Democrat Keith Ellison Accused of Domestic Violence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by EightyTwenty, Aug 12, 2018.

1. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502a

- Nation of Islam member (lied to hide it).
    - Louis Farrakhan friend and defender (lied to hide it).
    - Advocated for all whites in America to be forced to pay blacks for reparations (hasn't lied about this, to my knowledge).
    - And now accused of being a woman-beater (currently lying to hide it).

The #Resistance must be so proud to have this guy as your figurehead. Modern Democrats are real pieces of work.

"The woman, Karen Monahan, confirmed her son’s post on Twitter shortly after he put it on Facebook. The son, Austin Aslim Monahan, posted that he watched a video on her computer in which Ellison could be seen dragging Monahan off a bed as he screamed profanities at her."

http://www.startribune.com/u-s-rep-keith-ellison-denies-domestic-violence-allegation/490674981/

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I'll ignore the "this guy represents all Democrats" BS and say that if the allegations are true, I hope he falls.

4. widgeteer Suspended

Huh? You guys support Trump. You don't care about sexual assault. I'm not saying this to excuse him if this is accurate. We saw what the left did to Al Franken. We also saw wha the right did with Donald Trump: vote for him. You guys have zero credibility on these issues.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If the allegations are true he should be removed from office (and put in jail). However, at this point he denies it, so hopefully if he is guilty the video will be released to prove it. Getting domestic abusers out of office and in jail is not a liberal vs conservative thing.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This stems from a facebook post posted recently:

Please read, if you care about my mother please share.
    I love you momma, you wont have to stand alone
    #ibelieveher
    #wearemanenough
    #timesup
    Keith Ellison Keith Ellison for Attorney General Jason Sole Shvonne L Johnson Will Moore @Shiranthi Goonathilaka Stephen Davis Kiree Jamar Robinson Kendra Weiland Deanna Casablanca Valentine F NdiJustin Monahan StarTribune.com Pioneer Press Lindsey Port Erin Maye Quade Debra Hilstrom Matt Pelikan Hosie Thurmond III

My name is Austin Monahan and I am writing this letter on behalf of me and my brother.
    My brother and I watched our mom come out of pure hell after getting out of her relationship with Keith Ellison. For several months we knew something wasn’t right and couldn’t figure it out. When we asked our mom if everything was ok, she told us she was dealing with some stress and would be ok.
    In the middle of 2017, I was using my moms computer trying to download something and I clicked on a file, I found over 100 text and twitters messages and video almost 2 min long that showed Keith Ellison dragging my mama off the bed by her feet, screaming and calling her a “****ing bitch” and telling her to get the **** out of his house. The messages I found, were mixed with him consistently telling my mom he wanted her back, he missed her, he knew he ****ed up and we wished he could do things different, he would victim shaming, bully her, and threaten her if she went public. I text him and told him I know what you did to my mama and a few other things.
    I met up with my mom that night and asked her what happened. She said nothing happened until I told her I saw a video and hell of a lot of messages saying something different. She finally talked. My brother and I were so angry and hurt for our mom. We were ready to go public but our mom begged us not to and she along with others convinced us it wasn’t in our moms best interest.

I saw message after message through out all that time, where my mom was telling him she wasn’t going back to him but still saw his humanity and offered restorative justice. I honestly don’t see how she would offer him that, but thats her choice.

Sitting all this time, watching what our mom went through and not being able to say or do anything was hard as hell. None of you know the hell our family has gone through. I don’t think half of you would even care. We watched her so called political friends stand by say or do nothing. People had an idea what happened and never reached out to my mom. The same people who are posting about social justice are ready to smear my mom, protect a person who abused her and broke the law. You think we give a **** about a politics when we saw what our mom went through? She may not matter to none of you, but she is our mom, our kids grandmother and she is actually someone. There is a lot more he has done to my mom and others that we saw in the text but our mom can decide if and when she wants to tell the world that part.

