Democrats suddenly sound like Donald Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Aug 2, 2017.

1. zin macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    Chuck Schumer just announced the Democrats' new platform on trade. The creator of said platform? Donald Trump.

Couldn't make this up. It took them nine months to announce Donald Trump's trade policy. They quite obviously do not give a ****.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Trump had a very few good policies that he advocated, its good to see the Democrats trying to get us back to bipartisanship and seemingly offering to work with him on some of the areas where they overlap.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If Trump thinks the Democrats are in favor he will change his plans and go the other way.

4. darksithpro macrumors regular

Trump is a master at making promises and entertaining people. He uses simple words and tells people what they want to hear. He's also very entertaining in a non-scripted way.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not give a ****? Wait....are you are now criticizing the policies of the man you have backed all these months? What would you like to see different from the Democrats if you like those proposals? Do you want them to be different just so you can continue to take pot shots at democrats?

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well all i can say is don't be a democrat.

Oh wait..

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

He probably won't explicitly go the other way, but he probably won't prioritize the areas of overlap with Democrats. They have said they are open to working with him on infrastructure spending since the beginning, but he's instead tried to focus on taking insurance away from people.

8. darksithpro macrumors regular

That Schumer list is almost literally identical to Trumps campaign promises.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2017 ---

The Dems are trying to steal Trump's ideas, what a bunch of crap.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I don't think Trump has a monopoly on good ideas. Some of the stuff he proposes is good. Some is not. For instance, you won't see Dems tweeting out a ban on transgender troops policy. Or saying we should take Iran's oil and Afghanistan's minerals as some sort of payment. Or saying we should build some massive wall and forget the EPA. Or say that coal mining jobs are coming back as if they were our future. Or say that climate change is a hoax made by China. Or saying that a 400 lb hacker sitting in their basement was behind what Russia really was. Or saying that Obamacare is dead, or the American Dream is dead.

Still lots and lots of differences....for those that want to look for them and take the blinders off.

10. Zenithal Suspended

I wish the Dems could come up with a better name than "The Better Deal."

11. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

This is a good thing, Democrats are starting to figure out why so many bluedogs and independents that would have otherwise been apposed to Trump, voted for him anyway.

This is exactly the type of policy shift and messaging that will help Democrats get back in touch with working class Americans, their real base.

I didn't leave the Democratic party, the party left me.

12. darksithpro macrumors regular

MAEG: Make America Even Greater?

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It really is horrible. Communications still isn't the Dems strong suit.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Wasn't Trump a democrat before he lost his marbles. So he should be applauding these ideas. He even used to agree with the democrat agenda.

15. Zenithal Suspended

It really is a play on and a butchering of FDR's wordage. Quite cringe inducing.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I know a guy that was just fired who could help.

17. darksithpro macrumors regular

Trump used politicians like other businessmen/women do. Party and campaign donations for his real estate business. He has no real allegiance to either party.
    LOL[​IMG]

18. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

My post was very clear. It took them nine months to basically announce Donald Trump's trade policy. Nine months to do a re-run, almost bullet for bullet, of his platform. Maybe that's why they waited so long. They thought people wouldn't notice they just copied and pasted a policy document from donaldjtrump.com.

The policies are good. It's just a shame it's obvious they're doing it out of opportunism in order to rebuild the blue wall rather than a genuine desire to help blue-collar workers. They're nine months late. Where were these policies when it mattered? They didn't give a crap about the Rust Belt beyond it being part of their EC wall. Not once did Hillary visit Wisconsin and didn't visit Michigan until the final week. They. Didn't. Care. But now they care, since those voters they took for granted rejected them.

And FYI, Obama promised the same stuff in 2008. Amend NAFTA. Renegotiate trade deals. Tough on China. Did none of it. Pursued TPP instead.

So what's your view on the Democrats' platform?

19. darksithpro macrumors regular

It's like watching the film: Pirates of Silicon Valley.

20. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I've got to give the Left credit for trying to define a platform. It's sorely needed.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No. That guy blanks his own blank. :D

My view is that I largely agree with you now that I understand your point better. I think the Dems are of two mindsets: the stodgy old guard who's stay the course strategy got them into the trouble they are in now. Then there are younger people with much more energy, better ideas and much much better messaging. People like this person who just declared as candidate for congress:

But I think Republicans have the same problem. Just that most people aren't talking about it because in addition to that they also are fractured into all these little tribes that can't get anything done because they agree on little. Paul Ryan may be physically young, but he has old Republican ideas. Mitch McConnell is a dinosaur. Both parties need fresh blood. Over time that will happen, but in the meantime it's going to be a little painful.

22. darksithpro macrumors regular

#ABetterDeal

Not only are they copying talking points of Trump's campaign, but they are also using his overly simplistic verbiage too. Simple power words like Big/Bigger, Better, and Jobs are repeated over and over again.

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

So despite all the fun to be had poking fun and whatnot...whoever made that platform - it should be judged on it's ideas. I don't find any particular fault in it - and couldn't care less if it was Trump advancing it or the Democrats - if it's a sound policy - do it. Yet, this comes with a caveat: The Devil's in the details. Even if the referenced policy was the same for Trump and the Democrats, the execution of it is the rub. Each bulleit-point could be tackled in different ways depending on who's tackling them...if you agree with the basic ideas of that Platform - would you side with Trump and the GOP to execute them effectively, or would you the Democrats? Pragmatism, not Barnum and Baileys...does anyone want this Country to function, or is it all about scoring ideological points?
    <rant> Is everyone crazy? There used to be some civility and pragmatism in Government (and their respective Voters). I used to deeply respect Conservative Political thought. I think GHWB is one of the most-underrated Presidents ever. Yet, that's not relevant anymore - it's all reactionary crap. Congress hasn't been able to do their most basic functions effectively for nearly 20 years, as they're more interested in posturing. Now, in the Trump era, the Electorate can't do their most basic functions either (vote responsibly) for the same reason. I don't see how we as a Nation get past this...it's profoundly depressing. The GOP is a raging schizophrenic bull in a China shop and the DNC is like a deer in the headlights...God help us all.<end rant>

24. darksithpro macrumors regular

So that's the plan, huh? Rob him of his own ideas and run it with a more mainstream platform. Just like Gates did with Windows in the early 90's.:rolleyes:
    Look at this doozie! It's almost Trump verbatim during the presidential election. China as a currency manipulator, stealing jobs and technology, really dems? I mean C'mon Democrats, get your own ****.

25. kobalap macrumors 6502

Listed here is many of what is wrong with Trump's/democrats' policies. They are misguided at best.