Democrats blast Bush for runaway gasoline prices

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

$3 gallon of petrol.

Cry me a river, your so hard done by.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/18/060418211031.8onrfqm1.html

Democrats blast Bush for runaway gasoline prices
    Apr 18 5:10 PM US/Eastern
    Email this story
    Democrats accused President George W. Bush of an "absence of leadership" for failing to slow the rapid rise of US gasoline (petrol) prices, which now have breached the three dollars per gallon mark in parts of the country.

In a letter to the president, 15 Democratic members of the US Senate also renewed their call for an "energy summit" to discuss strategies for tackling the rising cost of fuel, and urged his support for proposed anti-price gouging legislation.

"We have thus far been disappointed by your administration's lack of response to our invitation to co-host an emergency bipartisan national energy summit. This offer still stands," the lawmakers wrote.

"In the absence of leadership or cooperation from your administration, we will soon be moving ahead with our own set of real solutions, which will spur the kind of innovation and investment America needs to secure its energy future for the 21st century," Democrats said.

Gasoline prices across the United States have seen a sharp hike in recent days, and experts are predicting that vacation travelers in July and August will face pump prices that are about 25 percent higher than last year.

Democrats -- who say the price hike is due in large part to price-gouging by oil producers -- are calling for strong consumer protection measures. They also urged aggressive programs to develop biofuels, alternative fuels and energy-saving technologies.

"We stand ready to work with you to develop a serious national strategy to curb Americas dangerous dependence on oil," the senators wrote.

Among the 15 senators signing the letter were Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, and senators Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, John Kerry and Joe Lieberman.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

In his state of the union address, he paid lip service to the issue but his handlers (the oil companies) pulled him back. There's little hope that anything will happen until he's out of office or he decides to invade Iran. If he does, then oil will skyrocket to the point where business in the US will collapse, then and only then will there be a push for more efficient energy usage.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Oh, THAT'S encouraging.

I remember reading/seeing mention about the only hope for alternative fuels (such as variations of ethanol, biodiesel etc) in the US is sustained higher traditional gas prices - which will make both investors and consumers more interested and commited to the development of these alternatives.

So, as much as I hate spending this much at the pump, and as much as I feel concern fot the individuals and businesses that this will hurt - I am glad that gas is expensive.

People can learn to carpool, to take public transport and to walk or bicycle around more. It's tough love.

Plus, there is that whole global warming issue - here in Texas we have set record temperatures for 4 days straight. It is not supposed to be 100º in the middle of April.

4. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

I thought you (generally, not all ) americans didn't believe in global warming - it was all a conspiracy plan to bring down the american economy :-\

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my announced target of a couple years ago was $5/gallon. that's the point at which i think we'll see a major change of behavior.

indeed, just yesterday, i watched a guy in an SUV leave his motor running while his girlfriend ran into the grocery store. i can't believe people are still doing that (and of course he was parked in the fire lane).

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Not to highjack the thread, but I saw a riveting (because it was so scary) NOVA program on global warming AND another climate trend called global dimming.

Briefly put, global dimming is caused by non-greenhouse gas pollutants, such as soot, sulphur etc. These pollutants cause the formation of clouds that are denser and reflect more light back into space, having the net effect of cooling the earth. Recent erratic monsoon behavior is based on this dimming, as equatorial waters have not warmed enough to move rain belts as they used to.

More troubling, however, is that they have been masking the true extent of global warming. Scientists approximate that global temperature has gone up about 3ºF due to global warming, but Global Cooling has cooled us by about 2ºF

Unfortunately, many modern nations have cut back on these traditional pollutants, while accelerating the production of greenhouse gases. The net effect being a much more rapid temperature increase, by as much as 25ºF, with rising temperatures releasing frozen methane on the ocean floor which is a much more plentiful and powerful greenhouse gas than CO2. Trees would die, arable land would turn into desert and much of the world would be under water( including Florida, so it isn't all bad), with sea levels rising 25M. This could be by 2100.

Scary stuff.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I realize this is just political posturing to get people riled up, but for some reason I'm fine with it. It's not all Bush's fault, but he certainly hasn't helped. I'd even go so far as to say he's made it worse. Much worse.

I just realized I could have been talking about almost anything there, he's just doing that bad of a job.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In the first place, we don't have petrol in this country. We use gas. ;)

In the second...people are right, of course, in that more expensive gas will probably lead to positive outcomes, the theory being high gas prices --> consumer complaints/more support for alternative fuels --> development of alternative fuels and vehicles that use them.

I think Americans would tolerate high gas prices better if they felt that it was caused solely by market forces. But when they read that oil companies are making record profits, they smell something stinky...and it ain't burning gasoline.

The other point to make is that, even if we could switch to alternative fuels tomorrow, many people still think the same companies would be gouging us on the new fuel. And they're probably right.

9. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Absolutely, they will find an excuse ( do they really need one? ) to jack up prices to protect their profits.