Whether we saw the video or read all those messages, we still would have believed her if she had told us. #Ibelieveher

My mom has always tried to protect me and my brother. She doesn’t have to protect us anymore and we aren’t letting her stand alone. When we found out our mom was planning on sharing her story, that is all we needed to hear for us to share ours and stand with our mom. You want to smear someone, try to lie about a person who didn’t do **** to deserve the ongoing emotional, physical abuse, smear me and my brother.

I use to believe the Democrats were the ones who would stand by a person who went through this kind of abuse, now I know both Democrats and Republicans could care less when it comes to violence toward women and girls.

I have learned a lot about how patriarchy has shaped me as a 25 year old through all this. I just became a father and I am working on how patriarchy influenced thoughts ad decisions I have made as a young man so I can teach my son better. I am starting today by standing with my mom, my sons grandma. It is not just on women and girls to speak out, it is on men to do some of the emotional work. I’m not here to prove **** to anyone, I’m just stating facts. You can take it or leave it.
    #Iammanenough

Mom, I am sure you are getting contacted about this post. Just know we love you and we are standing by you.

Austin Monahan
    #Ibelieveher #wearemanenough #Timesup
    facebook post

The timing is curious since he's up for Attorney General of Minnesota, but of course Ellison denies the allegations:

U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison on Sunday denied an allegation of domestic violence by an ex-girlfriend after the woman’s son posted about it on Facebook and she confirmed it on Twitter.

“Karen and I were in a relationship which ended in 2016, and I still care deeply for her well-being,” read the statement from Ellison released by his campaign. He is running for attorney general in the DFL primary on Tuesday.

The woman, Karen Monahan, confirmed her son’s post on Twitter shortly after he put it on Facebook. The son, Austin Aslim Monahan, posted that he watched a video on her computer in which Ellison could be seen dragging Monahan off a bed as he screamed profanities at her.

Ellison denied the existence of the video.

“This video does not exist because I never behaved in this way, and any characterization otherwise is false,” Ellison’s statement read.

A Star Tribune reporter went to Karen Monahan’s apartment, and spoke through a call-box to a woman who said yes when asked if she was Karen. She said she’s not ready to talk to the press and is focused on her kids and family at this moment. “This is a really difficult time,” she said.

On her Twitter account Saturday night, Karen Monahan wrote: “That was my son who posted it and its true. He wouldn’t lie about his own mom.”
    link

7. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Definitely sounds like he needs to go. That said, all this anti-islam nonsense in the original post is uncalled for and really has no bearing on the issue. Are you suggesting that self-identified Christian's are never guilty of domestic violence?

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Domestic abuse isn't a partisan issue. Stop making it one. If true, he needs to go. Just like Trump needs to go. If you believe otherwise, then you're the one making it political.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. I note again, how remarkably silent he is about his own guy having at least 20 different sexual abuse and misconduct allegations against him, resulting in not only 3 different lawsuits that went to court, but him also taking the 5th to get out of a major one with his own wife at the time.

Again, hypocrisy shown and credibility blown. It's hard to take the OP seriously, let alone humourously.

BL.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Honestly, it's desperation. It's like done people have Google alerts for something like this so they can post a gotcha!

11. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

This is an absolutely horrifying, but believable, situation. As someone who has worked with abuse, and yes, occasionally men are victims of abuse, too, this story rings true. Fortunately, if true, there is video to support the charges that can be subpoenaed by the authorities whether the mother wants to file charges herself, or not. If true, another woman might be saved.....and there will be another woman.

To the person who said that "Trump abuses women", I have seen no evidence at all of this. All of the many women he had extra-marital affairs with all say he treated them very well......even Stormy Daniels got a $130,000 payday for only one night with him. Has he been unethical or behaved immorally with women prior to being elected? Certainly by my standards. But I haven't seen any evidence of abuse.

To the person who mistakenly equated Christianity and Islam with regard to the abuse of women, I would like to respectfully differ. There are "sinners" in all religions. But to my knowledge, Islam is the only religion that treats women as chattel that can be beaten, killed, bought, sold, raped, and abused as per the Koran and the wishes of their male relatives. Fortunately, most of the men in that religion do not treat their female family members in this way, but it is sanctioned by their God, Allah.

12. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Any, and let me be perfectly blunt here - ANY unwanted actions towards a woman, whether it be misconduct, abuse, touching, related, unrelated, or otherwise - is wrong. In this instance, Trump shows that he is neither right, pious, trustworthy, and an infidel. his affairs with other women while married show his infidelity. Again, there is no room to talk in this; support Trump while berating this guy, and expose yourselves as hypocrites. Yes, if true, this guy needs to be thrown in jail, but you can not praise or defend Trump and his nearly 40 year streak of incidents like this while taking this guy down.

You haven't read the Bible, have you?

2 Samuel has an entire story where women are abused and raped, and at the wishes of their male relatives.

1 Kings 14 also has a similar story.

My great-uncle just preached on this today, as nearly my entire family are either teachers, or Baptist pastors. You'd be greatly mistaken.

BL.

14. AlliFlowers, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018

AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Why, when a Democrat is accused of anything, must he step down immediately, but a Republican stays until a jury of his peers is assembled.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

You're confusing consensual relations with sexual assault. Trump has sexually assaulted women. Personally, I don't care if you've seen no evidence of it. What kind of evidence of abuse do you think you'll see. Are you looking for pictures of battered women?

16. widgeteer Suspended

Because Republicans don't care about this stuff.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2018 ---
    Yeah, one thing about Christianity and Christians: women are treated great.

17. CPTmom2wp, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018

CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

I'm not sure what you didn't understand. There was nothing in my post to "support Trump". My post stated unequivocally that Trump, in my opinion, has behaved in a morally reprehensible manner with women prior to becoming President. However, objectively, no woman has ever stated that she was abused by Trump, just an observation.

Perhaps I should have qualified my comments about Christianity as "present day", not pertaining to Biblical times. Christians do not condone beating, selling, honor killing, raping their wives, daughters, mothers. Current day Islamists do, basically treating their women as somewhat less than farm animals (quote from my son who spent 2 years in Afghanistan and 1 in Iraq).
    Female Christians are well represented in the Military, have careers in all fields, are equally educated and do pretty much everything men do. Any Christian who lives up to their faith will treat both women and men well "great". Islamic women are not allowed to do anything that the men (including their sons) do not allow them to do and are subject to beating or even honor killing if they do not obey. There have been quite a few recent stories about the Saudi's "allowing" women to drive. It turns out that only a few wealthy women have been allowed to do so, and only if accompanied by a male relative.

18. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

They're treated a lot better than ISLAM, that's for sure. Perhaps you should take a trip to a ME country and see what kind of rights they have, or lack of.

19. widgeteer Suspended

16 women have accused him of abuse. His own first wife said he sexually assualted her.

Sure they do. They just use different names and societal protection in the US to get away with it.
    I'm sure women are thrilled to know that in our country the only way they come out on top is by comparison to worse scenarios in other countries.
    A lot.of Christians most certainly do not live up to their faith.

20. cwanja macrumors 6502a

Pretty typical that absolutely no main stream media is picking up on this. Even allegations, they run 24 hour news banners and speculating about details. But, nothing.

I am certainly not for either side. It just baffles me that main stream media glosses over this.

21. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Yup, just proves the MSM is a just a propaganda megaphone for the Democrats.

22. widgeteer Suspended

Somewhere, Al Franken is relieved to know this.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Just like here, onus is on the accuser to prove their claim. Until then, they have nothing. Or are you not a believer in our system of justice, where you are innocent until PROVEN guilty?

It's amazing how quick you are to condemn while wanting trial by jury for those on your side...

Oh wait; IOKIYAR. :rolleyes:

BL.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

No, it shows that MSM is in it for the viewership (ie: money). Republicans get more coverage because they're generally more ridiculous - and that fuels profits. Was Ellison really a name you knew prior to this allegation? I believe your answer will also answer why this is not getting MSM coverage.

25. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Perhaps it shows that MSM may want more information before possibly d@mning someone?

But if it makes you feel better, some of those 'left' sites have started covering...

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...awmaker-vehemently-denies-any-wrongdoing.html