Democrats are in a dangerous position.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Nov 7, 2018.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

IMHO, even though Dems now control the House, the ball is still very much in #45's court.
    (Note Senate gains and not a significant movement to House and Governors shift.)

They way I see it overall there is strong support for #45, and Dem's are now a much bigger target for #45 to launch insults at, and this time #45 can legitimately say they are cause for problem in US.

At this time even whispering impeachment would be extremely bad for Dems.

Thoughts?

2. raqball macrumors 68000

It could be good for them as I might be inclined to vote for (D) who choose to act like adults and lose the obstruct and resist crap.. It could also be bad for them depending on how they act.

It's in their court now and they have the choice on how they behave... I am one minor vote in a sea but I'll be paying attention....

3. samcraig macrumors P6

What Trump lost (among other things) is ability to thwart Mueller. Oh sure there are still ways. But with Dems owning the House - it's extremely more precarious.

4. PracticalMac, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Well, the House Dems can only control how the react to #45 and Reps.
    IMHO Dems should work hard with House Reps on bills both sides are happy.
    If Senate or #45 shoots down, its not them, as you say, Obstructing or Resisting.

It is the Abraham Lincoln approach, make peace and work to rebuild.

5. raqball macrumors 68000

I am fully capable of telling the difference between what they've been doing for the past 2 years and trying to work for the betterment of the country. If they try and are blocked by (R) or Trump then good for them and they'll probably gain my vote.

6. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Of course, but that should be something the Dems not talk about if at all possible.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Plan B. And I'm not talking the I word. I'm just talking about keeping the investigation going to it's ultimate outcome - whatever it is.

8. raqball macrumors 68000

I am fine with keeping going what already happening... If all they plan on doing is adding 500,000 more investigation then I'll pass.....

9. samcraig macrumors P6

I can't tell if Trump is daring Dems to investigate him further or not in this press conference. He was bragging that he's better at "that game."

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

They are not yet talking impeachment. They are waiting for the Mueller report.

11. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Better at what game? The investigation game? He had 2 years to investigate Hillary for the umpteenth time and that didn't go anywhere in the House. Nothing in the Senate either.

Now it's time for him to brace for 2 years of investigations. Republicans just love investigations, right?

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

That's just hinting that he has the power to uncover the skeletons in the closet of those that investigate him, of which there are plenty.

We're going to see 2 years of bringing up something legit on Trump only to be deflected by bringing up something legit from the Dems side. No progress will be made. America will continue to march us towards the precipice of climate disaster by having yet another lost 4 (hopefully, but if the Dems don't run a real change in 2020 Trump will be reelected) years on actually doing something.

That only brings us...40 years into ignoring our killing of the support systems life relies on at this point? I'm sure we'll get around to it....

13. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Who do you think they should nominate for 2020? I’m seeing a lot of people mention the Senator from Minnesota (my home state), Amy Klobuchar. I wouldn’t vote for her but I think she’d be a stronger candidate than Liz Warren, Kamala Harris or Corey Booker.

14. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

They either hit back with non-corporate populism or they’ll lose. The upcoming crash will see to that. You can only destroy people’s livelihoods twice in two decades before they do something about it...hopefully.

The response to the upcoming recession will determine where American history turns going forward, we either learn from the wealth concentrating failure of the last response or we just hand the keys over officially to the oligarchs, there is no middle ground.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Mueller.

Soon, hopefully, so that either the issue can be put to rest or Trump impeached. Then Congress can stop bickering about Trump and start bickering about policy.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Is it strong support for Trump or a dislike for what the democratic party has become?

17. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

More like deep partisan divide that only looks at very select information streams.

18. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I think the Dems need to take a hard look at this past election and how their candidates did.

From the results I have seen, most of their house pickups were in suburban districts and the candidates were much more moderate than the leadership. Then look at who lost: Beto, Gillium and Abrams - all much farther left than those who won.

How this will affect how Pelosi is able to control them (assuming she is even speaker) is yet to be seen, but I will go out on a limb and predict if the Dems nominate someone far left (Warren, Harris, Booker, Bernie), they will get Trump for 4 more years. Also those newly elected Reps from suburbia probably shouldn't fall completely in line behind Pelosi or they may be voted out as well.

19. Rigby macrumors 601

I wish she would claim victory and step aside. Looking at the new Dem House members, what jumps out to me is that most of them are young by politician standards (some even in their 30s). It's a new guard, and the party leadership could use some fresh blood as well.

20. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

All I have to say: let the subpoenas begin!!

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Gee how about just getting some infrastructure and ACA repair off the drawing board, as you know a little high-five to constituents that their needs actually have some bearing on the existence of a ****ing federal government? Why not swear in a new Congress as if we expect them to legislate for the public good for a change. Can't hurt, since that's what they're supposed to be doing anyway.

Let Mueller deal Trump off to the Feds, there's probably enough there to lock the guy and his family up for decades.

Meanwhile the Don has a pen arm and can sign bills Congress passes, same as Presidents usually do and even he has been known to do in the first 21 months of his mischief-making Presidency. This half of his term could save his Presidential if not personal legacy if he stepped up to the plate and acted like a President of all the people.

Fresh House, fresh start for the dude in the oval office? (let's get a new press secretary though, this one is about worn out from backing 6000+ lies and counting, I'd say).

All bets are off on the fresh start for Trump if he has Whitaker fire Mueller though... :eek:

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I think it's a little to late for that strategy. Besides, Obama had the first year and a half of total control, which is something the Right loved to repeat over and over and over again. Now it's time for the Dems to repeat the same about Trump.

23. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I'm worried as well, but not as worried as I would be if the Republicans had retained control of the House. It will be interesting to see how Trump and the G.O.P. play this. In Trump's mind the losses on the G.O.P. side sent a message to moderate Republicans: "Fall in line, or else." That could mean that there will be fewer Republicans who were willing to compromise and cooperate with Democrats. Not that there were many willing to do that before, but now Trump is gloating as he talks about the Republicans who lost because they didn't want to "embrace him."

The most frightening outcome of this midterm election is that Trump feels that his strategy of ratcheting up the bombastic rally rhetoric worked for those who did embrace him. He will go straight into campaigning for 2020 by continuing to appeal to his base by hating on those who oppose him. That means two more years of escalating hate speech and fear-mongering. It's not going to be an atmosphere for bipartisan cooperation, which means two years of ineffective legislating that Trump will blame on the Democrats. 2020 will be another election year with a country divided so evenly, and so bitterly, that any outcome will be possible. As much as it pains me to write this, Trump's chances of a second term have never looked better... and the odds of widespread G.O.P. success in 2020 won't be so bad either.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How will Trump do better if there’s an economic crash under him?

25. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

It's the Toddler-in-Chief that shows he does not care to compromise or work with the Dems. He showed this when even bipartisan bills (to succeed ACA) were introduced, he just dismissed them without a second thought. He's the problem.