Democrats in Tennessee House Outsmart Republicans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jan 13, 2009.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://planetrye.blogspot.com/2009/01/details-from-capitol.html

That story does leave out some details, which I'll fill in from what I've heard about it on Daily Kos. The republicans just took the majority in the house, but barely. 50 Rs to 49 Ds. The Rs had planned on electing a far right wing extremist as Speaker of the House, and they were so confident, in fact, this neocon brought his own bible to be sworn in on today. But, there was one republican, who's much more of a moderate. So moderate that the other republicans were bullying him and threatening boycotts on his family business unless he voted with them. So he got all 49 Democrats to vote for him, plus his vote, made 50, electing him speaker. He's still a republican, but he's much more moderate and not a right wing nutjob, and has promised bipartisanship, and hopefully, he'll deliver.

I sometimes wish the US House had the balls to do that.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's pretty great. Although, I do respect a man who brings his own Bible to the swearing in. I mean, what if I swore on someone else's Bible and it turned out they hadn't ripped out all the pages which they choose to ignore? That would be positively un-Christian. :mad:

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Nice story. Reminds me a little bit of when the Senate Republicans pissed off Jim Jeffords and he left the party to become an independent. Since he caucused with the Dems, that tipped the balance of power to them. :)

At any rate, it's always nice when someone from the loony right doesn't get into a position of power.

Now if we can just get rid of John Boehner....