Democratic Memo Released

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 24, 2018.

1. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Actually it will prove to be just as interesting to Republicans. Just came out, so lot to scrutinize. So far some timeline discrepancies and some things the Democrats are not refuting.

2. 0007776 Suspended

And an awful lot that has been redacted, probably for political rather than security purposes.

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The one thing it pretty conclusively demonstrates is that Page was already under investigation by the FBI well before anyone had heard of any Steele research and that the investigation would have proceeded no matter what Steele said.

4. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yep. Makes for fascinating reading.

RedactThisBaby.jpg

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This chunk is one of the most important pieces too. Time to remove the redactions.

Only issue I see is they don't come out and deny that the fact that Clinton paid for the document never came out in the applications. They make references that the court was told about political motivations, but that's not the same as admitting it's opposition research.

6. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Who exactly are these memos written for?

Anyone can write a memo.

I can write a memo. This comment could be a memo.

So if they're writing the memo in the first place... what's the point of all the redactions?

Why not just write another memo without all the secret stuff?

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

That's the name of the title song in Memos: The Musical coming next year to Broadway!

8. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

How long did it take? I almost forgot about the Democratic memo. Wonder if they had to wait for another order of magic markers to finish the redactions?

9. jerwin macrumors 68020

there's a date on the first page. 29 January, 2018.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Ah leave it to you to invoke the Clintons when you don't like the subject matter. Sorry but this isn't about them, but thanks for playing.

11. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Oh don't worry. Clinton will be mentioned many times in this thread. Ill try to keep count just for fun. Deflection is the only tool left at this point.

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I think the point may have been to note to the public that there was more to the work the FBI did on the matter than was documented to us by the Nunes memo, or the version that was released to us anyway. I don't have a quarrel with the redactions per se since they may be meant to protect methods and sources. At this point one could well wonder about the level of protection of redacted references in this particular document, since there are Congress critters with quite partisan views on both sides of the aisle who have seen the references without redaction... and they are human and tempers are hot on this thing, so I hope the sources and methods, if that's what's at stake, have been moved, obscured, relocated etc.

What a mess. Nunes' whole endeavor reminds me of my drinking days when somewhere around closing time the teller of some shaggy dog story down the end of the bar would get lost just trying to recount a pointless tale and one by one even his most stalwart comrades slid off their bar stools into the night.

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

That is ZA's main go to tool.

14. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

I guess my point was... why not write a memo to the public?

Apparently anyone can just write anything down. Or stand in front of a TV camera. There are cameras everywhere.

Who was the original recipient of the memo? Maybe I'm not understanding what the purpose of a "memo" is. :)

15. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

You may as well have asked Nixon to approve the evidence found at Watergate. Democrats had to know there's no way Trump would ever let it through if it didn't politically serve him well.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sure it is, they paid for the dossier.

17. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I guessed you missed the part that the dossier didn't play a role in the Page investigation and what role it did play doesn't change regardless of who paid for it nor does it change the info of the dossier. SO no you're wrong yet again.

Cliff Notes taken from reddit

1. Steele Dossier played NO role in opening the Carter Page investigation. They began their investigation prior to even receiving it.

2. The DOJ did in fact inform the court of the origin of the Steele Dossier.

3. They accuse Nunes of deliberately misrepresenting the underlying FISA Warrant intelligence.

4. Four different judge's approved FISA warrants including judge's appointed by Bush and Reagan. Multiple DOJ officials also approved the applications prior to the court even seeing them including Trump appointees Rosenstein and Boente.

5. They actually started listening to Page after he left Trump campaign so the idea they were watching him to spy on Trump is absurd.

6. Page has a long history with Russia going back to 2004 and was being actively investigated once before already in 2013. The FBI had even interviewed him in 2016 again prior to receiving the Steele Dossier. The Steele dossier was referenced in the application as corroboration of certain things, and not to independently demonstrate.

7. A bunch of blacked out additional evidence with a bit in the middle noting Page lied to the HIC in his testimony in 2017 about meeting with Russian officials.

8. It included the footnote that discusses the Steele dossier source which SPECIFICALLY STATES ..."The FBI speculates the the unidentified U.S. Person was likely looking for information that could be used to discredit Candidate #1's campaign." Candidate 1 is Trump I believe, edit I previously thought Person 1 was Steele, this is the person coordinating with Steele. Steele is Source #1.

9. DOJ timely informed the court when the FBI fired Steele and why.

10. The attacks on Bruce Ohr for knowing Steele/and his wife working for Fusion GPS are 100% baseless. He was not involved in the FISA process and disclosed his relationships in November 2016.

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

The Nunes memo was addressed to "HPSCI Majority Members" - the Republican majority members of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. That is the committee Nunes chairs. It purported to summarize accusations that the committee by a party line vote had decided to level at the DoJ and FBI over their allegedly illegal surveillance of an American citizen. It contained classified references, and was edited before it was released to the public.

As to the purpose of the memo,,,, or the underlying investigation, and/or the specific purpose of making it public,,,, those are still being debated. I haven't been following it lately...

Derail Mueller by delegitimizing the agencies that authorized his Trump investigation?

Hang Hillary Clinton out to dry because... gee no one's tried that yet and she might have been breathing while paying for oppo research other people were also interested in funding for their own reasons? (but we had already learned all that)

Make Devin Nunes famous for something besides earlier having breathlessly presented classified info to the White House in the middle of the night that they could have acquired by asking for it? (yah that part is truly weird and may even have stepped up scrutiny of him somewhere, who knows, so who could blame him for wanting to get famous for something else)

Score points for the GOP? (that seems to have backfired, although YMMV)

Provoke a response from the HPSCI's Dems? (that seems to have worked)

Sell newspapers (ditto).

I give up. I'm going back to fishing through my iTunes library for stuff I haven't listened to in awhile. This thread inspired me to cue up Alan Hovhaness' Mysterious Mountain. :p