"Democratic governor: Obamacare 'no longer affordable' for many"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Oct 12, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/minnesota-mark-dayton-obamacare-not-affordable-229690

I think the reader comments have most to say, since most - predictably - pretend all was ever so awesome before 2010 that no reform of any sort was needed.

Was it not true that Obamacare started out a lot better, including even a single payer option, but became what it was signed to be thanks to lobbying efforts by big insurance that wanted a bigger share, with even Romneycare being incorporated because that passed and would thus be more likely to be accepted by the almost-constantly obstructing GOP?

If Hillary is elected, I hope she can hammer at the system's problems. I'd read she had a couple of good ideas...

Trump sounds like the typical GOP that overlooks the problems in our current system. Yes, people in charge of their money sounds nice. People no longer have money thanks to this economy that pays a pittance and does not value the wealth that the wealth creators make is pitiful considering how much more taxpayers spend in corporate welfare as opposed to social welfare programs. Arguably military if "US interests abroad" include protecting corporations, since it looks like even China's nationalists are getting violent at "American" companies: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36842660 (sorry, they are "multinational". It's not as simple as trying to frame them as being "American" and for a multitude of reasons, there is no one-sided blame to go around... but their violence is arguably no worse than a number of Trump supporters' (or his protestors') vile antics...)

Oh, and why another bailout, apart from their forgetting when Obama screamed "no more bailouts, period"? (though corporate welfare spending showing bailouts are still alive and well and in a free market that constantly bleats about government involvement in it being bad!) The supply side gets plenty of corporate welfare to begin with, are anybody in that list the same companies that lobbied for Obamacare in its current form, and the rest of us are too tapped out to help. :( http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2016/06/30/Obamacare-Insurers-Are-Looking-Taxpayer-Bailout Wouldn't it be cheaper to start from scratch, wipe the slate clean, start anew? Single payer would obviously remove the strain on all these companies and their profits would skyrocket as if it were 1981 again...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's worked well for everyone, hasn't it? ("But, but, raise prices and make it here and costs will go up!" Given all the slashing in the first place to make those profits artificially go up, doesn't it seem a number of other factors are in play?)

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

it was not affordable considering the out of pocket cost, how STUPID do you have to be spending 300 million just introducing what amounted to be nothing but a tax on the poor? you can't afford it? it's ok, just pay the fine , you don't have cash? no problem it just comes out of your EIC, thanks for helping us pay for the illegal war. suckers.

3. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I think the biggest problem with Obamacare is not what is written into the law, but instead the regulations that created its implementation. These regs created more issues than needed.

For example why does every plan have to have maternity care? A single guy in his 20's doesn't need it nor does the menopausal female in her late 50's. Yet they have to have it. Also, except in very limited cases the catastrophic plans are gone. I never really understood paying a 3rd party to pay my Dr for a physical. Why can''t I just pay it and skip the 3rd party?

At this point I think the only thing to fix it will be a single-payer or maybe in the short term a public option.

But politics being politics, the GOP is not going to help to try to fix it because they want to be 1) right that it would fail in the current form (looks like they be) and 2) want credit for repealing and replacing with something better ( not sure they can, but maybe).

But no, it can not sustain itself as it is and I give it maybe two more years before it implodes.