Dems are stupid.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Jan 10, 2017.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Dems should welcome Jared Kushner, Donald Trump's son-in-law, to be his top advisor.

This would be one more non politically locked voice in Trump administration.
    Plus would be a better person to prevent Trump from tweeting nationally damaging stuff.

But then again the Dems been doing a lot of stupid things lately.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the dems are just like the repubs.
    repubs complained about everything Obama did. now the dems get to be the complaining side, welcome to Murika.

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Saying it wrong.

Welcome 2 'MURICA! ;)

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

"Democrats should be happy a Republican president picked a family member to be his senior advisor."

5. 5684697, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  6. samcraig macrumors P6

Heard of nepotism?
    And prevent Trump from tweeting damaging stuff? Who do you think was one of the people who encouraged Trump to tweet during his campaign as a tactic?

Wow.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I think that Kushner is not a good choice. Not because he is not a capable man, he's probably very smart, but for the look of nepotism. Granted that "advisers" are seldom very important, but I would stay far from this.
    I mean... I am even against the office of the first lady...

8. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

+1 because saying 'Murica triggers some folks here.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's interesting that the reason that White House personnel are exempt from nepotism rules is because of court ruling made necessary because Pres. Bill Clinton pushed for Hillary Clinton to become part of the healthcare initiative.

Nepotism aside, Kushner is probably a good man to have in the White House, but I'm not convinced that we should abandon our principles in order to blunt the antics of Donald Trump. Moreover, he's just one more guy with strong ties to investment banks and financial houses.

10. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

These anti-nepotism laws came in 40 years ago... due to the last time the Republicans elected a crook and everything fell apart.

What about this 36 year old man's CV makes you think him qualified for the role? Would his own merits have got him there under a Cruz or Kasich administration?

11. kobalap macrumors 6502

If we are going to be honest, the almost trillion dollar stimulus package passed in Obama's first term gave me and many middle income Americans a tax cut. None for the 1%.

I would have loved for those tax cuts to continue but congress was not having any of it. Instead, they settled on arbitrary spending cuts and increased taxes.

Everybody has to play ball to get things done. If people (congress) don't compromise, then they need to accept their share of the blame.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

First Lady and her pursuits in office are one thing (we had that thread already, no? Good points raised all around iirc).

It strikes me that First Daughter in the incoming administration is more problematic, since Ivanka has or will have had (if she divests herself of them) biz interests shared with her father and brothers all these years, plus whatever biz matters of her and her husband's families may have become intertwined since Jared and Ivanka got married. It's really bizarre too that we'll have a First Family in NY while also in DC, at least until the end of the school year. Keep wondering what the GOP would think if a Democrat had cut that deal. There are extra expenses.

Jared Kushner landing as senior advisor to the President is not a very good idea, I completely agree. It may be the only way Trump can actually be managed while he's President. If that's the case this country has really messed up. Are we saying the way around an Article 25 removal for incapacity is to have kin stand in as First Daughter and Senior Advisor even from the moment of inauguration? Even during transition...

Kushner was campaign manager in fact if not in name, at the end, tactically speaking. He's married to The First Daughter. He's a real estate magnate in his own right along with his family. ' Supposedly he's divesting himself of the most serious conflict-prone interests by selling them to his family (which puts them in a bind to come up with the money, among other issues, so let's not ask where some of that might come from since the financing they already have is opaque and partly from foreign sources).

And then he expects to be able to just recuse himself from providing input to Trump on issues where remaining conflicts might reside. Seriously? Leaving aside the nepotism issue, and considering this is "just" an advisor to president gig, not a Cabinet position, exactly where is the FOIA-worthy audit trail of who said what to whom when Jared Kushner does or does not advise Trump on some policy issue?? Yet Jamie Gorelick, a former deputy AG for Clinton serving to advise Kushner on the ins and outs here, says yeah his current holdings and Kushner can be sufficiently divorced from each other or identified as requiring recusal. Other ethic experts seem less certain.

Yet apparently Trump insists, because he trusts Kushner. And, Ivanka. Not too tribal, his innermost circle.

LOL Republicans crack me up. A tribal operation in the White House.

Yet during Obama's administration, the GOP has made a brouhaha over whether we're arming terrorists when we make temporary alliances with tribes in Central Asia or the Middle East, or try to recruit in assorted tribes for the purpose of finding out what the hell they're up to. Doing what must be done to get anywhere in tribal cultures where "enemy" is the same word as "cousin"... this month. It is what Republicans and Democrats alike did for decades, but became the wrong thing to do once again when power switched hands in 2008. Beauty, eye of beholder...

Comes the next switch and now we have an incoming Republican President who only trusts kin to advise him on matters of state. And the media need not apply to see his financial documents. His own kin, yeah, oh and a handful of Cabinet picks and advisors who've got a track record of getting along well with Vladimir Putin whose country attempted to influence the election, preferring Trump to Clinton. What could go wrong. By the way, Putin plays the tribal games,financing the journeys of separatist Muslims aching to throw bombs in Chechnya on over to Syria... and managed to get a lot of those jihadis over there before then signing up to help Assad resolve his "terrorist" problems. Maybe that's not quite how the US plays that game. Beauty, eye of beholder....

