Democrats VS progressives.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/if-progressives-dont-wake-up-to-how-awful-obama-was-their-movement-will-fail-291fc214325f

I can understand why pro-establishment liberals are defending this man; he stands for everything they stand for. If all you stand for is vapid tribalism and vanity politics and you are willing to sacrifice integrity along with economic and social justice and the lives of other people’s kids in corporatist wars overseas in order to feel like you’re on the right team, Obama is your man. But if you’re an actual, real progressive and not just a latte-sipping NPR listener with a sense of self-righteousness and a pro-choice bumper sticker, you’ve got no business regarding Obama with anything but disgust.
most here are democrats. Kudos to code pink for staying the course.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This is the notion I've been trying to put across here for years. It's why the immense outpouring of support in Obama's "return" annoys me to no end.

Reactions: tshrimp and jkcerda

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
says the democrat. :D
I actually consider myself more independent. And you have to admit - the piece is just foaming at the mouth. It's ok to agree with it (of course) - but if it were written about someone else, people would call it for what it is - a tirade.

Reactions: Huntn

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I actually consider myself more independent. And you have to admit - the piece is just foaming at the mouth. It's ok to agree with it (of course) - but if it were written about someone else, people would call it for what it is - a tirade.
the piece is spot on.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Then let's not get bogged down away from the point by the style it was delivered, yes?
I think it's fair to comment on it since it's somewhat extreme. Like I also wrote - if this were about someone else or another situation, I'm fairly certain the same would be said.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I think it's fair to comment on it since it's somewhat extreme. Like I also wrote - if this were about someone else or another situation, I'm fairly certain the same would be said.
I guess we have a different view of what constitutes "extreme", especially when it just comes to criticism.

Everyone here knows my views on the the DNC/Democratic Party, this critique holds true for the vast majority of the "third way-ers" of which Obama (and Clinton) were defining examples.

Reactions: jkcerda

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Why do republicans hate him so much, he's one of them.
Why are Wall Street firms organizing mother****ing healthcare conferences, one might understandably ask? And why are they hiring the man who just completed an eight-year war on progressive healthcare policy and a torrid love affair with Wall Street criminals? These are extremely reasonable questions that might be asked by anyone who is intelligent and emotionally masochistic enough to look straight at this thing, and the answer, of course, is America. That’s what America is now. The man who continued and expanded all of Bush’s most evil policies, created a failed state in Libya, exponentially expanded the civilian-slaughtering US drone program which Chomsky calls “the most extreme terrorist campaign of modern times” to unprecedented levels, facilitated the Orwellian expansion of the US surveillance state while prosecuting more whistleblowers than all previous administrations combined, and used charm and public sympathy to evade the drastic environmental policy changes we’ll need to avert climate disaster and lull the progressive movement into a dead sleep for eight years now gets paid nearly half a million dollars an hour to continue bolstering the exploitative corporatist nightmare he’s dedicated his life to. American University has compiled data indicating that the already extremely wealthy Obama family may end up being worth as much as $242 million in their post-White House years, and if Barry keeps whoring himself out like this, he might exceed even that.[\quote]

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Why does anyone like Trump - he stands for everything and nothing at the same time lol
I honestly believe his empty words are useful for his supporters to project their own thinking into. How many supporters have you talked to where they utter the line "no but you see he was actually saying this (something completely different from the quote follows)....."

Reactions: samcraig

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
We got the "anti-establishment" guy in the oval office right now, hows that working out? It is impossible to be POTUS and hold the ideological purity that some of these whack jobs expect.

Reactions: Herdfan

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
HAVING morals/ethics/values = whack job? :rolleyes:
1. Everyone's are different.
2. They don't always mix well with politics.

I'd suspect the author wouldn't be happy unless Obama was committing acts of eco terrorism in order to stop the pipeline. Then maybe he's be one of them.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
so why the love affair after the POS worthless politicians show their true colors?
that's what many here don't get, it's like you are going to lose your friends/family for not continuing to tow the party line.
Me personally? LOL.

I'll just say it. I would vote for Obama over Trump any day of the week, twice on Sundays. That's not about having a love affair with Obama. It's about my disdain for Trump.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Me personally? LOL.

I'll just say it. I would vote for Obama over Trump any day of the week, twice on Sundays. That's not about having a love affair with Obama. It's about my disdain for Trump.
That's the thing. I was not a huge Obama fan but compared to Trump he is the Pope.

Reactions: samcraig