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Of all the things the Democrats could blast Bush for, they choose high gas prices, something he has no direct control over. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why not have a press conference calling for hearings into pre-war intelligence? Or the NSA data-mining rumors? Or the continued detention of people at Guantanamo? Frakking useless ***holes.

OT: I read in a Newsweek (a couple of years ago) that if England had the same tax levels on gasoline that the US has your gas would be cheaper than ours. If we had the same tax levels you do, maybe we'd finally be induced to better city planning, more mass transit, and (gasp!) higher CAFE standards (something Bush *can* influence).

Recently saw the preview for that Al Gore movie on global warming, "An Inconvenient Truth". Yeesh. You can find it here.

[edit: fixed link]

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not if you make a direct connection between world oil prices and the Bush administration's saber-rattling over Iran.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Ths sad truth is both parties have done zilch over the past 20 - 30 yrs so here we are again. Govt could make a huge dent by just going after cars trucks and Suvs. Govt forgot all about energy, thinking cheap gas would be here for forever. I think its funny how fast people are running away from the pigs they drive.

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-zimv20

Laying the blame of this issue at the feet of anyone is difficult at best, but really a distraction at the end of the day. The facts are that prices are up for everyone.

I agree with zimv20, high prices force everyone to rethink - even that fool in the SUV idling outside the store.

I think that there is no better way to change the behavior of everyone is to pinch them in the wallet.

I, for one, am somewhat envious of Brussels, The Netherlands and others who have such a bicycle-commute metality. HEY! Maybe high prices could lead to we fat Americans to lose weight too! And that may lead to lower health care costs.

Gee, these prices get better all the time!

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm willing to wager it'll be much higher, perhaps double what your prediction is, before we see widespread change.

I think there are many Americans who would spend as much as or more than 50% of their income on fuel to get to work.

A select few would continue on as de facto slaves to oil, driving to work just to pay to put gas in the tank so they can drive to work.

15. katchow macrumors 6502

or,

high gas prices --> consumer complaints/more support for drilling in our own backyards--> postpone development of alternative fuels and vehicles that use them

oh and a reissue of the Lincoln Continental :)

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you're probably right. i should revise my prediction.

how about when the price of a movie ticket is cheaper than a gallon of gas?

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

:)

nice to see you back here, sir.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Or perhaps liquor.

I was somewhat amused at local reaction to the $3.30+ gas prices after Katrina. Most people rushed out and filled up all their vehicles as the price stretched toward $3.50; some bought gas cans and filled them up, too.
    Everyone was trying to avoid having to fill up at $4 and in the process taxed the already thinning supply of gasoline, raising prices even higher. More stupid than a one-day boycott.

What no one thought to do was buy a nice bike and start riding to work.

Me, I kept driving with pre-Katrina $2.50 diesel in my tank for another two weeks.

19. aquajet macrumors 68020

Damn you and your TDI! ;)

Me? I'm perfectly content riding about on my Specialized Hard Rock.

And speaking of ethanol...

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for whatever reason, diesel in chicago is more expensive than (regular) unleaded. i just paid $3.20 / gallon, but i did fill up my tank. so i'm good until june.

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Any city seems to be sucky for diesel prices and availability. I'm in PA, which sees more truck traffic than any other state, so that tends to keep prices depressed.

Still, it's not uncommon to see a 30¢ shift in price between two stations 15 miles apart.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's called "zone pricing," one of the dirty tricks played on us by the refiners. I happen to live in a zone where gasoline prices are consistently 10-15 cents higher than every other community around us, even at stations selling the same brand.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My state currently has a 31 cent per gallon tax on gas. It hurts.

And while I secretly applaud the super high prices (not the tax! :mad: ) as a potential catalyst of change in the American psyche, I super-secretly lament that I live 25+ miles from work and drive a small SUV that gets 18MPG average (if I'm careful).

I also fear for the folks that are in the teers below middle class, where super high gas prices REALLY hurt.

24. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

That's not a bad prediction. Here in the UK, average petrol/gas price is 94.6p/litre = £3.58 per US gallon, or $6.41 at today's exchange rates. I reckon we won't get people *really* considering alternative transport options here until it hits £2/litre = £7.57 per US gallon, which is - amazingly - about the price of a cinema ticket. Of course, by the time that happens, the cost of fuel will have led to an increase in prices of everything, so perhaps the two will never meet. But we sure won't be driving to the cinema.

Energy prices - partcularly natural gas - have seriously affected inflation rates here, such that despite an otherwise strong economy inflation has been consistently above the Bank of England's target for several months now.

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Have you considered a conversion so that you can run your car on vegetable oil? A local University of Central Floriduh student did the conversion and he gets vegetable oil that a local restaurant has used--for free--and it works just fine. He hasn't paid for fuel for over a year.

Why should anyone blame President Bush for the price of gasoline? His friends, of course, have influence over the matter and he reaps some rewards but wasn't it Pres. Nixon who removed the limiting factor in order to encourage competition? Prices certainly never went down from what I remember. When I first had a car, a gallon of gasoline and a Big Mac were the same price...about 75 cents. I guess things aren't so different now, either.