Democratic debate in Flint, MI (March 6, 2016)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. LizKat, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

What a contrast to the Republican playground brawl last week in Detroit.

Great line near the end when Bernie Sanders remarked that the Democrats want to increase funding for mental health services, and "when you watch these Republican debates, you know why we need to invest in that."

The debate was on substantive issues and covered a lot of ground. I was impressed by both candidates' answers, although Cllinton still seems to freeze up or stumble over questions about the crime bill in the 90s, and Sanders (although getting better) still likes to reduce everything to what's wrong with Wall Street. I really enjoyed listening to it. You ccould hear the questions and answers and there were not many interruptions or talking over each other. As usual though they both wanted to keep talking past when the mods wanted to move on... a pol is a pol!

Edit: to conform quote per a transcript (thanks @jnpy!$4g3cwk )

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Hillary's smug demeanor was really annoying.

3. FieldingMellish Suspended

Michael Moore let his choice be known. And Hillary appeared affected by a dormant cyber pathogen.

4. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

She came totally prepared for the thing and did well. They both did.

Bernie doesn't do smug as well, I'll give you that. He was so funny when at that one point he said something was "yuuuuge" and then immediately waved himself off it and said "well, we don't want to go there..."

He ends up being more likeable in their debates because he pretty much says what he thinks to the question even if it's politically off message. Like tonight saying "Democrats are not always right...." at some point. I looked at Clinton just then and there was almost a look of envy or something similar on her face that he'd feel so free to just say that, as an idea that could occur to anyone in a conversation about some issue.

lt's like watching Sanders talk if you asked him a question over the dinner table. Asking Clinton a question and there always seems a tiny pause and then a well crafted answer. It's impressive but in a different and more remote way, and it's a lot more like most politicians who have rehearsed for their debates and mean to stay on message.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Great debate. I feel like debates aren't necessarily won anymore. You would rarely find anyone this late in the game who haven't already made their mind up for who they are voting for. They both held their own and did what they needed to do. My opinion of either of them hasn't changed.

But, the contrast between this debate and the Republican is astonishing.

6. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Just saw some tweet from Fusion float by: "The Flint #DemDebate went 109 minutes without a single mention of Donald Trump."

I don't know who's more tired of Trump: the RNC, the other GOP candidates, the Democrats, the pollsters or the media caught in the crossfire of "failing to vet Trump" and "letting Trump hijack the press."

Anyway that tweet got it right and the effect was refreshing.

7. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Did Hillary really talk about anything except social memes stolen from Bernie and Trump? Her speeches are so mind blowing hypocritical and boring it make me want to shower and nap after hearing them.

Bernie is more inspiring when he trashes special interest then starts trashing Hillary saying...ooops.. MSM just cut him off lol.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

It's more as though the Democrats ran out of expletives for Trump, rather than anything to do with Trump overload - yet it is overload partly of Democratic and MSM creation.

9. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Clinton was offering facts and figures tonight though, so it wasn't just hot air balloons lifted off Bernie's media feeds. I prefer not to hear her say anything in debates that reminds me of video clips from her stump speeches, but she will do that sometimes. Then I cringe and hope I pay more attention than the average viewer.

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The transcript is online at several sites BTW. Here is one:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...the-democrats-debate-in-flint-mich-annotated/

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You could tell that Bernie really got under Hillary's skin. Her screech was a higher pitch than usual and her coughing fits returned.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Best quote from that debate:

BL.

13. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Aye. Not all politicians are the same - and at least for this current debate both are having decent reasons to beyond the moderators' imposed time limits. Complex issues reduced to 90 second sounds bytes rarely gets every nuance out, and sometimes they're going to forget the core causes of problems.

But on fracking, Clinton clearly had more detail put into a plan. We all know "no" is the ideal, but Sanders' input was underwhelming, most of us knows that turning the switch OFF isn't going to help, and the "carbon neutral tax" stuff is only going to give a free pass to polluters and do nothing to solve the problems. Not unlike carbon credits, though to be fair I've not seen any numbers showing if those concepts truly work or if they are lobbyist-induced inverse giveaways or not.

And hyperfocusing on Wall Street as being the sole problem or nadir only works to a point, and only on certain issues -- even 99% of the Occupy Wall Street crowd understand that.

I wish one would choose the other as a running-mate.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 7, 2016 ---
    Which only proves the MSM, which exists to profit since it is comprised of for-profit businesses and is not government- or commie-owned, sees more potential profit in liberal audiences, which means more of America is more liberal than people want to believe. I've taken economics classes in college, but does one need to college to see the obvious?

14. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Not surprisingly, the wishful thinking is in full force today. Need I remind you that Bernie was the one who snapped at Hillary.

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Sure, Bernie was cranky but that's his schtick. Anyway, put microphone in front of two old white people and you get all kinds of hilarity.

16. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes but we had already put microphone in front of two bratty boys, a standoffish prig of a colleague and their avuncular babysitter, and we got a tedious demo of playground pottymouth. They forgot that independent voters might be trying to figure out how the candidates stand on the issues -- hard to sort out when they all talked over each other the whole time. I'll take the geezers' only occasionally having done that.

Of course maybe on balance I would have preferred to see a 2016 general election playoff come up between a couple of ex-rock-band musicians like Jon Huntsman and Martin O'Malley. If we're living in an era where presidents can't get a Congres to negotiate on legislation, the poor guy who wins the White House might as well have some fun in the halls of that place Harry Truman is said to have called "the crown jewel of the federal penal system."