Democrats to support gay marriage at convention

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yep, it's apparently going to be written into their platform.

Frankly I think this is a pretty gutsy move. Yes, a majority of Americans now approves, this may be a deal-breaker issue for some independents...in what's going to be a very close election.

It's still the right thing to do, though. And high time, too.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Very gutsy.

But you have to wonder how much of this is going to cost them in the non-minority Southern vote. This could turn several more districts in already-Red states even more Red.

BL.

4. 184550 Guest

While I'm glad that it'll be written into their platform I don't think doing so right before such a close election is exactly a brilliant move. IMO, it'd be smarter to do this the day after the election and then let it simmer down over the next four years so that everyone will have forgotten about/ had more time to get use to by 2016.

Though I'm sure wise men than me at the DNC have mulled this over. :rolleyes:

Perhaps they think the boost they're going to get from Clinton getting a prime spot at the DNC will get them over this 'announcement'.

5. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Yes, Red. Red with the blood of innocent civilians once my plan moves into it's final stages.

6. Zerozal macrumors 6502

The Southern states are already solidly red. Red is red. How red is irrelevant.

This is a very good move by the Democrats--this may very well sway some independents away from the republican side.

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

As well as motivate some younger voters, now that I think about it.

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Good to see Democrats, like The New And Improved June 2012 Barack Obama, are now pro-gay marriage.

I can't believe anyone ever supported the Democratic Party when they weren't officially pro-gay marriage. Such bigots.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

There have been plenty of Democrats who are "pro gay marriage". And whether it is "official" or not, all I care about are results. And if Obama wins - I expect to see a lot of them in the next 4 years. We've been promised a lot over the years and we've been let down a lot.

And it may be a joke for you - or a chance to get a weak little dig in - but for those of us whose lives are effected by this, it's a big deal. It's obvious you don't care much for civil rights, so I'm not sure why you would even click on this thread.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not entirely true. Consider a Blue representative in the House in a district which is surrounded by districts that are predominately red. For example, Birmingham (I don't know if that's true, but just follow the anecdote). This may convince voters in that Blue District to vote in a Republican, turning that district Red. Luckily, the House doesn't use any of this "super majority" crap.

Not saying that any of this will happen, but the situation could exist.

Good move indeed, and I support it. I just wonder about the consequences for the Blues: both positive and negative. Here is as good a place as any to discuss.

BL.

11. 184550 Guest

For instance, our representative in NC to the House is a Democrat. Though with the gerrymandering redistricting, that won't be the case much longer I'm afraid.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That gerrymandering redistricting is a huge part of the reason our congress is in grid lock. They are not scared of the general at all. They are scared losing in the primary and primaries are when the more extreme ends of each party tend to be the only voters.

13. leekohler, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We knew that the Dems and Obama were for it already. It has been an unspoken fact for years. Obama did what he needed to do at the time to get elected, and he has delivered on his promises to us- DADT is history and DOMA is no longer defended. Obama delivered on equal rights, as promised.

Bottom line- are you for or against civil rights?

The GOP now has to explain why they are anti-equal rights. You have no idea what ammo this is. Opposition to gay rights is no longer a gift to the GOP, it's now a problem for them.

Obama played his cards well.

I can only assume you are against equal rights at this point, kavvy. Something I always suspected.

14. leekohler, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

But do any independents really think that the Dems aren't pro-gay marriage at this point? I mean if they are upset at the party supporting it, wouldn't they already be upset at the President for supporting it anyway? I think people are applying this to the Presidential race too much when they should be more concerned with the Senate and House races. This will open the door to people running in those races as being in with teh gays! It may have a negative impact. But like Thomas said, still the right thing to do.

Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out either way.

17. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Each time I read his name for some reason Kava comes to mind, something you grind up and dry for the benefit of others.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, and all I hear are crickets chirping, as usual.

19. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Good point, you are correct. I wasn't thinking about representation in the House; I was just thinking along the lines of overall # of state Electors for the Presidential election.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Waiting? This isn't twitter, people come to post at their leisure.I don't mean to speak for kavika, but I doubt he's against equal rights. Rather he's baffled at the difference in reaction when the obama administration was against same sex marriage-- just to get elected-- and the reaction was soft at best, while the CEO of a fast food chain with the same opinion is now considered SATAN!!!!!!11

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I have no doubt that Kavika is baffled about something....:rolleyes:

And let's be frank - There's a difference between being against gay marriage and funding hate groups intent on making sure you don't receive equal rights.

I don't think anyone is going to pretend that the Democrats (or any politicians) for that matter have always had our best interests at heart. It's one reason why I hate politics. People have to throw their own morality and beliefs away sometimes in order to get elected.

That said, this is a big deal for our community. We are entering an important stage here, and the fact that is will become an official part of the platform is a huge step for those of us in the middle of the fight.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Please do tell OG- who has actually delivered on civil rights for us?

Come on OG, you know the answer, even though it kills you to admit it.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Ignorance, as you know Lee, is bliss. To even compare the 2 is showing how petty and desperate some people are to justify bigotry and hatred.

24. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

When exactly did we start referring to groups who promote things we disagree with as hate groups?

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- it's more that they hate being wrong, even though they know they are. They would rather sacrifice the truth, than admit they are wrong. It's unreal.

How many times do we have to point this out? How many times are you going to try this? Many of the groups supported by Chick-Fil-A have been designated hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Center, NOT US. If you don't like that, take it up with them. And furthermore, it's not beliefs we have a problem with, it's actions. Jesus ****ing Christ, I'm sick of the dishonesty.