Democrats Reject William Barr's Offer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 20, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

3. raqball, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019

raqball macrumors 68000

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

it's classified info so they can't just view it and go tell anyone they wish ...............

5. raqball macrumors 68000

If Barr were to give them the information it would need to be with the understanding that if leaked, he will hold them accountable to the fullest extent of the law......

The only people who'd be authorized are the chairs of the 2 committees I mentioned earlier. I am not an attorney but that's my understanding... I assume lawyers and judges would and will disagree as to if those chairs are even entitled to the information without a Federal Judge ordering it.,...

6. Solver macrumors 6502a

You could give like 12 them 12 different pieces of redacted information, and in the event that confidential information ever got out you know just where the leak is, and how to permanently plug it.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The chair and ranking member of the intelligence committee (but not the judiciary committee), along with the Speaker and House Minority Leader, and the Senate Majority and Minority leaders, are allowed to see classsified info. This group is commonly called the Gang of Eight.

To see grand jury info, even the Gang of Eight needs permission from a federal judge.

Legal battles are coming, yes.

8. raqball macrumors 68000

Grand Jury information is handled differently than classified material.... We discussed this before and I provided a link to the DOJ that discusses GJ information and it's release.

The only people who'd be authorized are the chairs of the 2 committees I mentioned...

Here is a CNN article discussing it:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/09/politics/congress-grand-jury-information/index.html

*snip*

Under "the national security/foreign intelligence exception to grand jury secrecy, the attorney general can provide grand jury information to the chairs of the House Intelligence and Judiciary committees without asking for court permission," Ted Boutrous, a First Amendment litigator who recently asked a federal court for information in a grand jury case related to Mueller.

I agree with this... As said - I am not a lawyer and I assume lawyers and judges will disagree on the topic..

I will say I am all for giving them everything..........

9. H2SO4 macrumors 601

No you don’t. Politics is far more devious and sleazy than that.
    You are assuming the leak comes from the person that received the report. It’s quite possible that an unimportant bit of info is leaked deliberately by the person that provided it.
    Political propaganda isn’t just between countries.

10. Solver macrumors 6502a

So we can’t trust any politician. So much for being ruled by a benevolent dictator or the philosopher king.