleep well tonight.

12. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Go away. You're just putting yoru hands over your ears and hoping you'll still be right when you take them away.

13. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

What do you expect? It's not like America is not a police state...

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

America isn't

why people cant comprehend measures in riot control is beyond me.

15. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- it isn't. Bt if people are wondering why it's going on, maybe they should look for the root causes, rather than just dismiss people as crazies. Look where that attitude has gotten us before.

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What if they formed a well-armed militia?

18. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I'm not going to condone the behaviour of the rioters, but where the hell does this tooled up policeman think he is? Minnesota or Mosul?

Policeman.jpg

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, the police do go a bit overboard with their gear sometimes ...

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would not put it past quite a few memembers of the press to start instigating a problem just to cause something like a riot to happen so they have something big to report.

Yet again the classic media spin shows how worthless the media is and how little they care about the truth.

21. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Yeah? Can you give me the law that states I have to do whatever a cop tells me? Oh, wait, that's martial law…

Police policy and procedures are NOT law.

I think you meant "well regulated militia."

I think the opposition in this thread needs to re-read the Constitution of the United States of America. You know, the document that was written to prevent the tyranny of government over the people.

22. crazytom thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I'd rather do that than put my hands over my eyes and not see that a problem exists.

1) I don't see how she was a threat. One arm had a jacket draped over it, the other had her hand in the air.

2) I don't see how she committed a crime.

3) From the time she approached the cop until she was arrested was 10 seconds. I assume that the cops had a zero tolerance policy...which they don't have to think, anything that catches their attention is worthy of arrest.

If she was a rioter, then she should be arrested. I could also understand if she was caught in the fray...but it looked to me like an orderly police blockade with nothing major going on in the immediate vicinity...yes, this is an assumption, but that's what it looks like to me.

I see a gradual erosion of rights. I hear now that 8 people are being charged with terrorism under Minnesota's version of the Patriot Act. Our own citizens...charged with terrorism....huh. While soon after all this goes down, McCain is shouting about how we have to "Fight for what's right for our country. Fight for the ideals and character of a free people." Well, which is it? Fight for your rights and be charged with terrorism or just fight for your rights (as long as they coincide with mine)?

If we keep letting the government erode our rights, eventually it will be too late to do anything about it, when we finally stand up...we'll be terrorists.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hence the reason for my earlier comment. I guess people are angry, wonder why? If folks would stop and think about that for a while, we could solve a lot of problems in this country. Instead we just get one side calling the other crazy. It's a very convenient way to avoid thought.

24. Queso macrumors G4

Why am I reminded of Berlusconi's crackdown on G8 protesters in 2001?

Oh that's right. Because once again the global establishment is sending out the message that dissent isn't acceptable. Peaceful protests are ignored, and when the resulting anger tips over into violence out come the batons.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bingo! And when exactly is the last time our government has listened to us?