Here's an interesting piece (if you are not completely opposed to reading opinions with which you may disagree) on the pros and cons of having Kusher in a formalized role that he might otherwise occupy anyway --as family-- with no preceding attempts to remove conflicts of interest. In other words, it could be worse. And in fact Trump does have other ethical issues that could indeed be worse. But maybe they can be resolved or steamrolled over by Jan 20.

OK then. Let's inaugurate the Trump tribe and see what happens! Looks like we're gonna do it anyway.

We need someone to take the tune for God Save the King/Queen and get it to God Save the Constitution just in case Trump asks some band to strike that anthem up on January 20th. Really I wonder why we're all sitting around gawking at this stuff. We're stunned, I guess. So much of it's unprecedented. And it hasn't even launched yet.

13. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

In the typical case, I agree he should not by nepotism.

But Trump is not typical, this election is not typical, nothing is typical.

Besides
    JFK did this (Robert)
    Clinton did this (Hillary)
    and I am not sure but I think Reagan did with son in a very minor position (could be wrong, don't quote me).

And it's not like Kushner wont be watched.

14. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

All those previous cases featured people who were clearly qualified though - they could have realistically got those roles if the president was different.

Kushner is young man who inherited a property business and has zero declared relevant experience or public service.

15. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Not a good idea, or was that "not" in wrong place?
    Not sure what you mean.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2017 ---
    Point, but then compare Kushner to Trump (on political skills, not just that Trump was elected)

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

My understanding is that JFK's choice of Bobby Kennedy for AG predicated the rule, and the Clintons successfully kept the rule from being applied to the White House. (I don't understand why the White House is always given a loophole in this regard.)

So, now Trump can legally bring Kushner to the White House.

I'm not sure about Reagan's son, I don't see anything in a quick search. Nonetheless, it's bit ridiculous for the President to hire his family as advisors.

17. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Yes and technically it is. But the reasons for it are to keep a President, or any office holder for that matter, from being able to enrich family members. I doubt he will take a salary so enrichment there. And even if he is not officially in that position, nothing would stop Trump from seeking his counsel. All the official position does is allow him access to Top Secret stuff.

18. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Oh, don't get me wrong: from what we know, Kushner seems to be wildly more appropriate, in terms of innate ability and character, than Trump for a leadership role. I'd go as far to say that he and Ivanka seem to almost have a caring role for Trump.

But Trump was elected: the people voted. Appointments are an entirely different matter: there's a shedload of rules and laws for a reason, because they patch up previous holes that were abused.

Kushner might be a great, talented guy... but *anyone* getting one of these roles should be talented, because they're incredibly hard, powerful jobs. That's the baseline. You also need to actually know what you're doing (ie, usually through a long CV of similar experience and a proven track record). He has literally nothing like that.

19. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Hmmm, I heard on NPR this morning that the nepotism law came about because JFK appointed Bobby Kennedy. They are not Republicans.

It doesn't sound like anyone thought Bobby Kennedy was qualified, not even JFK himself:

Shortly after naming his brother attorney general, Jack Kennedy told family friends, in jest, that he “just wanted to give him a little legal practice before he becomes a lawyer.”
    It stung because it was true. At age 35, RFK had just a few years of government service under his belt; he had worked as legal counsel to two Senate committees—jobs that his father and brother had arranged for him—but otherwise claimed no qualification for the role of attorney general.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...on-johnson-bobby-kennedy-trump-kushner-214465

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

On enrichment, it's not enough that Kushner doesn't earn a salary as policy decisions could still help him financially. That's why many offices require people to put their assets in blind trusts; Kushner is apparently divesting himself of some things and a spokeswoman said he'll recuse himself when necessary.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

A terrible idea. Even if it is the only way Trump can handle being President.

Kushner belongs someplace else. Ivanka belongs someplace else.

Other presidents have had adult children who were just carrrying on their own lives. They turned up at the White House as family members for special occasions. Sounds best to me.

Trump is turning the White house into the executive suite of a family business. They all lived and breathed business together before this election catapulted him into this job. He has no experience in government, nor do the other two. Nor, in fact, do most of his Cabinet. Nor Priebus, nor Bannon. They're all strong minded people, they're not on the same page, they like to stir the pot but they've never lived in the pressure cooker of the Presidency. And I hope they don't think the pressures of the transition are any sort of equivalent.

Should be interesting, kinda like one of those theme park rides, as long as nothing important breaks.

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Seriously?

23. Herdfan macrumors 6502

As long as he has a phone and email he can still be consulted and dispense advice. Would you rather it be public or private?

24. macmee Suspended

macmee

Just ignore him. Probably forgot to have his annual CAT scan.

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm more concerned about Kushner's financial conflicts of interest, which would be considerable and almost imossible to resolve without ocntroversy.

And then there is the fact that he seems to have ambitions wildly at odds with his level of knowledge, experience, and contacts.

Trump has touted Kushner as being potentially able to resolve the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians. (A goal, might I add that has eluded seventy years of America's best diplomats, scholars, and politicians) on the basis of him being a Jew who had actually visited Israel. But when questioned about this, most Israeli (and pretty much every Palestinian) leaders claimed they'd never heard of him. There is also the little matter of being a Jew, associated with a demagogic American who has called for rounding up and exclusion of Muslims. Its hardly the sort of position thats going to engender trust among the Palestinians.