Democratic Presidential Debate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dsnort, Jul 23, 2007.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Did anyone catch the Democratic Presidential debate tonite?

I have to admit I skipped, as I find most political debates to be huge yawn fests.

From a poll being shown on the Drudge report, it looks like Obama cleaned house. Anyone who saw it have an opinion?

2. MLeepson macrumors 6502

I watched it. The questions were from YouTube and it gave the debate a new twist. It was much more interesting to watch than any other debate.

I'm not sure who "won" this one.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I missed it, anyone know if CNN's replaying it? There's 2 hours of AC360 at like 1 AM I might record, but I'm not sure if that's the debate or not

4. MLeepson macrumors 6502

According to this it'll be back on at 11 PM EST/ 8 PM PST 12 AM EST/ 9 PM PST

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks! Watching it right now. Not bad so far, I definitely like the twist YouTube added to it.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What the hell, was Kucinich just giving out his cell phone number for people to text him to end the war in Iraq?

7. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

8. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

I think Anderson Cooper lost it, the 400th time he cut someone off or tried to keep the answer on-topic. What a joke. I know they need rules and time limits, etc., but these formats just don't work. I actually agree with Edwards on this -- hold smaller debates.

9. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Actually, I thought the debate was one of the best I've ever seen. Cooper actually made many of the candidates give a straight answer, even questioning them a second and third time if need be to find a "yes" or "no," which I've never seen any moderator do during a debate (Lehr, et al).

It was quite refreshing from all the same old recycled questions, done in a completely different style than has ever been seen before in the history of American politics. I thought it was great. However, I can understand how some might be critical of the lack of time given for each answer, considering the gravity of many of the questions, but Cooper did a GREAT job in trying to get each candidate moving along without seeming rude.

P.S. Along with the vast majority voting on Drudge, I thought Obama cleaned house, with Clinton coming in a distant second. Of course, I've been an Obamarama supporter for quite some time. :)

P.P.S. I REALLY disagree with Maui, in that, I thought Cooper did a great job of interrupting every single time because the candidates were either way over their time limit, went way off-topic, or were simply blowing smoke. That's exactly the part that I think was great; no time for politicizing, simply straight answers. Well, as straight as a politician can give. :rolleyes:

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I've caught pieces elsewhere, and frankly, I'm not really impressed with any of them.

11. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

If this thread was the debate, you wouldn't have been able to reply to me and say you disagree. You would have told a mod. The format sucks. The candidates don't debate, they make 30-second statements. The one time Obama tried to start to engage Clinton, Cooper cut him off. I want to see Obama go after Clinton and Edwards directly, back and forth. Then it will be a debate. Until then, it's just a bunch of commercials strung together.

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Plenty of time for that. This is still the "get acquainted" phase of the campaign.